Ableton 8 suite factory content-better then suite 7?worthIt?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
db2

Ableton 8 suite factory content-better then suite 7?worthIt?

Post by db2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi,

I have a quick question for users of live 7 suite who have upgraded to live 8 suite. How is this 48 gigs of factory content? I was extremely underwhelmed by the live suite 7 factory content. The drum machines and such were helpful but all the samples and instruments sounded tin'y and weak to me. I come from a logic background and logic's factory content is absolutely unbelievable in comparison.

So, any thoughts on the new factory content? Also, if I don't upgrade to suite I assume I still continue to get support for the instruments and such that I got from live 7? Are there updates available to some of these instruments and am I already qualified for them?

Any and all information is much appreciated!

loquat

Re: Ableton 8 suite factory content-better then suite 7?worthIt?

Post by loquat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:04 pm

I wasn't too impressed with the Live 7 content. It felt like there were a lot of great instruments but no sound design to take advantage of them. Live 8 is a lot better. I'm very happy with the sounds (primarily synth-based sounds) in Live 8 Suite. I have never used Logic though so I can't compare.

db2

Post by db2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:12 pm

I mean, logic's set of instruments, both synthesized and sampled, represent a very rich sounding collection of every imaginable organic instrument, and the synthesized sounds are very full, deep, and rich as well. When I got the live 7 suite all the instrument patches and sampled instruments sounded very one dimensional and like they were recorded with a basic mic or created with a basic roland box synth.

I'm just wondering, if I was completely underwhelmed with the live 7 suite content would I be wise to skip getting the 8 suite? I'm waiting to confirm the price difference. Since I already owned suite 7, if its like a $40 I'll probably just get it, but honestly I'm more concerned about disc space. I dont want to install 48 gigs of content to find out its mostly crap!

I love ableton, but the factory content is pretty lacking in quality imo.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:36 pm

way WAY worth it!!

db2

Post by db2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 pm

nebulae wrote:way WAY worth it!!
Why do you say? What did you think of the 7 suite content?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Let's put it this way...content for the Library has been sub-par till L8. I didn't get the L7 suite because I didn't understand how powerful it was. With L8, I completely get why you would want the suite, and that's because they showed off the power with a fantastic soundset. I'm loving the textures, richness, and usability of the L8 library.

db2

Post by db2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 pm

nebulae wrote:Let's put it this way...content for the Library has been sub-par till L8. I didn't get the L7 suite because I didn't understand how powerful it was. With L8, I completely get why you would want the suite, and that's because they showed off the power with a fantastic soundset. I'm loving the textures, richness, and usability of the L8 library.
Would you say that there are rich emulations of real instruments, or mostly synthesized sounds? I have plenty of instruments I'm happy with for synth sounds. But when I go in to write something besides techno I like to have some basic realistic sounding instruments. In Logic you get like dozens of variations upon dozens of brands of instruments in the library. Its truly a complete production suite. If only I could use more then the exs stuff inside live.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 pm

^ aah, good question. I have EIC2, and that has some natural instruments, but I doubt they'd be as extensive as Logic.

I was more referring to the electronic sounds.

ark

Post by ark » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:41 pm

In addition to lost more content, the big difference between the Live 7 and Live 8 factory content is that in 8, most of the sounds do not have any FX. This makes them sound less impressive on first hearing, but is much more useful in practice because it makes it easier to combine the sound of your choice with the FX of your choice.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 pm

ark wrote:in 8, most of the sounds do not have any FX
This depends on which presets you pick. If you go into Instrument Racks, then you get synths and FX all nicely laid out with logical Macros. If you then want the "parts" then the Library is nicely laid out so that the synths used in the rack have the same named preset without FX.

So my suggestion would be to browse the Instrument racks based on TYPE of sound you're looking for (like Bass, or Pad, etc)...once you find something, then do a Search in your library for the same named preset, and then work with the parts and adjust to suit your own taste.