Novation iPhone / iTouch Automap App

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
acatcalledanarchy

Novation iPhone / iTouch Automap App

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Thank you for expressing your interest in the iPhone/iPod touch Application - we now have the first version ready for testing. Please follow the instructions below:

Installation:

*Please note, currently only compatible with Mac OS 10.5x (Leopard)*

The application allows you to use your device (iPhone/iPod touch) as a wireless Automap hardware controller over a WiFi network

Therefore first of all, your Mac which you use to run Automap, and your iPhone/iPod touch must be on the same network.

Once you have done this, you then need to do the following:

1) Download and install the latest Beta release (3.1b3) of Automap here: http://beta.novationmusic.com/automap/

2) Mount the attached volume "Automap_iPhone-1.0b1.dmg", which contains two seperate files - "Automap_Testing.mobileprovision" and "Automap.app"

4) Open iTunes, drag the file "Automap_Testing.mobileprovision" onto the iTunes icon in the dock (you only need to do this once)

5) Drag the file "Automap.app" into your iTunes Library, you should now see "Automap" listed in your Applications within iTunes

6) Sync your iPhone/iPod making sure that "Automap" is checked in the Applications tab

Once this is done, launch Automap on your Mac, and launch the Automap application on your iPhone/iPod, you should see your Mac running Automap in the list of available servers.

Select the appropriate server, and begin controlling!

If you experience issues connecting to Automap, you may need to disable any Firewalls you have running (if using Airport you might want to set up a dedicated wireless network).

A few known issues so far:

+ Issue with HUI Pan control
+ Default HUI mapping/layout has not yet been created
+ Some web links are yet to be implemented

We have not included any user documentation as we are interested in your user experience with the Application alone.
Hmmm, thoughts..?
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

H20nly

Re: Novation iPhone / iTouch Automap App

Post by H20nly » Fri May 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Sounds tedious - in usage more so than setup.

Maybe I'm "old fashioned", but a widescreen monitor seems more appealing than what 3.5 x 4 inch(??) screen.

I guess if your REALLY into gadgets...

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Fri May 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, personally I would prefer something more tactile with knobs on and that...

Just curious to see it they're going to make you pay for it... :|
Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri May 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I probably have to duck after saying this and I can see a flame war but... I think the iPhone is 1/4 cool as shit and 3/4 hype. Sure you CAN do all these things with it but why would one want to? Is being in public so bad? Why not just incorporate it all into helmets that way we don't have to make eye contact while we're avoiding eye contact.

I think if you don't pay for it upfront you will pay for it with time (which is worth more than money) that you can't get back. Its like trying to fit all those clowns in the little car. The joke/bragging rights come from how many clowns you get into a little space. All the while the audience should know that you can be more comfortable in something a little bigger.

Three cheers for tactile, knobs, elbow room and money WELL spent...

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 22, 2009 3:57 pm

H20nly wrote:I probably have to duck after saying this and I can see a flame war but... I think the iPhone is 1/4 cool as shit and 3/4 hype.
I love my iphone and have an irresponsible amount of apps, but I have to agree and a lot of apps firmly fall under "just because you can doesn't mean you should". The app store is becoming like beatport, good luck finding anything that gives you more than 30 seconds of enjoyment.

As of late I've more been following the iphone advertising campaign motto of "There's an app for that", meaning instead of browsing the available apps I think of something I might actually have a use for and research it that way.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri May 22, 2009 4:44 pm

I can't imagine wanting to control a synth from my iphone. Is that the point? Weirdness.

I never really got into the apps anyways. I've got one drum kit, one piano, one guitar, a little thumb piano thingy and a fart machine. Oh and a level I used to hang a picture in my office one day. I'd like to get the shazzam one for recognizing songs too but that's about it.
Professional Shark Jumper.

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 pm

meh... if i could use it as a sort of replacement hui for the nocturn, that would be alright, but prolly not worth the hassle. besides, i'm still rockin 10.4.10 on the daw machine.

stickwars ftw!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 pm

I think the real thing is going to be the iPad.

In the mean while, there is just too much cool shit on the current iTouch, I think I will pick one up soon.

One interesting aspect of this announcement, I didn't think anything could be distributed without the app store?

:idea:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat May 23, 2009 9:57 am

I love the idea as I want to use my iPod Touch as a display for the APC40.

The guy who makes TouchOSC (hexler.net) will also come up with a new version which features a layout editor and labels. You can update the labels in realtime, i.e. you could use a control surface script in Live (such as the Mackie Control script) to send device and parameter labels to Max/Msp, let Max decrypt the sysex strings and then update the labels in TouchOSC. Live API is another way of course and would even allow to display clip names etc.

I haven't had a chance to test the Novation app, but it sounds promising, too.

Cheers,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

peterkirn

Post by peterkirn » Sun May 24, 2009 4:16 am

Hey, works for me. I think folks are missing the point - the beauty of this is the ability to have *another* tool smart enough to follow your Live set. So if you're in a cramped space where nothing else will fit, or if you need a display for the (cough) APC, or if you're doing a sound check, or if you want a clip display on top of your keyboard so you spend the rest of your time focusing on your synth playing... you get the idea.

The only thing I find a little frustrating is that we don't seem to have ONE way to do this. We have the APC and Max for Live (soon) and the Live API and maybe soon a tablet from Apple and ... yipes.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but I've just tried hooking up Live and the Lemur - the Lemur having a lot of really nuanced widgets now that aren't anywhere else. And I seem to have to run some things through MIDI, some through Mackie Control, and some through the Live API. And it seems Live API isn't actually displaying clip status as of 7.0.12.

I'm partly thinking out loud, as I get to see the JazzMutant crew and can ask them about this on Tuesday, but ... am I missing something? If you did want to, say, write an app for *any* device that could do something like manage your clips, where would you even start?

This is cool, but I think you see where I'm getting at -- increasingly we have a lot of hardware and software that we want to do the same things, but no real standard way of making that happen. But if I'm missing something and it turns out you actually can get the Live API working properly with the Lemur, for instance, I'm happy to hear it.

peterkirn

Post by peterkirn » Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Never mind, just found the updated version.
http://jazzmutant.com/lemuruser_moduled ... php?id=117

And now I need to try this with Live 8. So it looks like because of the updates to the Live API, it will be possible to do some new cool stuff with clips -- in a variety of controllers, really, but especially useful with anything with a screen. :)

Anyone have interest in an Android and iPhone app that helps you navigate your clip slots? ;)

woodengun

Post by woodengun » Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 am

Hi, guys, I want to try this, but I cannot find the Automap_iPhone-1.0b1.dmg.
Where is it ?
Thanks.

Tree-Elf

Post by Tree-Elf » Tue May 26, 2009 6:52 am

There are some really cool midi aps by ITM that are worthy for the iphone.

if you have it plugged in and anchored to your set up you can have all kinds of extra controllers.

I personally use the hell out of the XY controller and another one that gives me 8 sliders and 8 buttons.

it's bright so you can see it in low light settings and it's a uber-gimmic when the crowd sees that your triggering sounds from your phone...

I totally agree with the "too many apps" problem but a tool is a tool and it's cheaper then buying another kaos pad or a nano controller that will do the same shit...

just hope no one calls... DOH!!!

(that actually happened one show... thank god for airplane mode!)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Tree-Elf wrote:a tool is a tool and it's cheaper then buying another kaos pad or a nano controller that will do the same shit...

2 good points, both valid. I would be more worried about the second one. None of my MIDI controllers accept incoming calls though so I guess I'm not really sure just how bad that would suck.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 27, 2009 7:44 pm

H20nly wrote:
Tree-Elf wrote:a tool is a tool and it's cheaper then buying another kaos pad or a nano controller that will do the same shit...

2 good points, both valid. I would be more worried about the second one. None of my MIDI controllers accept incoming calls though so I guess I'm not really sure just how bad that would suck.
Airplane mode on the iPhone = problem solved.