Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
longjohns

Re: Why Upgrading to Live 8 is a Waste of Money

Post by longjohns » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 am

ok

skimmed thread

not returning to "blog"

*cries for mankind*

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:55 am

leedsquietman wrote:it is like comparing apples to igneous rocks
+1 for imagery
+2 for "well yeah"

mrdysgo wrote:Can you do another video smoking a pipe with a robe on while you tell me how much better Microsoft Paint is than Adobe CS4? That would make my day.
+1 for imagery
-1 for imagery

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 am

wow.

just wow.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 am

lay of the stoner kid.... you bunch of Pirahnas...

and kid...you should probly lay low...
if this was the real world ...you would have been torn to pieces already...

play him off..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:17 am

that being said...
Live's problems are not the features...
it's the never-ending beta phase..

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:39 am

3dot... wrote:it's the never-ending beta phase..

Its a weird host war. Cubase is constantly a new version, PT 8 feels like it just came out. Live is brand new, ever year or year.5

A company in 2009 must be in constant innovation. Look at what has just happened to GM and Chrysler. For thirty years, they have sold the exact same philosophy. Maybe the cars got a little safer, but still, same engines for the most part.

If at 2009, American cars, were fuel cell, with excellent safety and reliability, they would crushing any other cars still working on oil, or lithium battery gas hybrids, or str8 electrics.

So there you have it. Ableton Live, constantly innovating, but long beta. Same is true for a lot of software companies. A lot!! They are all like this.

Software is a business of constant updates. Always, you can find a new bug. And not everything is Ableton's fault. Really, a lot of the vst's and stuff... Riddled with bugs. Same thing for the operating software, or what about apples infamous," airport wireless," that screw up audio completely....
too many lasers...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 am

j2j wrote:
3dot... wrote:it's the never-ending beta phase..

Its a weird host war. Cubase is constantly a new version, PT 8 feels like it just came out. Live is brand new, ever year or year.5

A company in 2009 must be in constant innovation. Look at what has just happened to GM and Chrysler. For thirty years, they have sold the exact same philosophy. Maybe the cars got a little safer, but still, same engines for the most part.

If at 2009, American cars, were fuel cell, with excellent safety and reliability, they would crushing any other cars still working on oil, or lithium battery gas hybrids, or str8 electrics.

So there you have it. Ableton Live, constantly innovating, but long beta. Same is true for a lot of software companies. A lot!! They are all like this.

Software is a business of constant updates. Always, you can find a new bug. And not everything is Ableton's fault. Really, a lot of the vst's and stuff... Riddled with bugs. Same thing for the operating software, or what about apples infamous," airport wireless," that screw up audio completely....
well...I know software crashes...and cars crash as well...
aside from that I see nothing to compare the auto industry to 'pro' audio software industry...
but if you insist...
I think that keyboard bindings not working is like gas/break pedal in a car not working...
GUI problems... inaccurate speed/rpm values...
and if a car would crash because of bad assembly/design then there's gonna be hell to pay...
not so in the software world...
where users are EXPECTED to be patiently waiting for bugfixes...
(some of which are crippling)

but enough about that...I'm sick of ranting...did that a lot during v7...
if anything ...I have no one to blame but myself ...
:|

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 am

cwnc wrote: I just feel that if you have something to say and can articulate it properly,
Hmm. By liberally sprinkling the word 'fuck' throughout your, erm, essay you are hardly in a position to talk about articulation, are you?

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:40 am

I only started reading your articles after I read in this thread that you made a comparison with Adobe, which made me very curious how you would compare this.

Please don’t compare Ableton Live with Adobe Photoshop! And if you do, please do it correct.

About presets you say:

“They show a professional user “what can be done” with the tool, and”
That’s why Live has multiple presets, which all show something else and together you get a clear idea about what can be done with the different tools.
“They allow a non-professional user to create quick, cheesy graphics for their own purposes (flyers, etc.)”
There are plenty of presets in Ableton to create quick and dirty sounds/tracks in Ableton.

Then you show what brush presets would look like if done by Ableton’s preset designers. Even if you have something specific in mind with the current Adobe preset brushes you will not get very far. And you cannot use them as starting points (9 out of 10 times).

Say for instance I want to create a starry sky in a photo. The way you compare this, it would mean as a starting point I would have to use the star brush from the Photoshop presets, right! Well, good luck creating a convincing starry sky with that as a starting point! Even a beginner in Photoshop will not learn much from using this preset, about the true strength of this tool, to create convincing stars.

Adobe does exactly the same thing with the presets as Ableton does!

Oh yeah:

“I took the time to review each new feature of Live 8,…
… Automation of internal track parameters, for example. What’s the point of grouping tracks if you have to keep opening the group again and again to access automation?”

Maybe if you asked if this is possible on this forum, instead of complaining about it in your blog, somebody would have told you to just right-click on the group track, which would have saved you a lot of time and frustration!

I like people who are passionate about what they do, but please keep it real!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:37 pm

The part where he says: "ZOOM DISPLAY-
I actually like this feature. Yes, it really is a “feature”. I wish Windows XP would do this by itself. I wouldn’t pay $189 for it though."

Not only is this "feature" in XP, it's been a "feature" since Windows 98. They call it "magnifier" in case you're reading this OP. You can find it under Accessories, Accessibility, Magnifier in XP and Accessories, Ease of use in Vista.

I'm looking forward to you "why upgrading to the latest version of Windows is a waste of money" article. Or better yet, if you really want to be punished write an article about how upgrading to Mac Snow Leopard (10.6) would be a waste of money! :lol:

You should listen to Vanceg:
"CWNC - Inform yourself before you spend all this time on a document like this, or your (potentially useful) evaluations will simply be a waste of time for yourself and others. Perhaps run it by a technically savvy friend first... It's great to see useful critiques of Live's strengths and weaknesses, but this was just...well...kinda pathetic."

THAT was some good advice.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm

importedearthman wrote: I'm looking forward to you "why upgrading to the latest version of Windows is a waste of money" article.
Or its even handed, balanced follow up "Microsoft employees can kiss my ball sack"

importedearthman

Post by importedearthman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 pm

ikeaboy wrote: Or its even handed, balanced follow up "Microsoft employees can kiss my ball sack"
:lol: That was funny! but I always thought... "kiss my hairy beanbag" is more effective. Makes them think before they realize they've been insulted. :mrgreen:

madlab

Post by madlab » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Poster wrote:well prinz charles, you're wrong on so many counts I don't know where to begin with, so I don't..

but seriously, puffing a pipe in a demo vid? :? :lol:
http://abletoniseasy.com/?cat=4
@ 0:32
Ahahaha, that certainly makes him a more powerful and soulful musician, DJ, or human being !!!!
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

This rant is stupid even to someone who agrees to a point. There was nothing for me in the latest Live update. Well maybe with the exception of max msp integration. However, I feel like I can currently do anything I want with the standalone version of Max 5. To Ableton's credit, all updates were common feature requests. Most people were very happy with the updates and I'm sure the bugs will be eliminated soon. The only thing I fear for Ableton is the prospect of another DAW introducing a session view. While Ableton has been playing catchup with other Daws it has mostly abandoned its original purpose of being a live performance tool. Then again Live will have Max and I think that will be hard to beat. I'm just waiting to see how much this will cost for current Max users.

tgwotr

Post by tgwotr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:43 pm

no seriously, kids, ableton's great for arranging, editing, and a new method of dj'ing, but actually making tracks with the built in instruments? uh, no? live 7 is great, obviously, but live 8 has a completely tacky feeling, like, it's trying WAY too hard to be something it's not.

...i mean, you can't really expect people to like the instruments included, can you?

my advice: if you're not into wasting the money getting an older version of live, just get some analog hardware and pro tools... or if you're dj'ing, and you don't want to blow some money on a new mac and ableton, go with cdj's.

it's common sense, folks!