Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hacktheplanet

Re: Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm

YEEEEEAH RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE BRO!
TAKE ABLETON DOWN SINGLEHANDEDLY!
WOOOOOOOOOOOO RESIST! RESIST! RESIST!
DEATH TO SOFTWARE COMPANIES!!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I just picked up that he's the ass in poodleface's youtube link
Yeah he's the smug one. Keyboard Cat is the cool one.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Keyboard Cat understands the new groove engine.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Keyboard Cat adds reverb to the letters t and p when he uses them in a song.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Not reading the thread, but I must admit, I got a laugh out of the ableton preset designers rant on that site. I've had some of the same thoughts. As for Live 8 not being worth it though, utter wrongness everywhere on that call.
Professional Shark Jumper.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10 pm

That's some pretty cheesy bowl tokin.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 pm

H20nly wrote:I will take the time to mention that I purchased Fruity Loops Studio 5 Producer Edition years ago. At that time I was offered free upGRADES for life. I now have version 8 and have not dropped any additional clout, however... I had to purchase the upGRADES for life feature. I don't remember but I think it was $75.00 back then.
This is what I wanted to add to the thread, but H2Only beat me to it :D

There is some confusion, caused by the OP in his blog, about FL's upGRADE policy. You can get 'free upGRADES for life' (i.e. if you bought V6 you'll get V&, V8, V9 etc. for free) from Imageline, but you have to pay a one-off fee up front.

When I did this, around about V5 like H2Only, it cost about £35.00 (at the time that would have been about the same as H2Only paid.)

So, the OP is wrong: upGRADES for life are not free for FL Studio... although, the one-off fee for lifetime upGRADES is cheaper than the L8 upgrade alone.

But then, FL Studio pretty much sucks and Live doesn't, so which is better value for money?!?! :D

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 pm

"not worth 189" and "BREAKING NEWS: I just read that the full price of Ableton Suite 8, in a box, is $849. HOLY SHIT. That’s an expensive box."

----------------------------------
Maybe I should have pirated it so I could afford some weed so I can look cool smoking on youtube too? In my old age I just don't know what "hip" is anymore!

Wow. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but what an incredible waste of time on his part with that whole mess of crap about how he's not going to buy an upgrade for 189 and here's why.... blahgblahgblahg

Lordy I'm a fool guys!! I upgraded to the SUITE 8! Guess I'll go fill up the tub with warm water now and slit my wrists. :lol:

I have a feeling this is just a kid trying to impress the ladies by broadcasting his pot smoking ways. You GO lil' guy!

btw: keyboard cat rocked that scene. It was like watching two DJ's duke it out! Cept one was handicapped and slightly tarded. What I couldn't figure out was which one was the real pussy?

poodleface

Post by poodleface » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm

Granted, some of his criticisms are valid, but the criticisms aren't the problem. The problem is that you lose all credibility when you criticize a paid software product if you aren't paying for it. Stir up the hornet's nest and you get Keyboard Cat. :o

But hey... I've been where he is at. Of course, I didn't post to the official forums when I was "evaluating" Live. I hope he goes back to developing tutorials and seriously considers buying the software if it has become indispensable to his approach. Being part of the solution is a lot more fun than being treated like a problem.
  1. Search for "poodleface" on YouTube.
  2. See Ric Flair rap.
  3. ROFL

vanceg

Post by vanceg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:30 am

What is astonishing is that this CWNC person seems to demonstrate a near-complete lack of understanding of how these new features in Live 8 are supposed to function and what they are supposed to achieve. (Example: Looper is presented as a tool for setting the tempo of the song from an audio source...a task which it can accomplish, but is clearly not it's primary purpose).

Also demonstrated here is a complete lack of understanding of the fact that there are a multitude of methods for working in Live... and that Live's user base is much more diverse in their (our) wants and needs, and methods of working than CWNC seems to realizize.

I find it bizarre that someone who is apparently fairly articulate could be so uniformly uninformed and off-base in evaluating the functionality of any product.

CWNC - Inform yourself before you spend all this time on a document like this, or your (potentially useful) evaluations will simply be a waste of time for yourself and others. Perhaps run it by a technically savvy friend first... It's great to see useful critiques of Live's strengths and weaknesses, but this was just...well...kinda pathetic.

Well, I suppose I took the bait too, eh: I spent 7 minutes writing this.
Latptop:
MacBook Pro 2.33, RME Fireface 400, iPad running TouchOSC, VG-99 processor, SoftStep foot pedal (2)

Desktop:
MacPro 3.15Ghz, 8GB RAM, Maudio Profire, Eventide H8000, Eventide Eclipse.

mrdysgo

Post by mrdysgo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:27 am

I feel awful that I am even dignifying this dude with a response...but oh well, I have time. :D

Can you do another video smoking a pipe with a robe on while you tell me how much better Microsoft Paint is than Adobe CS4? That would make my day.

Not that it matters much, for I am too "amateur" to understand your excellent teachings anyway.

teardove

Post by teardove » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:32 am

C (cries)
W (whines)
N (nags)
C (clueless)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 am

While I disagree with much of what was written in this review of Live 8, the author does have some valid points. I don't think comparing FL Studio is necessarily a good comparison either, as it is like comparing apples to igneous rocks. I also think that the author either needs to learn more / take courses or whatever to get the most out of using Live and it's unique workflow, or he should go with something else.

He could have expressed some points more intelligently - then again, some of the ultra fanboyism responses here are no better, some are worse. The author does have some valid points in amongst the ranting.

No software is ever going to be perfect, but it's quite apparent from these forums that Live 8 is not refined to the point of stability and usabilty that many people need. Ranting for and against it is not the smart thing to do.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:04 am

holy christ, 7 pages..

I was just going to chime in to say a quick something but maybe I should read the thread first...

fuck it

(hey, you're the one who started with the potty mouth!!)

dude, go to some meetings. right off the bat this sounds like something that could only be written while drunk as hell. and since I assume it took a while to put this nifty web page together, that would mean that you are drunk as hell A LOT.

?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 am

I'll assume that it's already been noted that this person hasn't even tried clicking the mouse button to create warp markers in live8

I'll get back to reading the thread,

i'm intrigued.

:lol: