Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
disco judas

Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Post by disco judas » Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 am

Hey,

I still havent decided on my dj solution.
I have been thinking about Live/stanton stuff, but I havent heard anything more. I also own max, and have been thinking about ms.pinky.

But why is everybody choosing Traktor?

I will do manually cuing and beatmatching with more than 2 decks, and Im willing to buy the best/most expensive system.

Is that Traktor?

Cheers

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Re: Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Post by nuperspective » Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1H9W_iLff0

check out the other parts as well.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Fri May 29, 2009 12:09 pm

I though Serato was more popular than Traktor. :/

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri May 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I reckon Serato has more market share, no?

disco judas

Post by disco judas » Fri May 29, 2009 12:48 pm

nuperspective wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1H9W_iLff0

check out the other parts as well.

Yeah, this looks cool.
Im going to use the xone92 aswell, but the standard mixerversion. Maybe sometimes use the midi out on it for syncing two laptops, but mainly for djing 3 turntables, old school style.

But I want a solution that feels as much as traditional vinyl djing as possible, and im not using effects, only the analog filters on the xone 92.

Does Tracktor have the best converters?

Cheers @ thanks

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I have used both Serato and Traktor. They are both very stable. I prefer Traktor because of the looping capabalities and easy browser.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Who gives a shit what the standard is? Just download the demos and have a play!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri May 29, 2009 4:05 pm

will max for live allow us multiple waveform viewing?

it'd be hot to emulate this setup
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 pm

I reckon because it is ace for DJ-ing it not only allows you to use control vinyl / cd but pure midi control with an more then realistic 1210 behaviour...

The first time i used T3 via midi only my jaw dropped on the floor after coming from nearly 20years of vinyl spinning... Never was a fan of CDs, though.

Plus the audio interface is bar none top notch! And you can use it with 8 I/O easy in the studio as well...

to me personally traktor is a no brainer for DJ-ing.
and i am curious if serato/ableton will seriously beat that.
*** Image GAFM ***

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

disco judas wrote:Hey,

I still havent decided on my dj solution.
I have been thinking about Live/stanton stuff, but I havent heard anything more. I also own max, and have been thinking about ms.pinky.

But why is everybody choosing Traktor?

I will do manually cuing and beatmatching with more than 2 decks, and Im willing to buy the best/most expensive system.

Is that Traktor?

Cheers
I think traktor still has a long way before it is the standard for djing.. just look at any major club because just like technics, serato is the only DVS thats considered standard in the industry.. Traktor no doubt has the all the bells and whistles hands down.. but until it proves itself in program stability and consistency, Serato will remain the same.. and Serato knows that Traktor indeed has gotten better and is starting to take some of its market share..but don't forget about their plans with Ableton.. I am actually more excited about that collab over the cycling74 partnership.. both are great, but I really want to see what the serato/ableton collab will bring..

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Serato is for old vinyl DJs that can't let it go and, like all things music, once a standard is set it's slow to move forward or change. I think this also at some point leads to apathy with the developer that sets the standard while competition slowly takes their market share. Pro Tools anyone?

Traktor rules for options and ease of use.

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Fri May 29, 2009 5:13 pm

ChiDJ wrote:I prefer Traktor because of the looping capabalities and easy browser.
I have been using Traktor for almost a year now and the simplicity of live looping is unmatchable. I just got Ableton Live 8 about a month ago and I'm curious - Is there any way to create loops on the fly in Live? I haven't been able to figure this out yet...

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm

ajargy wrote:I just got Ableton Live 8 about a month ago and I'm curious - Is there any way to create loops on the fly in Live? I haven't been able to figure this out yet...
Double click on a clip, enter MIDI map mode, and assign MIDI control to Loop, Position "Set", and Length "Set". The downside to this method is that the mappings are global, meaning they apply to all clips. Therefore, with this method, it is impossible to loop one track while another track is playing (i.e. they'll both loop). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much interest in changing this behavior: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108117

With some clever audio/MIDI routing, you can set up an audio track for each of your "decks" within Live to handle all your looping desires, though your sets can end up quite cluttered. But that's another topic...

Using Traktor for DJing has been a pleasure. No convoluted workarounds... easy setup... Traktor handles DJing functions quite well. It's MIDI capabilities far surpass any software I have ever used, even Live. Of course, I haven't tried Serato yet... maybe I'll give Itch a try.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sat May 30, 2009 4:30 am

ajargy wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:I prefer Traktor because of the looping capabalities and easy browser.
I have been using Traktor for almost a year now and the simplicity of live looping is unmatchable. I just got Ableton Live 8 about a month ago and I'm curious - Is there any way to create loops on the fly in Live? I haven't been able to figure this out yet...
another way do do 1bar live looping really easy is to use beat repeat. settings are as described for dj type mixing/effects

Interval: 1/8th
Offset: usually at 0 for normalcy, but can be moved about for more interesting effects
Grid: set to 1 bar for 1 bar loop, 1/2 for half bar loop etc.. (map to a knob for realtime fills and whatnot) maybe put some filters mapped to the same knob for more dramatic tweaks.
Variation: set to zero. screw some randomness, i want total control.
Repeat: turned on
Chance: 100
Gate: 2/16th

also make sure the mix section on beat repeat is set to Ins to mute the original track and just play what you want to loop.
just stick it on each track or on the master and have fun looping away. with just a few knobs and buttons mapped to on/off, loop rate and other stuffs it really becomes a powerful effect/ mixing tool..

Jordan Vesteyo

Post by Jordan Vesteyo » Sat May 30, 2009 4:50 am

I both Traktor Pro and Live 8 (since 4) and have used Traktor (since 2). I like Traktor for the Looping and the DJ focused workflow. HOWEVER. Live allows me a completely different take on "DJing" It blurs the lines between live performance and DJing. After 20 years behind the decks Live offers me more choices. It has pulled me away from Logic for production, which I have used since 1996 and Traktor for DJing. I software multiple workflows. If I am playing a long set 3-5 hours I would love my macbook running tracktor using timecode vinyl and Live synced on my MBPro...... but for mow I will be exploring the APC40 and LIve.
24in Imac/MBPro UNibody, Ableton Live 8 Suite ,Logic Pro 8, Liquid Mix,