MIDI thru my arse

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Smellhound

MIDI thru my arse

Post by Smellhound » Fri May 22, 2009 12:49 pm

I am setting up a chain of 2 hardware synths being controlled by Ableton. The first (DSI Evolver) is receiving on MIDI channel 2 and sending out of the Thru port to a Poly Evolver, which is set up to receive on channel 3. The Evolver seems to work fine, however the Poly is somehow receiving stuff from channel 2 and it's messing with the sequence on channel 3. It's displaying automation (although it doesn't seem to be affecting the patch), and it's playing the note off information from chan 2, although oddly enough not the note-on info (if both MIDI tracks are activated, it messes with the sequence but if the Poly's track is turned off it doesn't play any notes...just displays the automated parameters changing values).

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? I'm out of ideas

8O

Re: MIDI thru my arse

Post by 8O » Fri May 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Hmmm... I have two hardware synths chained like this on different channels and they work fine... Some stuff to try: swapping channel numbers and swapping the order of the synths in the chain...

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for the tips. Although I tried both and got the same result. I'm going to email DSI about it, but if anyone else has some ideas please let me know.

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Fri May 22, 2009 1:55 pm

it is most probably that the polyE can receive on 4 (or more) different channels (1 midi channel for the synth, and 1 midi channel for each of its 4 parts)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Midi thru? My Arse!

might be a better subject title....

I believe the evolver has some unusual midi setup which caters to adding a Mono evolver to a poly evolver...and the end result is supposed to effectively make it behave like you're controlling one synth. It's speculation, but perhaps that's why it's not working as you'd expect...I guess you're trying to control them seperately ?

Anyways, reading the manual over or emailing DSI is the best advice I can offer
spreader of butter

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri May 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Sorry, got nothing useful to add, i just wanted to disagree with b0unce about the thread title - I think it's brilliant as it is, don't change it.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 pm

:P
spreader of butter

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 pm

oh I was well aware of the innuendo in the thread title. I liked the image.

Annnnyway, you're right about linking up multiple Evolvers & Polys ('Poly Chain'). However, it's turned off on both synths.

I think WaveRider is on to something...going to look into that. thanks

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 22, 2009 5:29 pm

b0unce wrote:Midi thru? My Arse!

might be a better subject title....
I have to agree. The content of the post left me severly disappointed after reading the title. Especially considering there's people on here that would attempt MIDI thru their arse literally.

The iphone OS 3 upgrade will probably have this covered.