I was once lost, now I have been found, I just discovered

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sibanger

Re: I was once lost, now I have been found, I just discovered

Post by Sibanger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Heaps of GREAT Shaun Ryder interviews on youtube with him completely off chops.

Heaps of them. :lol:

One of my favs, an early one-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23479Q-5 ... re=related

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:The Stone Roses didn't release many albums (2 albums), I think their most popular track was "Fools Gold" - drumming not often heard outside of soul and funk genres at the time of its release (check out Reni - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wren ). At any rate, The first album was the better of the two IMO - Shoot You Down was another track with some pretty nice drums, although I pretty much think the whole album was great (This Is The One, Elizabeth my dear, were also faves). They remind me of a younger version of The Doves.

Love Spreads was the only hit I remember from the second album...I listened to Second Coming a few times, but never got into it.
big fan of the Roses here, but the main drums on Fools gold is a sample loop of JBs "Funky Drummer", its not something Wren came up with!

it's actually "Hot Pants"..... close though, that was certainly the time frame where every kid and his grandmother was using the "Funky Drummer" and "Ashley's Roachclip" (think Milli Vanilli) breaks.

edit: they used it in an interesting way - if i remember right, the break was not used in a nice 4/4 time signature, so that added to the funky syncopated feel of the drums/percussion

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

I love all these bands!! woo!

One band I think that should be mentioned, was late 90s but they were SO GOOD, The Autumns , their album "Angel Pool"... I could listen to that on repeat forever...

RonC
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:43 pm

blakbeltjonez wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:The Stone Roses didn't release many albums (2 albums), I think their most popular track was "Fools Gold" - drumming not often heard outside of soul and funk genres at the time of its release (check out Reni - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wren ). At any rate, The first album was the better of the two IMO - Shoot You Down was another track with some pretty nice drums, although I pretty much think the whole album was great (This Is The One, Elizabeth my dear, were also faves). They remind me of a younger version of The Doves.

Love Spreads was the only hit I remember from the second album...I listened to Second Coming a few times, but never got into it.
big fan of the Roses here, but the main drums on Fools gold is a sample loop of JBs "Funky Drummer", its not something Wren came up with!

it's actually "Hot Pants"..... close though, that was certainly the time frame where every kid and his grandmother was using the "Funky Drummer" and "Ashley's Roachclip" (think Milli Vanilli) breaks.

edit: they used it in an interesting way - if i remember right, the break was not used in a nice 4/4 time signature, so that added to the funky syncopated feel of the drums/percussion
Your right, I just listened back to hot pants (a great track).
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

greta

Post by greta » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:51 pm

The second Coming (Stone Roses) is a vastly underated album IMHO. No it's not as good as the first but it's still great. Defintely a guitarist's album. The guitar on Daybreak blows me away every time.

and a +1 for all the plaudits for Kevin Shields and My Bloody Valentine. Wonderful band.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:MTV was an utter abomination to the American music culture. Can you say Boy George? MTV dealt a death blow by ushering in a musical consciousness likened to cocaine and plastic, spandex and hair spray. Completely artificial and corporately marketed. It was microwave music for the masses.
So true. So true.
I often think about the irony of the first song they played... Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star.
At least they played music videos then... i guess...

greta wrote:The second Coming (Stone Roses) is a vastly underated album IMHO.
I'm with you on this one.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 am

:oops: SO I am reading the cd liner notes on Happy Mondays, pills bills and bellyaches. I noticed that paul oakenfold produced and arranged it. I always though he was more of a DJ. COuld somebody school me on the connection. I guess I'll be googling as well. Interesting 6 degrees of separation though, I would not have know his career intertwined with those guys.

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 am

crazyness....I just jot a lesson in music history I never knew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Oakenfold
I thought he came much later into the industry....I did not know he went back as far as the late 70's.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:43 am

aisling wrote:

It was guitarist John Squire who actually discovered the track. He recalled in Q magazine: "We were signing copies of our single, 'She Bangs The Drums,' in a Manchester record shop called Eastern Bloc. The owner said we could pick a couple of albums as a thank you and I picked out a breakbeats album because I liked the cover and I wanted to see what it was all about. That's where I heard the 'Funky Drummer' loop that we built 'Fools Gold' around."
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

astromass

Post by astromass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:50 am

+1 on JAMES
saw them in DC last october and was blown away....
top notch performers...they had the crowd in the palm of their hands.....
and andy diagram playing the trumpet in an ugly womens gown was really spectacular.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:08 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
aisling wrote:

It was guitarist John Squire who actually discovered the track. He recalled in Q magazine: "We were signing copies of our single, 'She Bangs The Drums,' in a Manchester record shop called Eastern Bloc. The owner said we could pick a couple of albums as a thank you and I picked out a breakbeats album because I liked the cover and I wanted to see what it was all about. That's where I heard the 'Funky Drummer' loop that we built 'Fools Gold' around."
thanks for the clarification