How much would you be willing to pay?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How much would you pay for a 7-8 hour HD video series by myself on how to write beats on DVD?

$0
24%
$15
8%
$20
38%
$30
14%
$50
11%
$100
1%
More
3%

Total votes: 71

COSM

How much would you be willing to pay?

Post by COSM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 am

I am near completion of my Introduction to Digital Audio Production series. It will be down loadable in HD for pro members, but I am also going to get some DVDs made with cases to sell.

The series will be about 7-8 hours of screen capture with ongoing commentary from my self explaining everything I do step by step while producing a tune. All effects/instruments are Ableton native, and the Ableton pack will be included on the DVD.

Let's say hypothetically that you are a production noob and know nothing, how much would you be willing to pay for this series and pack delivered to your door?

Here is a demo of one of the parts - http://www.vimeo.com/4977717

internet machine GO!

-Tom

Tone Deft

Re: How much would you be willing to pay?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 am

find forge's prices and go 80% of that.

although the dreads are cred... maybe 90%. :twisted:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 am

Not to say this wouldnt be the best dvd ever. But 20 bucks is a good norm price for anything. If it gets to expensive you turn away alot of people. But if you dont charge enough... well... then it will look cheapo depot... any way my two cents... (Lol cents, pitch, HA)
Because Whatever.

Imaulle

Post by Imaulle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:42 am

just finished watching the demo video you have up. really really great video!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:05 am

What?
No option to wait until video is available for free on torrent??

:roll:

For $20-$25, you'll get a lot of takers.

Worth a lot more, but $50 or higher, people will start to justify their spending.

Tone Deft Wrote
find forge's prices and go 80% of that.

although the dreads are cred... maybe 90%. :twisted:
Are you saying that Tom's Videos are 10/20% worse than Forges?
Or are you suggesting he under cuts his price to destroy his share of the market? :twisted:

COSM

Post by COSM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 pm

bamp

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm

I'd pay, for sure. :oops:

Most DVDs of that ilk seem to be around £35/£40, so I'd say probably about $40/£36.42
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 pm

7-8 hours is a long video. If it's wall-to-wall goodness then it's probably worth at least 40-50. How many flies you'll attract at that price point is a different issue though.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Can I make a suggestion.

Don't put em on DVD, give people access from your website.

They'll get torrented straight away and your income is likely to drop if ppl can get em for free.

if you stream them from your site then you might be protecting your revenue stream.

I like your tutorials. Can you speak faster though please? I got called a speed freak for this in another thread about this recently. However I find all video tutorials intensely slow and annoying bar the ones that Sound Toys did, the guys a nut in them but the pace is much better.

I'd drop you 20 bucks for your vid if you did it. Or have em on your site and people have to join your member thing for 3 months to get access or summat. I don't know how much would be relevant as I program my own stuff from scratch mostly but 20 bucks is the kinda money where you think, a. it's supporting someone who seems to give a f*ck about other people unlike some of the tossers on the internet and b. it's enough money that even if i didn't learn anything new but looked at something i know already in a different way then it'd still be money well spent. . .

I am a bit over video tutorials though, for example, i have all the logic ones from mac pro video on my drive many of which were unwatched cos i found them too slow (and the guys voice kinda did my head in, but mainly cos they are too slow).
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:30 pm

i like the 30 price point, as well as an option to donate or something. Something clever.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm

BUMP!

Best tutorial video ever - i started watching and went straight to the finish non stop.
Conclusion: i will buy that tutorial dvd at whatever price you set it, which will be fair i believe, or become a pro member.

...but only when i find the money for it, right now i'm stretching as far as i can for the apc by the end of June.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:26 pm

tw1nstates wrote: Can you speak faster though please? .
Au contraire, it's amazing the speed at which he is doing what he is doing, while still explaining it at the same time!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:34 pm

tw1nstates wrote:Can I make a suggestion.

Don't put em on DVD, give people access from your website.

They'll get torrented straight away and your income is likely to drop if ppl can get em for free.
I think thats a good point... However... I had a couple of instructional CD ROMs that pissed me off. I would rather put them in my DVD (attached to TV) player. I still haven't seen all of those CD ROMs... I would actually rather sit back, smoke a fatty and watch something on DVD.

I hate watching shit on my computer. Hate it. Even YouTube is annoying after 20 minutes or so... I'm done.

So for me 20 bucks is a great risk for the content. 25-35 still seems reasonable. After that I start thinking about how easy it is to pick up a book or take one with me on the train, plane or automobile...

briwest

Post by briwest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm sure whatever price you settle on will be fine. These videos are very easy to follow, and you do some nice things with the beats and sounds. Do I agree with every little thing you do to the sounds, no. But again that's music! :mrgreen:

Btw, I think AskVideo, which already did a tutorial on this programme is $30, but IMO you did a much better job. AskVideos go quite slow and it gets annoying because they use next to no short cuts.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Hey,

Diffrent stroks for different folks I guess, I recently watched the bassline tutorial that Tom did again but that's the only one for a while. . . I found that slow however, perhaps the sectret is in the editing? I.e. in the best blue peter fashion, here's one I made earlier.
As for watching the dvd while not at the computer. yeah fair point. I always want to watch in my studio however. Because if you want to try something then it's easy to do so.

So online would suit and it means thattoms ip isn't gonna get ripped off the day after its released. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave