Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

nowtime

Re: Features you would like to see in Ableton 9?

Post by nowtime » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:23 pm

How about instruments and effects holding their midi-assignments when you drag them into a set?

How about an innovative reworking of the worlds greatest realtime performance software that brings itself back in line with its original vision? Especially in regards to MEGA-SETS and the realtime needs of musicians moving from song to song.
Life is Good

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 pm

The session recording automation thing, of course

Also - a preset manager that you can flip through on stage, from a controller. So I can move through the presets I play within my set.

A better way of re-organizing arrangements, managing arrangement variations, and creating parallel arrangements (for different destinations)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Surround & quad mixing support.

More support & extended features for un-warped & non-looping clips.

Follow actions when clip ends + an empty field where a time can be entered:
- End + 1 minute
- End + 30 seconds
, etc.
This time field could be represented as 00:00:00 for hours, minutes, seconds.

Multiple chain selectors in racks.

Delay effects with their own independent tap control for tempo independent of the master tempo.

Ability to see both the waveform & the effects in the track the clip is playing in at the same time (simply divide the viewing window in half - vertically &/or horizontally).

Ability to see multiple waveforms of clips at the same time (at least 2 for basic DJing). If I can expand the Spectrum audio effect, then why not use a similar use of the GUI to show more waveforms? There is a lot of Live's GUI going to waste, for example: all those bogus slots above the Return tracks.

Video in Session View.

That will do for now...

poodleface

Post by poodleface » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm

nowtime wrote:How about an innovative reworking of the worlds greatest realtime performance software that brings itself back in line with its original vision? Especially in regards to MEGA-SETS and the realtime needs of musicians moving from song to song.
+1

How about tabs for multiple songs... if you had a collection of live sets in tabs, it would also be nice if the program could somehow figure out how many instances of a particular plugin one would need globally and only keep active what is needed.

Say... you are using a particular soft synth in 5/8 songs... switching from tab to tab it uses the same instance of the plugin in various sets. Since you wouldn't be playing more than one song at a time Live could potentially just switch the parameters when you switched to a different song.

I know I can do this by making a mega-set, but I'd rather just have one session view per song. It would make it massively easier to reconfigure a set. As it stands now, I have to build a new mega-set for every show I do. I don't care if there is a slight delay switching between songs while things are rerouted... it would be a lot better than what I see a lot of now, where there is a clear pause while a performer switches from one set to the next by closing the current set and opening a new one.

The ideal of a seamless performance really only exists for DJs. It would be nice if this was extended.

Granted, this is not a well formed or particularly original idea, but what do you expect... I haven't had my coffee yet.
the_antagonist wrote:video in session view
This would be nice too, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
  1. Search for "poodleface" on YouTube.
  2. See Ric Flair rap.
  3. ROFL

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:48 pm

I don't know what constitutes a "feature", really, cause I often feel that the things I wish for the most are just tiny little
tweaks that really should be implemented in the current version. The midi transposition thing in my sig, for example - it
really is so overdue, and such a simple thing to implement.

What's been enticing me lately, though, is the idea of being able to "scrub" all currently playing clips in session view:
One midi mappable button that makes all playing clips jump backwards according to the global quantization setting. The
button should essentially do the same as clicking in the clip scrub area does, except that it will jump to the closest
beat, so that keeping it pressed will repeat the "jump backwards/forwards" action.

I think that you can accomplish this by setting a loop in Arrangement, creating a track marker at the beginning of the loop
and map a midi button to that marker, but you can't record the resulting audio to individual tracks.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:56 pm

All native plugins replaced by Waves' equivalents in native built-in format. And the upgrade better be free! and everything everyone else wants too!!! Oh, and more presets and racks.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm very happy with things as they are................. 8O :mrgreen:

Bring back the SEVEN of 16 :!: :wink:

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:an internal LFO that can be assigned to anything :D
+1

or how about taking it a step further and have a set of 8 that we can assign to anything, (and i mean anything, including parameters in other vsts.)

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 pm

I sometimes wonder if any of you guys actually make music.

All you seem to do is whinge about shit that you haven't got and you can't do shit
without it.

If I ruled the world.....................etc

:roll:

Z.

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:55 pm

A good sounding DAW :mrgreen:
fe real!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Rinsemeister wrote:I sometimes wonder if any of you guys actually make music.

All you seem to do is whinge about shit that you haven't got and you can't do shit
without it.

Z.
we make music a lot and so we suggest things from our experience.
That's how 90% of the features in Live came to be added - directly from user suggestions.

I have to wonder much more about someone who has no constructive suggestions. Without fresh ideas we would all still be using Steinberg Pro16

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 pm

basic restoration tools...
MacOsX 10.6 MacBookPro 2.33

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Rinsemeister wrote:I sometimes wonder if any of you guys actually make music.

without it.

Z.
we make music a lot and so we suggest things from our experience.
That's how 90% of the features in Live came to be added - directly from user suggestions.

I have to wonder much more about someone who has no constructive suggestions. Without fresh ideas we would all still be using Steinberg Pro16

Yeah, and Creator :?

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Dear Mr. Angstrom,

Let me apologise for my flippant post.

I come from the old tape based analogue studio days. (Yes, I'm an old c"*t). :lol:

I remember when MIDI reared its ugly head and Atari 1040's and S700's were state of the art. :mrgreen:

I took a few years out and when I came back I was like "WTF"! :oops:

Now I consider myself up to speed but generally have no need (or desire) to delve into modular synthesis
or complicated methods of sound design. I do use the tools that the great God Ableton has provided but there is more
than I will ever need.

My problem is that I can spend hours tweaking Operator / Analog and lose my creative flow.

What I would like to suggest is a MIDI /USB brain to CPU processor for direct translation of ideas to music. :wink:

That's my positive input for today.

Cheers,

Z.