clip envelopes and automation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
monohusche

clip envelopes and automation

Post by monohusche » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am

Hi there,

Let's say I have a track with multiple clips (audio or midi), and for one of the clips, I want to apply an effect with modulation. As clip automation is relative, I have to open up the respective knobs before (e.g. Dry/Wet to 100%).

In order to avoid the other clips (without clip envelopes) being affected, that means that I have to put envelopes into all of them with 0% values which I find quite painful.

Obviously, I could use a return track for achieving the same result, not sure though whether return tracks can have dummy clips for automation/modulation. Another option would be to have an explicit "device on" modulation target for the effect, so I could switch on the device only for the respective clip, but I believe, that only exists within arrangement view.

any ideas, or is this a well-known issue ?

Thx, Nick

StinkyPat

Re: clip envelopes and automation

Post by StinkyPat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Can you just put that one clip on it's own track and effect only that one clip? ...or is that really not doing what you are intending?
I'm bringing Stinky BACK!

monohusche

Re: clip envelopes and automation

Post by monohusche » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm

yep, that would be a solution. could get confusing though if one has already a lot of tracks.

Now that you mention it, group tracks would be the solution....no clutter, yet different subtracks for different effects.