Classical Music

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
liveISlife

Classical Music

Post by liveISlife » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 am

I have been listening to Beethoven and Vivaldi the past few days. It really seems like culture in general has gone downhill since then. Thoughts?

P.S. does anyone know any modern people that are like Beethoven or Vivaldi or the the like? (you know, that hardcore classical shit that Kings listen to while they are having a sex orgy and killing people. thx.)

SimonPHC

Re: Classical Music

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:50 am

Brahms
Ligeti
Bach
Alban Berg

On the futuristic edge I'd say
Dopplereffekt (esp their last album)
Der Zyklus
(Florian) Hecker
and on the very Romantic side ATOM™ his latest album Liedgut

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:06 am

a lot of film musik has the classic approach:

john williams
phillip glas
michael nyman
alan silvestry

just to name a few

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:35 am

liveISlife wrote:I have been listening to Beethoven and Vivaldi the past few days. It really seems like culture in general has gone downhill since then. Thoughts?
Definitely agree as far as art and philosophy goes. That was the peak of human civilization so far, everything happening at that time was absolutely incredible, even by today's standards.

Some stuff check:
Antonin Dvorak
Barber
Shostakovich
Brahms
Debussy
Haydn
Schubert
Glinka
Chopin
Stravinksy
Bach
Mozart
Steve Reich (modern minimalism)
Tchaikovsky

P.S. I'm a sucker for chamber music.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:44 am

chopin etudes ftw.
???

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:50 am

leonard wrote:chopin etudes ftw.
Funny, I just walked over to my piano on a whim and played the E minor Prelude a minute ago. Chopin does rule.
Unsound Designer

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:57 am

I like all the standard old dudes. bach and pachelbel turn me on the hardest though.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:59 am

Certainly modern music has its geniuses. The problem is, modern music is so much about, the illusions of advertising, and marketing, that what is really around to listen to nowadays, is about as engaging as a Big Mac.

Surely, Beethoven would have been overlooked in 2009, for something with a bit more marketability. Fall Out Boy, or the Killers, or Spears, BLAH. They are not really musicians, but they are the stars.

I know I've said this before, but really I love this. Music today, is just like the bottled water industry. Advertising, over reality. That said, certainly Lennon, Childs, Vai, Hendrix, and quite possible BT, Tate, Koglin, and a whole host of others are geniuses.
too many lasers...

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:15 am

Horowitz plays Chopin Polonaise Op. 53 in A flat major

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGi49Bn ... ted&pos=17

seriously thank you for reminding me!

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 am

j2j wrote:Certainly modern music has its geniuses. The problem is, modern music is so much about, the illusions of advertising, and marketing, that what is really around to listen to nowadays, is about as engaging as a Big Mac.

Surely, Beethoven would have been overlooked in 2009, for something with a bit more marketability. Fall Out Boy, or the Killers, or Spears, BLAH. They are not really musicians, but they are the stars.

I know I've said this before, but really I love this. Music today, is just like the bottled water industry. Advertising, over reality. That said, certainly Lennon, Childs, Vai, Hendrix, and quite possible BT, Tate, Koglin, and a whole host of others are geniuses.

I dunno man, a lot of the great music of the past century doesn't really seem to hold a candle to the classics as far as professionalism, complexity, and subtlety are concerned.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:30 am

Android Bishop wrote:
j2j wrote:Certainly modern music has its geniuses. The problem is, modern music is so much about, the illusions of advertising, and marketing, that what is really around to listen to nowadays, is about as engaging as a Big Mac.

I dunno man, a lot of the great music of the past century doesn't really seem to hold a candle to the classics as far as professionalism, complexity, and subtlety are concerned.

Well, I dunno...

Todays musicians are, "professionals," The difference is back than, the musicians were more artists. Look at todays artists, and not todays marketing phenoms, and you can see true music.

But, Chopin, Taikovsky, ??

How do you compare...

How many Einstiens are walking around today?

Maybe there is another Mozart coming along in a few years. Maybe he hasn't been noticed, and will never be noticed, cause the world we live in, doesn't have space for music. It is all drowned out by marketed noise.
too many lasers...

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:33 am

in my undereducated opinion i find Mike Paton to be one of those walking Einstiens
Last edited by bosonHavoc on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:34 am

Thank you all for the recommendations! 8)

I think about how the classical music represents the intelligence of the people at the time. I mean think about all the things that have to come together for this shit to go down. You need the knowledge of how to craft all the instruments and how to tune then and design them and all that. You need to write the music for all the instruments and get it to sound good. Shits crazy. The thing is that this classical music is kind of the same as mainstream music today. They where filling up concert halls and making loot back then too! Ain't nothing new under the sun as they say.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:37 am

^^^^^^what? what about ray charles, stevie ray vaughn, led zeppelin,Kris Kristofferson or jimmy hendrix. or do you mean today as in alive right now?

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:46 am

my favorite modern composer is john williams. I really couldnt name another one though. Theres a russian guy who tours the us every once in awhile and a couple of pianists who play original compositions backed by orchestras that Ive heard but I cant remember any of the their names.