which SOFT SYNTH should i get next?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Purchase SONIK SYNTH 2.
2%
Purchase SYLENTH1.
47%
Stick with OPERATOR and create my own new sounds.
51%

Total votes: 57

teardove

Post by teardove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 am

I'm bored. i need new sounds to use.

casioaz1

Re: which SOFT SYNTH should i get next?

Post by casioaz1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 am

Why not MASSIVE?
Stick with OPERATOR. stack up sounds...you'll be amazed.

teardove

Post by teardove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 am

casioaz1 wrote:Why not MASSIVE?
Stick with OPERATOR. stack up sounds...you'll be amazed.
i already have MASSIVE, SAMPLETANK 2.5XL, KORG LEGACY COLLECTION.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 am

+1 operator...I have been mangling noise with it a lot lately, and it is ruling my world. Starting to have fantasies about recording an entire album with nothing but operators and maybe a few vocals.

casioaz1

Post by casioaz1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:33 am

porfiry wrote:+1 operator...I have been mangling noise with it a lot lately, and it is ruling my world. Starting to have fantasies about recording an entire album with nothing but operators and maybe a few vocals.
i'm interested in hearing your work. keep us posted mate.

teardove

Post by teardove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 am

I think the YOUTUBE demos of SYLENTH1 really sold me on wanting it. but, i'm sure i could create them in OPERATOR. i just love presets so much, and lazy to create my own.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:39 am

teardove wrote:I think the YOUTUBE demos of SYLENTH1 really sold me on wanting it. but, i'm sure i could create them in OPERATOR. i just love presets so much, and lazy to create my own.
just wait for DJ Hero to come out. Then you can have all the fun of being a Produca without any of that troublesome effort.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 am

teardove wrote:I think the YOUTUBE demos of SYLENTH1 really sold me on wanting it. but, i'm sure i could create them in OPERATOR. i just love presets so much, and lazy to create my own.
You gotta get over that...the real gold is in turning those knobs. Presets are for when you want to sound like everyone else. :)

If you really MUST get something third-party, get Zebra...there is some real power there, and the new Zebrify functionality sounds like it's going to be kind of earthshattering in 2.5.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:45 am

casioaz1 wrote:
porfiry wrote:+1 operator...I have been mangling noise with it a lot lately, and it is ruling my world. Starting to have fantasies about recording an entire album with nothing but operators and maybe a few vocals.
i'm interested in hearing your work. keep us posted mate.
So am I...just give me 6 months or a year. :)

casioaz1

Post by casioaz1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:46 am

i heard alot of people say ZEBRA is a little confusing for the novice.true?

teardove

Post by teardove » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am

sonik synth 2 says it has over 5,000 sounds. i wonder though, are all those sounds unique for each one? or a bunch of similar sounds just tweaked a little bit?

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:51 am

look into tone2's gladiator synth, its a whole nother thing that would bring a greater diversity to your sounds, its a really unique and powerful synth.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:56 am

Sonic Synth 2 is okay though I do like it better than sampletank for most stuff.

It has some good sounds though. But not really a knob tweaking analog style synth but more of a digital workstation layering type synth.

Here are my main gripes:

1. Doesn't do disk streaming. This means you need a good amount of ram on reserve for super smooth playback otherwise you will hear pops and clicks mainly only when changing presets while the audio engine is playing. Kontakt 2 or even Live Sampler for that matter is a more smoother experience even though Kontakt is more crash prone than SS, and Sampler doesn't come with any cool presets unless you are talking about the EIC2 collection which you don't need Sampler for.

2. No Scroll wheel plug-in control. I think this is a Live VST issue though. This makes scrolling for sounds a bit of a pain.

3. Search function is buggy. I've crashed Ableton trying to search for sounds in Sonic Synth.

If you like operator though, you'll probably love FM8. It has a nice preset list (the Kore style browser is a very ingenious concept) and is highly tweakable although a little confusing to learn to program, but it is capable of a wide variety of sounds and can sound very good.

Massive is another killer synth. It is basically subtractive synthesis with a twist where each oscillator can morph into another oscillator.

For tweakability though nothing beats Reason Thor or Malstrom. Those synths are workhorses. Very easy to understand and tweak.

It depends more on what you want. Synth wise I think it is better to only have a couple of synths you know in and out and can program with. Maybe a good FM synth and a good subtractive synth.

But if you need a good sample library, you will have to look at more Rompler stuff.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:14 am

casioaz1 wrote:i heard alot of people say ZEBRA is a little confusing for the novice.true?
Not really, just take it slow and work through the online manual. Very well worth the time you spend learning to use it.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 am

How the hell did you get bored with Massive AND the KLC?!
Those two would keep me busy for years.