Waiting for Max for live..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shlomo

Re: Waiting for Max for live..

Post by shlomo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Who will support Max for Live, Ableton or Cycling '74?
Ableton support is likely to be the best source for information about using Max devices in Live. Cycling '74 support can answer questions about the Max authoring environment. Neither company is planning to spend a lot of time teaching you how to program in Max, but there are many resources for that, whether at educational institutions, within the Max application itself, or on-line.

official c74 info page FAQ...
i know many of you think that patching simple stuff in max is easy. de facto it really is if you have been doing it for several years, but if you are a fresh starter you will probably have more headaches than pleasure. so where will you go with your newbie question?
obviously not on c74 forums...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:48 pm

shlomo wrote:i know many of you think that patching simple stuff in max is easy. de facto it really is if you have been doing it for several years, but if you are a fresh starter you will probably have more headaches than pleasure.
have you used max before?

why's it obvious people won't go to the C74 forums? have you ever looked there?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Hoffman - ouch. apparently Henke doesn't care for session view automation, that bastard!!
Well he did talk Ableton and Cycling into doing Max for Live. :wink:

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Tone Deft wrote: have you used max before?
yes, maybe too much
Tone Deft wrote: why's it obvious people won't go to the C74 forums? have you ever looked there?
because they stated themselves they wont jump in and help newcomers

btw, the most frequent answer since max forum went online is: have you done the tutorials? :wink:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 pm

shlomo - cool, good to know. I really try to downplay the talk of max being so difficult, it doesn't have to be. it can make you want to break keyboards but it can be simple. I never did find the C74 forums all that helpful, I have no doubt that this place will be helpful although the really obvious n00b questions will get annoying. being intimidated by something before you learn it isn't a good way to start.

did they ever help newcomers? the people at Ableton answer maybe one out of a thousand questions on this forum, it's so well known for answers that people come here to ask about non-Ableton software.

:lol: maxheads should set up a paypal account "I'll fix your patch for $1."

hoffman2k wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Hoffman - ouch. apparently Henke doesn't care for session view automation, that bastard!!
Well he did talk Ableton and Cycling into doing Max for Live. :wink:
for reals? I thought it was compensation for getting Behles to paint their SF office.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 pm

and max users will get a fully functioning timeline object... 8)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Nine years ago, Robert Henke told me about the edit button.

Robert was in Anaheim, giving amazing Live 1.0 demos non-stop at Ableton's first NAMM booth, and before the last day of the show, we were chatting in the topiary-enhanced parking lot of Stovall's Inn. Having used Max to prototype some of the first effects included with Live, Robert told me he wanted to be able to reprogram his effects on the fly, without stopping the music, just the way everything else worked in Live. At that time, the reality for Robert would have involved translating his revised patch into a C program and rebuilding a new version of Live. This was not exactly the real-time development cycle he was used to as a Max user.
http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/1/15/112631/799

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 pm

thanks man, nice read!!!

Live's limits are now your imagination's limits. (Who knows, maybe they won't need to add any more features!)

here's a insider tip: Ableton's MIDI, plug-in, and ReWire implementations were always the most stable we dealt with
stable MIDI? Live's MIDI clock is stable? ummmmm Señor Zicarelli, we need to talk.

it's interesting to read that Live had an influence on max 5 and the two companies have been dancing together for so long.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
thanks man, nice read!!!

Live's limits are now your imagination's limits. (Who knows, maybe they won't need to add any more features!)

here's a insider tip: Ableton's MIDI, plug-in, and ReWire implementations were always the most stable we dealt with
stable MIDI? Live's MIDI clock is stable? ummmmm Señor Zicarelli, we need to talk.

it's interesting to read that Live had an influence on max 5 and the two companies have been dancing together for so long.
It also shows an interesting fact. While we can't imagine how audio software is going to be like in another decade, they can and they did. And if you ever get the privilege to chat with Bernd, you'll learn that Live is viewed by Ableton as something that will carry long into the future.

While we can rightfully get upset for still having no session recording, I doubt that Ableton will come up with anything short of a brilliant solution. I mean, if they halfarsed it now, it wouldn't take much to get hosts like Reaper and the likes the boost they seek. And while some people suggest its as simple as copying session view, we both know Live is built to be abused. Linear daws are all about rules.
Live can take a beating because its built for it. One of the reasons they probably feel confident to integrate Max.

With max for live coming, my new mac lust, a huge order of parts on the way and a DIY modular synth in the works.. I'm set to become the happiest geek in the world. (probably living in a cardboard box, tapping power and the fridge of Machinate)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 pm

hoffman2k wrote:...if you ever get the privilege to chat with Bernd, you'll learn that Live is viewed by Ableton as something that will carry long into the future.
I tried to strike up a conversation with Dave Hill when he was at Robotspeak. when I mentioned the forum he said he doesn't read it, it's full of insults and flame wars (what a retard!) then he looked at me like I asked to rape his kitten and started to pack up his gear even faster. I guess I have that affect (effect?) on people.
:oops: :( :cry:
(it was well after midnight NYC time and he just gave two back to back two hour sessions. the guy was beat.)

it'll be really interesting to see what happens with max4Live in the next 2-3 years. Live probably won't be recognizable on some peoples' machines. it'll also be interesting to see how the Pro Fools react with their DAWier-than-thou attitudes. simple - "stfu bitch, mine is more fun, face it."
While we can rightfully get upset for still having no session recording, I doubt that Ableton will come up with anything short of a brilliant solution. I mean, if they halfarsed it now, it wouldn't take much to get hosts like Reaper and the likes the boost they seek. And while some people suggest its as simple as copying session view, we both know Live is built to be abused. Linear daws are all about rules.
their solution to the 128 parameter limit is brilliant! there are some things I still gripe about, but FFS I have the interweb and what do I choose to do with it? talk about their software all day. oh man, I need a intervention.

Live can take a beating because its built for it. One of the reasons they probably feel confident to integrate Max.
Timur... paging Timur... Timur please report to the forum, there have been declarations of stability with Live.
With max for live coming, my new mac lust, a huge order of parts on the way and a DIY modular synth in the works.. I'm set to become the happiest geek in the world. (probably living in a cardboard box, tapping power and the fridge of Machinate)
take a picture of the wife to hang in your box. if you're not using her, ChiDJ could, maybe you can work out a leasing arrangement to pay for modular parts. good luck with the project, try to keep the smoke INSIDE the wires.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Why do you need Timur to say its stable or not?
I've been crashing Live for years, will do so for many years to come. As of today's beta, Ableton fixed all the crash related bugs I reported bar one (.avi crash). Will I find new ways to crash Live? Give me max in Live and I'll explode some CPU's!

You're probably the last person who needs a refresher on signal to noise ratio.
There will always be more noise if people consider a crash as a personal affront.
Ironically, usually all it takes is one clear signal to get rid of the crashing.
So ranting will always overpower the silence of people actually making music in this community.
No wonder the "link your music" got moved to the top. Subtly but surely, this community has to change.
100-200 people come here daily. Some of us for years. At some points in those years i spent more hours on this forum than in Live. This forum community shapes our lives for the better or the worse. But Share is step 1 of a change we can't even imagine.

Anyway, my point here is: there are literally thousands upon thousands of people who use Live and couldn't give a crap about an history anybody may have on this forum.
If they log on to find some info about Live and all they find is.. Well this.. They probably aren't coming back. And good for them, they don't need this kind of fucked up addiction.
The people who are enjoying themselves aren't just going to stop doing so just to log on to here to cool some tempers. Some do, but there's too much noise to really notice.
If Live is the center of your community, then why not consider reporting bugs as improving the community? Because it does. Person A discovers bug, reports it and it gets fixed eventually. Person B subsequently never runs into the bug and lives happily ever after.

stutter

Post by stutter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 am

hoffman2k wrote:Live can take a beating because its built for it. One of the reasons they probably feel confident to integrate Max.
that's why we have to wait a little longer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:22 am

the Timur thing was just a joke, a typical noise source. to his credit he had a pretty strong signal, just an unstable oscillator for a carrier.

I do try to answer more questions and OT stuff I write. I also rarely make new threads and if they die, I let them die. I rarely bump my own threads unless it's something on topic I really care about. I'm working on posting more music stuff and getting over that block.

dunno why you're addressing me about this. I don't contribute? :?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:30 am

Tone Deft wrote:the Timur thing was just a joke, a typical noise source. to his credit he had a pretty strong signal, just an unstable oscillator for a carrier.

I do try to answer more questions and OT stuff I write. I also rarely make new threads and if they die, I let them die. I rarely bump my own threads unless it's something on topic I really care about. I'm working on posting more music stuff and getting over that block.

dunno why you're addressing me about this. I don't contribute? :?
It wasn't a criticism. More of an observation.
You deliver signal compared to others who love to rant and complain about Live. If you tell them to help themselves by reporting a bug. The reply will be "I paid for Live, it has to be fixed". And that is the end of it, until they start ranting again on the next opportunity they see.
Make no mistake, Timur is still here. He just learned to STFU :wink:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

ranting is a must...