weird question, TV emulating speakers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

weird question, TV emulating speakers?

Post by beats me » Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 am

So I'm getting my media center all set up in the living room and I have a surround sound system but the problem is I really don't need to be watching the news or reruns of Seinfeld in boomy surround sound. More importantly, neither do my neighbors. So I thought I'd ask you people if you have any recommendations for speakers that are on par with built in TV speakers, loud and clear enough for a living room but not shooting large amounts of bass through the walls and floor. I'm also not looking to drop a fortune here.

In my search for different surround sound systems I've discovered that bass reduction is either an exotic or expensive feature, wtf?

b0unce

Re: weird question, TV emulating speakers?

Post by b0unce » Tue May 19, 2009 1:10 pm

what kind of surround sound system are you using ? All the ones I've used have decent amps that allow you to select what speakers are in full affect, so you can switch to plain old STEREO at the flick of a switch. The bass can be turned down, too. Amazing!
spreader of butter

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm

yeah bro, sounds like you've got your sub cranked??? The Volume knob is your friend. :wink:
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

12 Theory

Post by 12 Theory » Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Yeah, it sounds like you need a surround receiver that memorizes your EQ settings for each mode (DVD, TV, CD, etc.). So you would have for example: full surround for DVD mode, but flat EQ for TV, etc. Most decent receivers are capable of this and I'm betting you could find one on ebay for $50 that would do the trick.

I've had a JVC receiver for years that does it for me... the last thing I want to hear is an infomercial with Billy Mays yelling at me about a product through the wrong EQ curve!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 pm

I have a cheapish ($200) Philips all-in-one system and I don't aspire to much more than that. It doesn't have an EQ and instead has different genre settings. Also there is no bass reduction knob on the sub. It's fine for movies but not really ideal for basic TV watching or music in some cases. But when I looked into similar systems that were about double the price they didn't have an EQ either. There's countless "too boomy for my apartment" reviews across the board.

I guess I should have also clarified that everything will be running through a computer so computer speakers will probably be the best option. I'm not really looking to piece together the perfect system component by component, more money than I am willing to spend. Even if I got a decent reciever for cheap then I would still have to buy speakers. But in the realm of computer speakers they seem to be either really boomy or garbage.

Like I said in the title, weird question.

Side note, ever try DJing on a Bose surround system? What a misleading and crap translation mess.