anybody wish that the APC40 had audio inputs/outputs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mersault

anybody wish that the APC40 had audio inputs/outputs?

Post by mersault » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:12 am

With all the hype, nobody has mentioned this. That would truly make it an all-in-one solution. After all, it is a little large, but I can deal with that. It would just be a bit easier to deal with if I didn't still need to carry my soundcard around.

Anybody have a nice controller/sound card?

Tone Deft

Re: anybody wish that the APC40 had audio inputs/outputs?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:19 am

hell no.

I'd rather shop for a sound card that suits my personal needs.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mersault

Post by mersault » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:00 am

...yes, but for live DJ sets, I don't think most people need to get too specific. I'm not referring to a studio setup.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 am

everyone works differently. all in one components are a horrible idea, whether it's a DVD player built into a TV, a microwave built into a convection oven or a sound card built into a controller. when one breaks the other has to be sent in as well. it also narrows your target audience down, you'll satisfy fewer customers and tick off even more.

horrible idea.

...and screw DJs as the model for the typical user.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 am

anybody wish that the APC40 could go into "take over" A.I. mode and actually construct tracks with real substance for me? anybody wish that the APC40 can make a holographic projection of the 10 commandments for dorm-room dj/dance superstars, starting with "Thou shalt put a kick on every 4th"? :| will the real Lindrumm 2 please stand up & give me something actually worth getting a hard on for?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 am

why does everyone want each piece of their gear to be an all in one device? sure there is something to be said for convenience of set up but there's also something to be said for not being so lazy that you can't set up 2 devices for a show ;)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

mersault

Post by mersault » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 am

wow... way to take something completely out of context. Not sure about you guys, but when it comes to touring - as far as equipment goes, the less, the merrier. How many bags do you want to have to check anyway? For DJ sets, minimal is key. One less thing to bring is a nice option. (ie vestax vcm-100) I know many who would agree - though I would certainly not want to be stuck with a built in soundcard as the only option and I definitely wouldn't use it in the studio.

Having to carry a separate soundcard for little more than a stereo out can be annoying - even if its small, it still takes us some space.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:17 am

Anybody wish that their APC40 wasn't in some container ship floating in the Pacific for the next month? I wanna start picking faults too! :twisted: :lol:

I have an Edirol FA-101 sound card. 1/2 a rack space. Can't complain about carting it anywhere really. Better than a guitar and guitar amp...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 am

not a bad idea. maybe some card-slot-solution, so you can change the soundcard easily. and then it should have an external harddisk as well so you can store all your livesets on it. And a copy of live itself. this would allow to use the apc with any computer, so you could travel only with the apc.

8O

seriously, not a bad idea.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:38 am

^ you mean some unholy concoction like this...

...? :wink:

mersault

Post by mersault » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 am

Some of those ideas don't sound so crazy or unrealistic (but some might). Portability is a huge factor, but its tough to get too customized without shrinking the market - but that has already somewhat happened as in Akai making an exclusively Ableton controller.

I know a lot of people who use the headphone outs and tour regularly. It'd be nice to have something a step up from the crappy 1/8th inch out, without more gear. One less thing to deal with (or have issues with). Its also obvious that many DJs don't need multiple outs. Who was this mainly designed for?

...but yeah, if Akai knows exactly which program we're using with this device - they could take it pretty I far I guess.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 am

yeah, exactly. The I-pod-dock was missing as well!!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am

....the horror..

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 am

As for me I would not use the audio I/O on the APC controller if it was built in. I don't mind bringing my Konnekt 24D along with me anywhere (I bring it also for DJing) and it fits nicely into my Ableton backpack. I prefer reliability and audio quality to less weight on my back. Besides, I believe APC 40 has enough communication going on already over USB, and adding audio stream would be not too reliable IMHO.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am

8O wrote:^ you mean some unholy concoction like this...

...? :wink:
Bitchin'!

Looks like an Open Labs product :)