Music you hate...... And why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Salty P

Music you hate...... And why?

Post by Salty P » Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Anyone who's been dabbling in music production for a while should be able to appreciate good technique in all musical forms. Having said that, we all have genres of music that we hate :evil: , and I'm curious to find out what they are and why?

Personally I absolutely hate PSY-TARNCE, I like music to have some balls, and not bore me to tears with endless floaty pads and crash cymbals. I've been to shit-loads of psy-trance raves - mainly because any mash up's better than staying at home on your own :) - and they always end the same way, get wrecked, try to dance, get bored, sit down, bitch to a mate about how wank the music is, middle class hippy comes over and tells me 'how great the vibe is' or about 'connections with people' or <insert floaty/spiritual nonsense here>, find out there's a really small room playing something else, spend the rest of the night in there.

Plenty of people will disagree and love PSY for the exact reasons I hate it, so I'm curious what genres do you hate? Is it just the music, or do the things you associate with the music fuel the hate more?

Oh and don't take an attack on your favourite style personally, it's just a bit of fun :lol:

sdmiddleton

Re: Music you hate...... And why?

Post by sdmiddleton » Fri May 22, 2009 1:15 pm

From The karaoke dolls singing that the same song we've been hearing for years to the high powered jazz musicians who just get turned on by technique followed by the middle class rapper grunting 'victory over hardship' whilst killing a sample from a 70's legend whilst naked girls wash cars in the background...

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri May 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Sutton's so full of hate nowadays, ever since they shut down the Seeny Todd's restaurant at the top of the high street. :wink:

For me it's current rnb, Akon, 50cent, any of that. It's childrens music and make me feel sick.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Loathe R&B, Hip Hop, RAP etc

Not much into most 'hard core' flavours of most genres either - they tend to take some basic defining elements of their parent genre exagerate that beyond any sense and squeeze all life and soul out of it in the process.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Gab

Post by Gab » Fri May 22, 2009 1:41 pm

What are genres, apart from sets of codes that are to be broken?

I don't hate any genre; but I can't appreciate music that only sticks to its genre's codes without any originality. I listen to music, not to clichés.

(That was my snobbish frencheese contribution to the topic.)
Last edited by Gab on Fri May 22, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Fri May 22, 2009 1:41 pm

its not the music i hate its the people who listen to the music I hate that I hate.

pop music. people who listen to pop music... what kind of music do you like? "well i like every type of music".... no, you like pop music, you don't like drum n bass or idm drone music do you...? eh whats that.

new bands..... i fucking hate new bands. kisar chefs, I like experianced bands playing music. i dont like new bands playing pop music whilst wearing jeans and baggy t shirts.

its a lot of shit.

drako

Post by drako » Fri May 22, 2009 2:05 pm

1 Most software produced house/dance whatever you call it.
A: There is nothing special in it, most of the time copied riffs from early house tunes.
B: Typical arrangement mostly taught by reading computer music magazines i guess.
C: All sound the same using the same soft synths, same samples, lacks creativity, lacks self input, mixed very digital, totally has no soul.
D: Personally get a everyone can do it feeling from it.

2 Auto tune tracks.
A: Get car illness from it.

3 Covers/ Copy music.
A Well not all, depends how it's done, but it seems that lately due whatever reason (crisis?, downloads?, no talent? public demand?)a lot of people play safe to just cover or copy a tune to score.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri May 22, 2009 2:08 pm

Salty P wrote:we all have genres of music that we hate
Speak for yourself.

1, Hate is a very stong word
2, I may dislike a particular piece of music, but a whole genre (whatever that may be)? I hope that I'm a little more open minded.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Salty P wrote: Personally I absolutely hate PSY-TARNCE
Ab-so-fucking-lutely. Seriously the WORST electronic genre out there. Fucking bury it in concrete I say.
Regarding the psy-pants raves you're attending, man...those middle class dickwads sound like a fucking pleasure compared to psy-pants raves organised by the ketamine scoffing junkies & krusties of france and spain.

Seriously, fuck those people, fuck their raves, fucking douse their sound systems in patchouli (it's flammable right?) and set them alight.
For the good of all humanity and future musical endeavor.

Second to psy-pants, Country & Western (not to be confused with folk music).

Everything else is A-OK.
spreader of butter

Gab

Post by Gab » Fri May 22, 2009 2:24 pm

b0unce wrote:
Salty P wrote: Personally I absolutely hate PSY-TARNCE
Ab-so-fucking-lutely. Seriously the WORST electronic genre out there. Fucking bury it in concrete I say.
Regarding the psy-pants raves you're attending, man...those middle class dickwads sound like a fucking pleasure compared to the psy-pants raves organised by the ketamine scoffing junkies & krusties of france and spain.

Seriously, fuck those people, fuck their raves, fucking douse their sound systems in patchouli (it's flammable right?) and set them alight.
So much tolerance and open-mindedness :lol: (and tongue in cheek, maybe)

Seriously, there is both shit and jewels in every genre, narrowing one to what you don't like in it is not the best way to open your mind.

*goes back to listening Astral Projection* (does this qualify as psytrance? I'm not that into putting artists into labelled boxes)
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 22, 2009 2:27 pm

look man, just because you're capable of washing yourself AND liking psy-pants.... That doesn't make it an acceptable genre, or the majority of it's european fans any less reprehensible.

:P

Oh, I just realised that I accidentally inferred they wear patchouli ...they don't. If i were to try and narrow it down it would be something like 'Eau De Cat Piss'
spreader of butter

the spirograph crew

Post by the spirograph crew » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Rave wrote:Anything that is refered to using one or more of the following words:
Dirty, twisted, electro, funky or sexy. :evil:

99% of the time it aint.
+1 :!: :!:
A PIECE OF SHIT HAS A THOUSAND EYES.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:49 pm

i hate electronic music 8O

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 22, 2009 2:57 pm

you guys are too close to the problem, think again.

lets ponder those guys with tousled hair who sing in breathy/gruff voices about the inner pain of guitar strummy love. I have no idea what this music is called or even any band names, but I do know that at some point in the past 5 years all weak indie bands got told by their managers to affect a constipated breathy laryngitis tone to convey the deep sincerity that they feeel insssiiiiiiiide about being both edgy, and gravelly.

I assume this stuff is aimed to please the lay-deez, who are apparently suckers for a pained vocal style and some insistent chuggy guitar chords

I found an example. I have no idea who this twat is, but he's a bad man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxCNx5LY5c

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Fri May 22, 2009 2:58 pm

twisted-space wrote:
Salty P wrote:we all have genres of music that we hate
Speak for yourself.

1, Hate is a very stong word
2, I may dislike a particular piece of music, but a whole genre (whatever that may be)? I hope that I'm a little more open minded.

Good for you, maybe one day I'll reach that level of consciousness, untill then I'll keep the hate :evil:

Oh and by the way, the whole 'what is a genre' argument is cop out bullshit, and exactly the response I'd expect from someone who like psy-tarnce :lol: