What Firewire interface do you use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
teestone

What Firewire interface do you use?

Post by teestone » Mon May 25, 2009 7:26 am

I'm having a hard time deciding on a Firewire interface.

My main objective is to feed Ableton a stereo guitar signal, mono bass signal, and a mic for percussion or vocals. In the future, I might have to get a Nord Electro 2 or 3 for vintage pianos if I can't find a usable software based alternative to use with my Novation SL 37. That would require an additional 2 inputs as well.

I've put a lot of time and money into my guitar tone and I would prefer not to lose any of the goodness by using a poor interface. That said, I'm also not looking to fork out Apogee type money just yet. I'm thinking more along the lines of Presonus, Focusrite, T.C. Electronics, Mackie, or even MOTU. All seem to have their own derivative at various price points.

What would you recommend? :?:

deHaan

Re: What Firewire interface do you use?

Post by deHaan » Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 am

Check out the Alesis iO|26

http://www.alesis.com/io26

It's quite cheap and works well with Live 8. 8 analog inputs with mic preamps and additional 16 ADAT inputs.
I've never had any problems with the interface...

/Nikolaj
Last edited by deHaan on Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

bilberry79

Post by bilberry79 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:46 am

i'm using a motu 828mk2 firewire interface, which is quite nice and the two preamps are sounding good. but you have to be carufull with the firewire ciphset on your mainboard. moutu says that the best performance will be with a texas instruments chipset. i have no porblems with the motu it works fine with my pc. the new version of it (mk3) has a few build in dsp effects like copms and eqs.

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 am

I've been using the Focusrite Saffire now for a few years (also for guitar recording) in combination with ableton live. It's very stable and has never let me down, ever.

A few months ago I needed more inputs, so I bought the m-audio fast track pro usb (8 i/o), but it was too buggy with Ableton. It frooze the program a few times and twice my whole computer. So after I finished the project, I sold it again. Back to my good old trusty Focusrite Saffire.

I've recently ordered a seperate mixer, to connect multiple instruments to my computer. I've looked in to other firewire interfaces, but I choose this configuration, because of the price and I'm mostly recording 1 thing at the time anyway. I just don't like changing cables and setting up the input levels all the time.

If I had to buy a new firewire interface it will be a Focusrite again... Check out the Focusrite Pro 40.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon May 25, 2009 1:47 pm

motu ultralite (mk2),

really reliable and useful gear. several ins and outs, easy configuration, little space needed...

100% cristal clear sound quality, power and reliability.
8)

tigali

Post by tigali » Mon May 25, 2009 2:05 pm

I also use the Alesis io26 and it's a beauty in most applications but I started using mics with it recently (until then it has just been synths and outboard effects) and it seems there's a buzzing when the phantom power is engaged. This is not such a problem for me as I have a quality outboard mic preamp that I prefer to use but if this is an issue for you then you might want to check if this is a problem common to these units or if it's just mine.
I particularly like the inserts on this as I use them all the time with outboard compressors and EQ.

WidowTwanky

Post by WidowTwanky » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Now that MetricHalo has released the ULN8, you'll see a lot of 2882's and ULN's for sale at good prices. Don't know what your budget is, but these units are top notch - sounds to me like the 2882 would suit you perfectly.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm

monstrejumo wrote:motu ultralite (mk2),

really reliable and useful gear. several ins and outs, easy configuration, little space needed...

100% cristal clear sound quality, power and reliability.
8)
+1 Ultralite user for years---Just can't go wrong

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Mon May 25, 2009 3:12 pm

EDIROL FA-66, exceptional piece of hardware, rocksolid drivers win64, small latency and price.recomended!
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Mon May 25, 2009 7:04 pm

tigali wrote:I also use the Alesis io26 and it's a beauty in most applications but I started using mics with it recently (until then it has just been synths and outboard effects) and it seems there's a buzzing when the phantom power is engaged.
I've never had any problems with phantom power buzz. The two ADAT inputs is a really nice feature for me when I have to record live jobs. Using two ADA8000 I get 24 inputs at a very low price...
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Echo Audiofire 12

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Mon May 25, 2009 8:14 pm

I´ll recommend this Thread!

Go with the X24 or the Yamaha Go 46 (both are the same technically, just different distributors).

Here´s some data on the X24:

no cmos switches for the audio signals - they have air gap switches in there.
AND preamps from SPL...

i would definatley recommend it.
I´m using one with pleasure!

Cheers
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

xsic

Post by xsic » Mon May 25, 2009 8:22 pm

just want to share my experience when choosing an audio interface

maybe consider a RME Fireface 400. really reliable, small space, excellent routing via "TotalMix". 2 good mic-preamps, 2 hi-z inputs plus 4 more line inputs. all gains can be set from +4 to -10. spdif in/out, adat in/out.

my experience with recording guitars and basses straight into the interface was absolut brilliant. the converters are very good as well. i use it a lot to play audio out, processing it via hardware and go back again. several times. no loss of quality. i did a comparison test with the presonus firebox, and the RME was way better in terms of clarity with the mic preamps and the converters (according to routing audio out of the box and then in again.) for sure, the price difference is obvious!

a friend of mine owned the motu 828 mkII and went for the RME after intense tests regarding preamp quality (recording vocals, guitars, bass, analogue synth) and converters. he was blewn away from the RME.

for me it was important not to think about quality loss when reamping or recording.

when i considered bying an audio interface, i researched some engineering forums, friends who are working studios and of course, ebay. lots of motus, presonus are sold there, but rarely RMEs. maybe i´m wrong but i guess with an RME you will have long time fun, except you decide to go for an apogee or the equivalent;-)

maybe this helps you.

good luck !
macbook pro 2,4 Ghz - OS 10.5.7 - live 8.0.3 - logic studio
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 pm

I've been having good results with the M-Audio Profire 610 on a Mac for several months now.

Lots of folks (who've never used it) will chime in and tell you it's rubbish and M-Audio suck.

It works great for me.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 pm

i've been using presonus firestudio for a while

we run a trition, upright bass, mopho, vocals in plus out on separate chanels.
we also run softsynths and ableton out too.

it has 2 adat outs which i use to send audio to my motu 2408mkiii which is hooked up to my "studio" computer so that i can use my studio monitors and bounce audio/record rehearsals .. in the future i plan to record performances but its allot of work to lug all the gear so its not the norm.

i've had issues with the first unit sent to me but i sent it back and the new one worked fine. i've been using that for about 2 years now.

it simple and works well
its now called the firestudio 26/26

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... roductID=5