Waiting for Max for live..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Leon Tricker

Re: Waiting for Max for live..

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:26 pm

I think it would be fair to assume that Cycling 74 have got a lot on their plate with Max 5. So, even if Ableton are ready to start focussing on MfL, they have to wait for C74.

That's not a criticism of either company; just an observation.

My personal view is I'd rather wait for a stable release than a rushed one. It is frstrating to have to wait, but I am glad they announced this so far in advance. If they hadn't I probably would have bought Max by now, and then been frustrated when MfL was announced that I'd invested money/time into Max when MfL was around the corner.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Leon Tricker wrote:[...]but I am glad they announced this so far in advance. If they hadn't I probably would have bought Max by now, and then been frustrated when MfL was announced that I'd invested money/time into Max when MfL was around the corner.
I can understand the money, but saying you'd be frustrated by having put time into Max when M4L was around the corner sounds a little funny.

Putting time into Max is putting time into M4L. :?
Unsound Designer

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Leon Tricker wrote:[...]but I am glad they announced this so far in advance. If they hadn't I probably would have bought Max by now, and then been frustrated when MfL was announced that I'd invested money/time into Max when MfL was around the corner.
I can understand the money, but saying you'd be frustrated by having put time into Max when M4L was around the corner sounds a little funny.

Putting time into Max is putting time into M4L. :?
Yeah, I understand what you mean... maybe 'time' wasn't the best word to use. What I meant to say was I think I will find it easier to get into MfL than the standalone Max because MfL will be running inside a familiar environment (Live).

Not sure I'm explaining myself well... which isn't unusual for me :D

On a related subject, I was intrigued by the images posted by DJ Synchro and have only just found the info on the C74 website about Pluggo and Hipno etc. being discontinued. The article link is:

http://www.cycling74.com/?op=displaysto ... 101259/594

In the article are the images Synchro posted and an explanation that new versions of Pluggo plug-ins will be included in MfL. Frankly, I am more than happy to wait a bit longer for MfL if it is going to include so much additional content!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Leon Tricker wrote:What I meant to say was I think I will find it easier to get into MfL than the standalone Max because MfL will be running inside a familiar environment (Live).
Once you hit the Edit button on a M4L device you'll just be in a Max patcher, so the impact of the Live environment will be minimal (e. g. you will have to fit the GUI of the M4L device into an area that corresponds with the size of Live's device window).
Unsound Designer

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm

m4l is going to open a pandora box of whining and alike around here.
most users will go with pluggo, mode, hypno premade stuff.
others will BEG for a help.

CerebralNektar

Post by CerebralNektar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm

If only I could customize my APC NOW !!
Max is not much complicated for simple midi remapping/filtering stuff :) (like toggle to trigger conversion etc.)
Live 8 Suite Box, Max/MSP | APC 40, PadKontrol, BCF+BCR, Keycontrol 49, Intuos 3 Wide A5 | Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2,26Ghz, 12Gb, Radeon 4870, Raid 0 drives | Mindprint Trio S/Pdif | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | MBP Core I5 2.4Ghz, 4Gb

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Trip Downtown wrote:
3dot... wrote:...for real ?! :roll:
:roll:
If it's more interesting for you, in your mind you can replace my post with 'I speculate without basis it will be out sometime in the last quarter of the year. I am also looking forward to it.'.

Let noone say I don't I attempt to please everyone on the internet. 8)
a yes/no would've been enough... 8)

so..erm..when is M4L out...anyways...?

db2

Post by db2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Honestly I'm sure they will just add a separate max4live forum here and other places, and yes, many users will be whining and crying, but people can just set strict mod options of no specific detailed max4live questions in the other forums.

Honestly, some simple ideas can be executed in max by someone with a very basic routing understanding and a simple concept. The more complex stuff is a different story, but thats kind of the appeal of the max environment and community. You begin by tweaking and editing stuff, building some simple models and testing them, and then it slowly pulls you in, but for sure this is usually a several year process of exploration, and when people have jobs, families, hobbies, yeah, learning max is usually a slow, ongoing process!

So it sounds like this might not drop till the end of the year eh? I was hoping to upgrade to live 8 suite + max4live at the same time and get some kind of discount, but this is seeming less and less likely this year... le sigh.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm not surprised it's taking time - I imagine it's a massive undertaking.

I'm interested in how cpu efficient M4L devices will be - I presume all of the Live effects (and other vsts) are coded in C++ (?) for cpu efficiency - in which case is M4L going to produce much less cpu-efficient devices?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:18 pm

db2 wrote:Honestly, some simple ideas can be executed in max by someone with a very basic routing understanding and a simple concept. The more complex stuff is a different story, but thats kind of the appeal of the max environment and community. You begin by tweaking and editing stuff, building some simple models and testing them, and then it slowly pulls you in, but for sure this is usually a several year process of exploration, and when people have jobs, families, hobbies, yeah, learning max is usually a slow, ongoing process!
All very true. Many of the things I want/hope to do are really dead simple to do with Max, but they are ideas that could greatly enhance the way Live functions (for me at least). Of course a lot of this depends on how much control M4L will really have when it comes to the official API.
Unsound Designer

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Tone Deft wrote:an Abe (Dave Hill) told us that people at Ableton don't even know.
Yes, we should always trust public statements by the Abes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWokLw6dR6U

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:57 pm

nebulae wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:an Abe (Dave Hill) told us that people at Ableton don't even know.

Technically, Robert doesn't work for Ableton. Its more the other way around :wink:

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:59 pm

nebulae wrote:

hahaha well played :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Hoffman - ouch. apparently Henke doesn't care for session view automation, that bastard!!

good point neb, I don't know if New Yorkers are any less shady than Berliners.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
nebulae wrote:

Technically, Robert doesn't work for Ableton. Its more the other way around :wink:
If that's the case, then clearly, the king has lost control of his subjects!!

L8 Vocoder FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!