Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gab

Re: Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Post by Gab » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 am

master swing wrote:funny site on the whole, I liked the section about the ableton preset designers and the comparison to photoshop.
Same. It's incredibly enlightening to read such words from a pro (while only amateurs post on this forum).
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 am

cwnc wrote:Nothing else even comes close.
Exactly, that is why it costs, what it costs. If you need the program, and want to use it legally, than you have to purchase it from the company. If you would like to upgrade it, and keep it up to date, than you have to purchase that as well.

If you are playing music for the love of it, $200 bucks every 18 months or so, is really not that bad.

If you are playing music every night, on Area 38 sirius radio, and can not find $200, shame on you.
too many lasers...

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 am

cwnc wrote:
Poster wrote:
cwnc wrote:If you're going to discount what I have to say, give actual examples.
well for starters you can double click to add a marker at any given location..
Live 8 doesn’t let you “double click” and add warp points in these sections, noooo… warp points are only allowed to be placed on transients. Even if you’re not using a transient-based warping method.
True, but the point is this - blablabla
the point was you say it is impossible to add markers anywhere..

fixed..

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 am

the Browser’s new waveform display only lets you scrub clips you’ve already warped.
wrong.. make sure 'Raw' is disabled and scrub away..

Multi-parameter manipulation - ; this basically allows you to select multiple tracks, and adjust all their volume or pan all at once.
Something which previously required you to either map it to a midi device
wrong.. if you have parameters set to different values, MIDI mapping will reset all parameter values to the same value..
new feature, previously not doable..

cwnc

Post by cwnc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:41 am

Poster wrote:
the Browser’s new waveform display only lets you scrub clips you’ve already warped.

If only this were true. Try disabling "warp long clips by default" and see what happens.

Or try it on clips you haven't loaded yet.
Multi-parameter manipulation - ; this basically allows you to select multiple tracks, and adjust all their volume or pan all at once.
wrong.. if you have parameters set to different values, MIDI mapping will reset all parameter values to the same value..
Okay, you've got me there. But I wouldn't call it a "feature" if the behavior is already present in several other areas of the program (clip parameters). It feels more like a bug fix; filling in something that shouldn't have been omitted to begin with.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

:lol:

Reminds me of yesterday. I ran into a "pro" like yourself who was hellbent on telling me why Fruity Loops was superior. It really pays to hear these people out. After all, laughing is healthy.

Better make some room in that tummy cause I got a feeling you'll be eating a lot of words soon :wink:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 am

Well, i think from your general posts it is obvious you don't really love Live. 'Ableton preset deisgners: Fuck you'? A note of love perhaps?

I think it's distinctly possible you are deluiberately out there poisoning minds against ableton for your own commercial benefit. However giving you the benfit of the doubt at the moment, and the fact that your 'waste of money' article is merely your personal opinion i shall respond in kind.

1. Groove engines

You simply say that the old way was better, this is subjective. I therefore say that the new way is better. The ability to extract grooves from other source material is a new feature that in itself justfies the change. we have already had examples in the forum where people are being creative about how to extract grooves for future use including recording your beatboxing and live midi drums and extracting the groove, saving for future use.

Why wouldnt any self respecting digital musician know what Ableton are talking about, to me it's very clear. The groove library is also a great starting point. Add in the ability to change the quantization, velocity and randomisation and I'd say only an idiot can't see where this is so far advanced in respect of the previous groove application in live that I need say no more.

My advice is to try playing with it a bit mroe, you'll get the hang of it.

Your comments seem to be, and in fact you say it yourself, directed at the average idiot user. however again my opinion, but i don't think the average live user is an idiot and therefore it isn't in anyway frustrating, more the opposite. I find it fun. But then, i don't think I am an idiot.

No Ableton fail.

2. warping engine

Who, working with music for any length of time, doesn't know what a transient is. You rant here is simply a waste of time.

I can stretch transients just fine by the way. It's a lovely sound design tool, you should try it. try loading your transient led sample into sampler, or simpler, and playing with it. I can also record myself making a P or a T sound and do the same. They might not remain transients, but i can stretch them.

As you say yourself, you'll get a lot out of Live 8s transient based approach.

Until you come across a section with no discernioble transients. Ah, bless, will you have to do a bit of manual warping, come let mummy do it for you. It isn't an issue for the rest of us becasue you CAN double click anywhere to create a new warp marker.

No Ableton fail.

3. Looper

You simply don't understand looper, thats clear. however for you it's not an issue as you celaryl dont need to loop AND layer at the same time. Try doing that in one clip.

There are live users out there right now playing live using looper in a very succesful and entertaining way. the fact you are not one fo them doesn'#t make it a fail it simply makes it a feature you don't use.

Not saying it dopesnt have limitations but they don't write it off.

4. New Effects

I use them all regularly in a more succesful way than with any L7 presets or racks. In my opinion they are much better and as a collection probably wirth the price of the upgrade on their own, and they are native.

I can't go on. Your tone is all wrong and seems to be deliberately aimed at abusing Ableton and it's employees (retards, morons, you'll be replaced by real programmers)

I kind of skim read the rest to be honest, while yawning. Unfortunately I don't have razor sharp eyesight, like you. or frankly a limitless boredom threshold.

Hilarious stuff.

astromass

Post by astromass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:47 am

mmmm currywurst.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:53 am

Stoped reading when i saw a slight comparasin to FL Studio.

cwnc

Post by cwnc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 am

UKRuss wrote:Well, i think from your general posts it is obvious you don't really love Live. 'Ableton preset deisgners: Fuck you'? A note of love perhaps?

Hilarious stuff.
I would think someone named "UKRuss" would understand my dry humor. Points taken on the groove engine and such.

I really do love Ableton Live, but no other software company would release something with so few changes and call it a full version upgrade. And they certainly wouldn't charge $189 for it.

And funky shit, your big red letters make you look like an idiot. No offense.
Last edited by cwnc on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 am

cwnc wrote:
Poster wrote:
If only this were true. Try disabling "warp long clips by default" and see what happens.

Or try it on clips you haven't loaded yet.
either way, it works.. :wink:

Poster wrote:wrong.. if you have parameters set to different values, MIDI mapping will reset all parameter values to the same value..
cwnc wrote:Okay, you've got me there. But I wouldn't call it a "feature" if It feels more like a bug fix;
call it what you want but behaviour that wasn't there previously is called a new feature in my book..
cwnc wrote:the behavior is already present in several other areas of the program (clip parameters).
nope.. this new behaviour makes sure that if you for instance have different mixer volume settings,
then adjust multiple volume faders, each value gets scaled proportionally to its own value..
like it or not, thats not the same behaviour as selecting multiple clips and adjust a parameter..

/trollbitting..
Last edited by Poster on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 am

cwnc wrote: And funky shit, you're an idiot.
Because...

poodleface

Post by poodleface » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53CbTMd3Kc

All arguments are solved by keyboard cat.

Edited with Live 8 :D
  1. Search for "poodleface" on YouTube.
  2. See Ric Flair rap.
  3. ROFL

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:08 am

poodleface wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n53CbTMd3Kc

All arguments are solved by keyboard cat.

Edited with Live 8 :D
fuckin LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!1!1!111!!!!1!!!one!!11111!!!1!!!!

I never even watched his video as im in college, cant hear anything but omg

"look at me man, smokin a pipe n shit, yeah ableton sucks"
*enter keybored cat*

poodleface... accept my love!
<3

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:09 am

hoffman2k wrote::lol:

Reminds me of yesterday. I ran into a "pro" like yourself who was hellbent on telling me why Fruity Loops was superior. It really pays to hear these people out. After all, laughing is healthy.

Better make some room in that tummy cause I got a feeling you'll be eating a lot of words soon :wink:
I wouldn't go saying fruityloops is better but I genuinely think fruityloops has a lot more to offer than people give it credit for.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.