Make artillery do some lucifer type stuff?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jekblad

Re: Make artillery do some lucifer type stuff?

Post by Jekblad » Fri May 15, 2009 5:07 pm

i think effectrix and artillery are both awesome and i want them both.

Lucifer seems really heavey into on the fly stuff ie there are NO presets.

i would be interested in learning how lucifer works in prep of the new release. what's the basic just?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: Well I still have to disagree. A suggestion for a glitch style plug-in, made by the same people who make Artillery, and which is currently available, to replace another glitch style plug-in which is not currently available? Seems like a reasonable suggestion even if they are somewhat different in concept. In fact I don't know of many more similar effects plug-ins despite their differences (maybe the plug-in "glitch" or that sequenced pluggo glitch plug-in), in that they are pattern based and customizable in their glitchiness and timing (as opposed to algorithmic or random like suppatrigger etc.).
OK if you're talking about just finding some generic glitch plugin to replace another one, I'll agree Effectrix is fine. Lucifer is in its own class though, it is capable of far more than average glitch plugins. To suggest effectrix as a replacement for *Lucifer* is not a good suggestion, in fact Artillery is a better replacement for Lucifer than effectrix is.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 15, 2009 5:53 pm

polyslax wrote:Steve (the Lucifer dev) recently let users on his forum know that he will sell Lucifer directly to someone if they want it. I can get you his email addy this eve if anyone's interested.
as far as i know it's completely unsupported though, no updates, no bug fixes. I really wish he would revive the project as it's a fantastic plugin but I don't think he plans on it at all. he was working a whole lot on a program called molar for the monome but then he even disappeared for like a year on that project, he recently came back and updated it which is cool but it seems to me that he just has other things he wants to do than code, which is cool of course.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 15, 2009 5:54 pm

[quote="Android Bishopin fact Artillery is a better replacement for Lucifer than effectrix is.[/quote]

I agree.

although I find artillery is the perfect companion for lucifer.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
polyslax wrote:Steve (the Lucifer dev) recently let users on his forum know that he will sell Lucifer directly to someone if they want it. I can get you his email addy this eve if anyone's interested.
as far as i know it's completely unsupported though, no updates, no bug fixes. I really wish he would revive the project as it's a fantastic plugin but I don't think he plans on it at all. he was working a whole lot on a program called molar for the monome but then he even disappeared for like a year on that project, he recently came back and updated it which is cool but it seems to me that he just has other things he wants to do than code, which is cool of course.
Well, Lucifer 2.2 beta 36 was released April 23rd, so that's pretty current in my books.

I've owned Lucifer since 2005, and I don't think I've ever had a problem with it. Very stable for me even under extreme stress.
Image Image

Patch

Post by Patch » Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 am

For those that have yet to read the manual - heres the lo-down:

The first half of the keyboard (based on a 49 key keyboard) is split like this: The black keys actually trigger the effects. Each black key represents a different size "chunk" (1 beat, 1/2 beat, 1/4 beat, etc...) You hold a black key to get the effect looping/scratching/glitching. The white keys on the first half of the keyboard select the additional effect to add WHILE holding a black key. So you'll hold a black key, then "play" the white keys to add effects over the looping/glitching.

The second half of the keyboard holds presets (called Graph-Sets. You create your own graph sets. A diagonal line going up from left to right will play the sample through normally. You pull phrases up or down to control the glitch/juggle) - so you'll choose a preset, hold the black key, then play white keys...

Read the manual, man - you need to learn Lucifer. It is AWESOME..

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat May 16, 2009 6:04 am

polyslax wrote:
Well, Lucifer 2.2 beta 36 was released April 23rd, so that's pretty current in my books.
and by released you mean snuck out the back door to a few private emails? if dude wants to sell the thing they why not sell it? I don't understand this whole "you can buy it via email" stuff that he's currently doing, but you wouldn't know he's selling it by email unless you heard it through the grapevine. it doesn't make much sense to me, it's like opening a business and locking the front door and having all your customers climb through the bathroom window if you're lucky enough to hear that it's unlocked and 'yes they are doing business, just climb through the window'

I've donated to the dude for his work on molar, but to actually purchase a plugin I want to know that the developer has taken a professional interest in doing business. I want to know I can email them and receive an email and they won't be on a 2 week vacation ya know? I want to know that you can report bugs and expect a bug fix in a reasonable amount of time (which might be the case, but without being invested in doing business you don't really know if he will supply a bug fix do you?) without being officially invested in doing business you don't really know if the last update will be the last one or not. which freaks me out.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sat May 16, 2009 10:13 am

Johnisfaster wrote:if dude wants to sell the thing they why not sell it? I don't understand this whole "you can buy it via email" stuff that he's currently doing, but you wouldn't know he's selling it by email unless you heard it through the grapevine. it doesn't make much sense to me, it's like opening a business and locking the front door and having all your customers climb through the bathroom window if you're lucky enough to hear that it's unlocked and 'yes they are doing business, just climb through the window'

I've donated to the dude for his work on molar, but to actually purchase a plugin I want to know that the developer has taken a professional interest in doing business. I want to know I can email them and receive an email and they won't be on a 2 week vacation ya know? I want to know that you can report bugs and expect a bug fix in a reasonable amount of time (which might be the case, but without being invested in doing business you don't really know if he will supply a bug fix do you?) without being officially invested in doing business you don't really know if the last update will be the last one or not. which freaks me out.
:lol:

Man, I'd never get that freaked out about a $99 plugin. Tbh, you sound like you'd be a pain in the ass as a customer.

Dude, or Steve as I like to call him, is a very busy guy. I've never needed support but afaik he's always been available by email.
Johnisfaster wrote:and by released you mean snuck out the back door to a few private emails?
No, what I mean is that every Lucifer owner belongs (or was invited to belong) to a forum for the Lucifer beta.
Image Image

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Patch wrote:For those that have yet to read the manual - heres the lo-down:

The first half of the keyboard (based on a 49 key keyboard) is split like this: The black keys actually trigger the effects. Each black key represents a different size "chunk" (1 beat, 1/2 beat, 1/4 beat, etc...) You hold a black key to get the effect looping/scratching/glitching. The white keys on the first half of the keyboard select the additional effect to add WHILE holding a black key. So you'll hold a black key, then "play" the white keys to add effects over the looping/glitching.

The second half of the keyboard holds presets (called Graph-Sets. You create your own graph sets. A diagonal line going up from left to right will play the sample through normally. You pull phrases up or down to control the glitch/juggle) - so you'll choose a preset, hold the black key, then play white keys...

Read the manual, man - you need to learn Lucifer. It is AWESOME..
OMG thank you.

And you're right, I just need to sit down and read the fucking manual

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat May 16, 2009 7:30 pm

i think everyman should have a layman's term "this is how you do it".

probably suits the lucifer plug more than it suits a DAW or VSTi but you know what i'm sayin. THANKS
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat May 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Jekblad wrote:i think everyman should have a layman's term "this is how you do it".

probably suits the lucifer plug more than it suits a DAW or VSTi but you know what i'm sayin. THANKS

Especially Lucifer. Its design flow is just, weird. I'm still not comfortable with it at all

manimal

Post by manimal » Fri May 22, 2009 5:58 pm

I just checked one of my random email inboxes and found this

Future products !

A special note for Lucifer users : we are working on ‘Blocks’, the successor to this great loop tool. A free version will be available for Lucifer registered users. Devine Machine 2 is also in our project list. The very first alpha of ‘Blocks’ can be seen here :

> Blocks preview

More videos (showing more complex slicing) will be added soon !

Also for the near future, here are three videos of a live show played by Arash Khalatbari and Nicolas Lacoumette, using a new multi input software looper plugin.

The looper is still under development, but you can hear it is functional already...

> Looper preview

Finally regarding physical modeling, our next project will most probably involve a powerful new string modeling based instrument that should surprise you...

You can get the scoop on our new products launch and available betas by subscribing to our mailing list on our web site :

http://www.devine-machine.com

Thanks again for your support - We hope you enjoy our work..

sounds pretty promising!
I sell Synth presets
https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri May 22, 2009 6:47 pm

I can vouch for Artillery CM edition. Mad awesome. Combine it with an auto filter and you have some hotness...

The scratching in the vid SEEMD to be prerecorded clips and not Lucifer. The time I had with lucifer was a bit - er - unintuitive, to say the least.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 am

polyslax wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:if dude wants to sell the thing they why not sell it? I don't understand this whole "you can buy it via email" stuff that he's currently doing, but you wouldn't know he's selling it by email unless you heard it through the grapevine. it doesn't make much sense to me, it's like opening a business and locking the front door and having all your customers climb through the bathroom window if you're lucky enough to hear that it's unlocked and 'yes they are doing business, just climb through the window'

:lol:

Man, I'd never get that freaked out about a $99 plugin. Tbh, you sound like you'd be a pain in the ass as a customer.

Dude, or Steve as I like to call him, is a very busy guy. I've never needed support but afaik he's always been available by email.
Johnisfaster wrote:and by released you mean snuck out the back door to a few private emails?
No, what I mean is that every Lucifer owner belongs (or was invited to belong) to a forum for the Lucifer beta.
I suppose I can be a pain in the ass customer. But I've only had to contact ableton maybe... 2 or 3 times ever via email so I don't know if that qualifies. Alls I'm saying is that if he's gonna sell it he should officially sell it, like set up a web page called "the official lucifer page" and sell it from there. I don't really understand why he would do it any other way.