im BORED of just playing clips. . . Live Show!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
benjamingordon

im BORED of just playing clips. . . Live Show!

Post by benjamingordon » Mon May 18, 2009 10:26 pm

hi. . .

im trying to put together my live show and im find it very very hard.

i have all my tracks from my album broken down into bits.

At the moment they are just clips and its boring triggering them.

i want to be able to play the samples in live and showing the audience that im doing something.

my idea is to put each songs samples layed out on my 49 key keyboard using drum rack.

the disadvantage of this is that i can only overdub. i cant separate out my parts.

im planning to buy a lemur to have more hands on control over my parts but im trying to figure out just how to do this.

does anyone have any ideas?

cheers, benji :)

myxomat0515

Re: im BORED of just playing clips. . . Live Show!

Post by myxomat0515 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 am

Practice?

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 am

use your IMAGINATTTTTTTION.

perhaps do somethign besides launching clips. like effects.

or transitions.

or maybe just do a jig everytime you trigger a new clip.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue May 19, 2009 5:45 am

Superchibisan wrote:or maybe just do a jig everytime you trigger a new clip.
That's what you want Benji...

Buy one of these dance mats...
...for the price of a Lemur, you could probably get 100 of these. Next, ask your local midibox/arduino expert to build an interface for you that converts your awesome dance moves to midi.

i.e. practise and use your imagination... :)

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 am

ha ha ha ha. . .

i gotcha people. . .

i think its just the live looping thing thats getting me.

not being able to separate out my parts without multiple tracks is really the issue. . .

ill def be pouring a glass of red wine when a french sample comes on. . .

cheers peeps :lol:

clarknova

Post by clarknova » Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 pm

The best thing is of course to have indicidual parts- drums, bass, synths. But if you only have cut up stereomixes I would definately try tweaking some effects. Punch in some beatrepeater or something. Or you could try overdubbing the clips playing with an additional synth. Or throwing in some extra beats and tweaking those.

Good luck to you.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Wed May 20, 2009 12:32 am

GET 8. it has a looper thinger.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Wed May 20, 2009 12:57 am

i think i have an issue with not being able to have control over my parts.

im going to go on stage not knowing what im gonna do and i need to know where my parts are going and how im going to mute and solo them when i need to. . .

i have midi tracks with drum rack containing samples from my tracks which i play in over a beat and loop as a clip in that track but i have to put them all into 1 clip as you cant have multiple clips on one track. . .

am i explaining myself ok?

cheers, benji :) :) :)

WmR

Post by WmR » Thu May 21, 2009 1:03 am

have you checked out any allen and heath products?

Xone 3d, or 1d

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Thu May 21, 2009 6:50 pm

You know you could set up two midi tracks, one with a sampler, and one with just the recorded notes to trigger those samples, then you pass the midi output of that track into the one containing the sampler, and set that track to always receive midi info (set it to monitor "in" instead of auto).... now you can have your recorded midi notes being fed into the sampler from another track, and yet you can still play the keyboard to trigger the samples at the same time..... If you add yet a third midi track and set it up to feed the keyboard note input to the sampler track the same way the second track does, you can even use dummy clips on the first one to trigger instrument rack chain selection so you can use the same tracks for multiple songs...

One fun thing I do, is that I make a bunch of midi clips that have a one shot note on them that triggers a sample.... then I midi map those clips to pads on my padKontrol... and set their launch quantization to 1/8th.... now when you play live and start hitting buttons to trigger samples they correct your timing and are exactly in time with the track.

Play around there are tons of ways.... you gotta find what you like and what works for you.. I'm currently working on a FULLY IMPROVISED LIVESET with NO PRERECORDED MATERIAL :)

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Thu May 21, 2009 8:46 pm

why would you perform the stuff you released at the first place.
people can listen that to your cd (or mp3 or whatever) and you can take the pressure off your back a bit and...play around.

DRStudio

Post by DRStudio » Fri May 22, 2009 12:05 am

You should definitely check out the Tom Cosm's tutorials if you haven't yet, specially the ones where he explains about dummy clips and follow actions ("Megaset" and "moving from the studio to live laptop performance"). Lots of inspiring tips and tricks there.

moodles

Post by moodles » Fri May 22, 2009 4:36 am

Ruso,

I'd like to hear more about the set you are working on.

I've been wanting to move from just recording tracks to live performance, but I don't want to be stuck just recreating my songs. I definitely want to have some improvised content too, but I'm not really sure how to make that happen.

bt12

Post by bt12 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 pm

shlomo wrote:why would you perform the stuff you released at the first place.
people can listen that to your cd (or mp3 or whatever) and you can take the pressure off your back a bit and...play around.
yeah, know they key of your songs so you can mix clips from different songs together, make new beats to add in, and edit the clips live(volume dips, loop length, pitch, etc) and most of all PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and that will for sure lead to new ideas ad ways of playing.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Ruso wrote:You know you could set up two midi tracks, one with a sampler, and one with just the recorded notes to trigger those samples, then you pass the midi output of that track into the one containing the sampler, and set that track to always receive midi info (set it to monitor "in" instead of auto).... now you can have your recorded midi notes being fed into the sampler from another track, and yet you can still play the keyboard to trigger the samples at the same time..... If you add yet a third midi track and set it up to feed the keyboard note input to the sampler track the same way the second track does, you can even use dummy clips on the first one to trigger instrument rack chain selection so you can use the same tracks for multiple songs...

One fun thing I do, is that I make a bunch of midi clips that have a one shot note on them that triggers a sample.... then I midi map those clips to pads on my padKontrol... and set their launch quantization to 1/8th.... now when you play live and start hitting buttons to trigger samples they correct your timing and are exactly in time with the track.

Play around there are tons of ways.... you gotta find what you like and what works for you.. I'm currently working on a FULLY IMPROVISED LIVESET with NO PRERECORDED MATERIAL :)
Im not sure why i need to have another separate track to feed midi notes into another track with a sampler on it? The sampler track is midi able. . .

:)