The Little List of Tips and Tricks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bendybones

Re: The Little List of Tips and Tricks

Post by bendybones » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:17 pm

rutgermuller wrote:If you compose to video on one monitor, open up the Info View by pressing "?" and drop your video over that space.
This doesn't do anything for me (in Live 8, haven't tried in 7)

Dragging from browser doesn't allow drop.
Dragging video screen there doesn't do anything.

Is it a 7 thing or am i missing something?
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:03 am

We have about 15 free ableton tutorial videos (below)
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

rectus_dominus

Post by rectus_dominus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Hey, can somebody help out me with some kind of piano keyboard "tool" what can be applied to a midi track, and shows the actually played notes on a normal piano keyboard? (I'd like to learn from midi, but I can't rotate my screen)
I hope you understood what did I want to mean
Anyway, thanks for reading

rudesixtysix

Post by rudesixtysix » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 am

thanks. best post on the forum

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 pm

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Video ... ing-voices

Fresh from the dungeons: Vocoding voices in Live 8

condra

Post by condra » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:19 pm

PROBABLY mentioned already but;

Double-click on one of your browser slots to reset it.

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Now (in live 8 ) you can create folders inside the standard folders in the Device browser, so you can organise your presets better.

Also, any kind of Instrument preset can go into the Instrument Racks folder.

So I've just reorganised my entire collection of Instrument presets in a way that makes more sense.

Normally if you want to listen through some Bass Synth presets, you have to either use the search function (and "bass" needs to be in the preset name to show up) or you have to search through every instrument folder plus the Instrument Racks folder.

So I've copied every instrument preset (leaving the originals where they are) into a folder that I can use to search for the sounds I'm after:

The folder as it sits in the Browser:

Folder contents:

Some of these folders have sub-folders, to keep things easy to search for what I'm looking for.
It took a couple hours, and I'll finetune it as I go. I also plan to be brutal in deleting lame sounds when they come up.

Another personal tip: for any preset that I've made myself I name it in CAPS - makes it easier to see my originals easily against all the factory presets and avoids having to make a separate folder them

Now don't forget kids, be careful when playing in the library! Probably best to copy your library first and try reorganising that. You can switch between libraries in the Preferences when you're finished

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 pm

bland_handl wrote:Now (in live 8 ) you can create folders inside the standard folders in the Device browser, so you can organise your presets better.

Also, any kind of Instrument preset can go into the Instrument Racks folder.
Handy.
bland_handl wrote:leaving the originals where they are
I would also assume it safer to leave the originals where they are, but without having a concrete reason and because they are doing no harm.
But why do u do it?
Do u have a specific reason from experience?
Besides making it easier to install updates for certain devices (which hardly ever happens).
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Sat May 02, 2009 11:29 am

bendybones wrote:
bland_handl wrote:leaving the originals where they are
I would also assume it safer to leave the originals where they are, but without having a concrete reason and because they are doing no harm.
But why do u do it?
Do u have a specific reason from experience?
Besides making it easier to install updates for certain devices (which hardly ever happens).
So that if I want to explore one instrument further, say Collision for example, I can still browse through presets that relate specifically to it. I have no qualms with the way existing folders are arranged - just that this addition improves the searchability based on sounds rather than instruments

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Cool just found one:

If you import many Audioclips in Live they are normally put one below the other inside on single Audio Track. If you hold CTRL they are put horizontal in it. Make it much easier if you mix other peoples stuff and import like 20+ WAV files. Also Audiotracks are opened up for each WAV file automatically :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:this is a tip for Live 8 users. It's a simple one, but those can often be missed.

L8 can search the metadata of a preset. You'll notice that most of the Ableton content now shows this data in the info view when you hover over its listing in the browser.
You can make your own meta data which will make your own presets of racks and devices much easier to find.

For example: if you make a rack that is a handclap sound, but of course saving this as "handclap" will not really help you find it again quickly, even calling it "vintage handclap" or some other descriptive title is often not much use. So, try adding info text to it before you save it. Put lots of keywords in. Like this
Handclap with adjustable parameters for length and tone. Vintage style, like a compurhythm cr78.
drummachine, percussion, clap, oldskool, white noise, analogue

made by Angstrom with Operator
now any search like these will find that preset.

"Angstrom Handclap"
"clap white noise analogue"
"CR78 clap Operator"
...etc

It can be very handy if you have forgotten exactly what you titled the preset
I've been using this feature a lot to find my own presets
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

Spring cleaning complete. I removed all articles that have files and/or pictures missing.
I also fixed all links that got broken as a result of Ableton's recent forum changes.
The categories have also been removed, since they made no sense.
Its all related to Live in one way or another.

New videos and articles will be added once I got some more spare time for this list.
Even though some articles got cut, this is still a huge list to maintain.
At least now nobody will stumble on dead links.

Since this a collection of community efforts, I urge other members to contribute to this list too.
You don't need to be able to write a tip to contribute, if you find a link to a nice tip: Post it in this thread!

For those of you who are bored at work and are surfing this forum, I have a job for you!
This thread is filled with links to tips and tricks. Make a summary and add a little description.
Post the summary in this thread or PM it to me. I will collect these links and add them to the list.

Cheers

- Bjorn

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue May 19, 2009 5:42 am

not sure if this is NEw for live 8...

but to quantize ALL notes you don't have to select ALL notes. Just click in the clip and hit ctrl+u and it automatically hits all of em. A nice little time saver
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm

there's a video about 303 emulation for operator in the first post, neb was kind enough to decipher the slightly pixelated video and provide a patch. HAIL NEB!!

from Neb:

http://www.nebulae.com/live/neb_acid.adg

I didn't have time to do all the rack mappings like the video (gotto pick up mini-Neb from school), but that's pretty easy. Here's the overall process:

1. Pick either Saw or Square (those are classic 303 waves) - I picked Saw-D
2. Pick low pass filter (303 has an 18db filter) - I got good results with 12db, 24db or svf.
3. Adjust filter and res to taste
4. Set filter envelope to have low sustain, and use envelope to around 20-40% based on taste.
5. Set Operator A's amplitude envelope to a similar low sustain setting.
6. Turn on glide and adjust setting. My rack is set to 1 voice, so glide has no effect, but if you set it 2 voices, you can glide all day long. The higher the glide setting, the more the bend.
7. Add Saturator and crank it.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

ardee

Post by ardee » Mon May 25, 2009 11:47 am

brilliant! wish i'd known a lot of these things before, but it's definitely going to come in handy now. Thanks! :mrgreen: