Huge Latency diff. between 7 & 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Huge Latency diff. between 7 & 8

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 pm

bagginz wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

to say he gets ZERO latency in Logic is just a dumb thing to write.
Perhaps he meant "ASIO direct monitoring" in which the input signal bypasses the audio buffers completely giving zero latency even when monitoring via the software?

I use it regularly when recording into Cubase.
doubt it. he wrote something dumb that exposes his ignorance and bias.

why are you defending him? I know about direct monitoring.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Mon May 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
bagginz wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

Perhaps he meant "ASIO direct monitoring" in which the input signal bypasses the audio buffers completely giving zero latency even when monitoring via the software?

I use it regularly when recording into Cubase.
doubt it. he wrote something dumb that exposes his ignorance and bias.

why are you defending him? I know about direct monitoring.
everything i record seems in time when it is played back its not until after its recorded that it feels out of time with the rest of the music

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm

greenscreens wrote:everything i record seems in time when it is played back its not until after its recorded that it feels out of time with the rest of the music
sounds like you have a space-time continuum displacement problem in your studio. I think M Audio makes a box to fix that.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Tue May 19, 2009 12:43 am

greenscreens wrote: everything i record seems in time when it is played back its not until after its recorded that it feels out of time with the rest of the music
Seriously, I think he's right ! I got the exact same problem, but it only happened on some sets...

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Thu May 21, 2009 6:29 pm

everything i am doing seems to be out of time even when it is hard quantized!!!

is there something im doing wrong? i have delay compensation turned on. a buffersize of 128- and im not sure exactly how to set the driver error compensation but i set it so that it takes the latency down to .18 ms.

2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo with 2 gb 667 mhz ddr2 ram.

honestly this seems strange... i've never had to warp anything in the past now i have to warp every single track for things to line up perfectly

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Did you try ASIO4ALL ? This solved my problems.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Thu May 21, 2009 7:14 pm

im running a mac- i dont believe there is an asio4all for osx

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 pm

greenscreens wrote:im running a mac- i dont believe there is an asio4all for osx
mac=wack

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri May 22, 2009 1:49 am

I'm noticing differences in my midi recordings. It seems much harder to record a tighter performance with Live 8 (with record quantize off), especially with outboard analog synths like the Se 1x.

poshook

Post by poshook » Sat May 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
solar28 wrote:I don't believe this poster is lying just because he wrote ambiguously. I read that he means that he doesn't get the same latency in Logic 8 as in Live. He should have wrote: I get no noticable latency in logic like I get in Live.
disagree. it set off my BS detector. if he's capable of signing up for an account he's capable of watching his writing, that's all we can judge him by. dunno why you're playing nanny here.

feel free to correct all my posts while you're at it. wtf? :roll:

it's still in early Live 8 release. remember that when you compare it to Live 7. Live 8 still usable for me.
hi,

I agree with you that my english is terrible but you can understand if you want!!! Yes, I should write "noticable" latency.
BUT do not be overbearing because I can write still much better in English than you in Slovak!

The result is clear:
Live 8 works with latency worse and eats more CPU power than previous versions (I work with Live since version 4) and using Live 8 mainly as MIDI sequencer with VSTi/AU for realtime midi recording via midi keyboard is very difficult.

I like Live very much (there is no bias and ignorance, only disappointment that I can not use someting I purchased) but I can not use version 8 for my 50 and more MIDI tracks compositions and need to use Logic 8 instead.
With Logic 8 I have never had problems with latency (realtime recording via midi keyboard) in the same type of projects with the same plugins and instruments...
Last edited by poshook on Sat May 30, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 pm

it's not your English, that's fine, it was your logic. 'no latncy' and 'latency everywhere' is not something that would be lost in translation. don't play victim because you're not writing in your native language. it's just semantics, it doesn't matter.

so your test is the definitive test everyone should judge Live by?

Live 8 works fine on my machine. I fired up Live 7 last week, it was sluggish compared to Live 8. are you sure you have it setup correctly?

bottom line is, don't use Live if you can't use it correctly. use Logic.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

poshook

Post by poshook » Sat May 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's not your English, that's fine, it was your logic. 'no latncy' and 'latency everywhere' is not something that would be lost in translation. don't play victim because you're not writing in your native language. it's just semantics, it doesn't matter.

so your test is the definitive test everyone should judge Live by?

Live 8 works fine on my machine. I fired up Live 7 last week, it was sluggish compared to Live 8. are you sure you have it setup correctly?

bottom line is, don't use Live if you can't use it correctly. use Logic.
Hi,

I use Live almost 5 years and Logic almost 10. I have never had latency problem with previous versions of Live and I know Live very good, be sure.
It is very strange for me when I need to learn to use something "correctly" to get it working right. I have a lot of work and almost no time to learn when Live 8 works well and when worse and adapt all my working technics to this.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 pm

It is very strange for me when I need to learn to use something "correctly" to get it working right.
you need to learn to use it correctly? you just wrote that you know Live very well, which is it? I don't believe you know Live very well if this is all you can report. it's not much of a report, "I upgraded and it doesn't run well."

do you mean latency or do you mean it won't play back without pops and clicks?

regarding the thread in general. I did recently revisit all my sound card and Live buffer settings. it wasn't because of Live 8 it was because someone posted a latency checker. I would advise others to do the same if their latency has changed.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

poshook

Post by poshook » Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Tone Deft wrote:It is very strange for me when I need to learn to use something "correctly" to get it working right.
you need to learn to use it correctly? you just wrote that you know Live very well, which is it? I don't believe you know Live very well if this is all you can report. it's not much of a report, "I upgraded and it doesn't run well."

do you mean latency or do you mean it won't play back without pops and clicks?
I mean "Correctly" as "carefully"

When I start new project and play any AU instrument via midi keyboard, there is no noticable latency and I can record realtime everything in time.
Then I record some (10) MIDI tracks (and insert some other AU instruments and AU effects with no internal latency)
Then I start to record next (11th) MIDI track realtime and voila there is noticable latency and I can record realtime with problems.
Then I record some (10) MIDI tracks (and insert some other AU instruments and AU effects with no internal latency)
Then I start to record next (22th) MIDI track realtime and voila there is noticable latency and I can not record realtime at all

Again, when I make the same in version 7 there is no problem
Live 8 is set up the same. Core Audio 256 samples, plugin buffer the same as audio buffer, latency compensation on
In my signature you can see my setup

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 pm

that's very interesting.

maybe try the VST version of the plug ins? I'm on PC so I can't use AU, I think I've read that AU doesn't work as well as VST.

maybe send your set (without the midi data) to support@ableton.com with a good description like that, they might help. maybe you've found a bug! (thanks if you did!)

what AUs are you using? just curious.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz