APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
phirewall

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by phirewall » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 am

Is there supposed to be a manual with the APC40? All that came with mine was a quick start guide. It's pretty intuitive so it might not be needed, but it makes me think I'm missing something..

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:58 am

ctx wrote:Stop spamming your crap website
No doubt man, if it's that important to you, put a link to it in your signature and just partake in the normal discussion. If people are interested, they'll click it on their own. Between here and the ALDJ site, your spamming is getting to be a bit much and likely doing more to keep people away than attract them.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:59 am

phirewall wrote:Is there supposed to be a manual with the APC40? All that came with mine was a quick start guide. It's pretty intuitive so it might not be needed, but it makes me think I'm missing something..
No idea to be honest, it's so intuitive it just does what the labels on the device say. I honestly never even checked to see if there was a manual, and I LIKE reading my gear manuals :)
Tarekith

weblogik

Post by weblogik » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:03 am

Tarekith wrote:
phirewall wrote:Is there supposed to be a manual with the APC40? All that came with mine was a quick start guide. It's pretty intuitive so it might not be needed, but it makes me think I'm missing something..
No idea to be honest, it's so intuitive it just does what the labels on the device say. I honestly never even checked to see if there was a manual, and I LIKE reading my gear manuals :)
Tarekith, i "read you" lots on teh abletonlivedj.com site, i know you are pretty crafty, any idea about my question above? i'll repaste

I have an issue i cant' figure out, when i go to map my my apc40 i can remap all controls except for the 4 bansk on top that are assigned by default to pans and sends, Live, doenst seem to pick up on my apc movements are reassing em...
Im trying to map EQ3 on audio track 1 on the top row horizontal, and EQ3 on Audio track 2 on the bottom row , on bank a, if that makes a difference? All other controls respond though.
Any thoughts?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 am

Yeah,I had the same issue at first. :) Make sure you not only select the APC as your Control Surface in live's midi pref's, but also check the remote in and remote out options for the APC's midi ports too.
Tarekith

Illum

Post by Illum » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am

apc manual is in the live 8 manual 8)
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

GlobalSubSonics

Post by GlobalSubSonics » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am

Yes, that's the one. I mainly used it for my MacBook Pro but it seems to be very stable/rock solid for APC40 too. :-)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:10 pm

It doesn't wobble at all?
Tarekith

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks for the confirmation GSS...

I was wondering about wobbling too, I'm pretty full-on with playing the controller!
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

blueprint

Post by blueprint » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 pm

I just bought one off ebay, if it wobbles, my SL25 or my Macbook Pro has a new home. That's what I like about the mStand, that it's very versatile...

GlobalSubSonics

Post by GlobalSubSonics » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:03 am

Tarekith wrote:It doesn't wobble at all?
Yes, it is really rock-solid. The stand is made of thick alu and will not butch. It's is not cheap though.

blueprint

Post by blueprint » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:04 pm

GlobalSubSonics wrote:
Tarekith wrote:It doesn't wobble at all?
Yes, it is really rock-solid. The stand is made of thick alu and will not butch. It's is not cheap though.
just bought mine new off ebay for $34 shipped. expensive but nothing outrageous

GlobalSubSonics

Post by GlobalSubSonics » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Is it just me or what?
I really get goosebumps when seeing the official APC demo at ableton.com :)

Fantastic demo!! If that doesn't convince people ...

BTW ... yes ... it's THAT great ! ;)

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 am

Am loving the APC but there's a couple of things which I would really love to do directly from the unit rather than a computer keyboard.

I don't think these features are available for Midi mapping (without some sort of key stroke to midi controller program, which would have to be booted up every time I used Live... I'm on OS X btw).

Basically, I would like to be able to show/hide group tracks by using the APC only, which at the moment is only available using the -/+ keyboard keys. The Group Track Title Bar has to be highlighted for this to work and the only way to navigate to this top layer (as far as I can see) is by using the keyboard cursor keys. The APC has no way of getting to the Track Title Bars itself. Even if you have the Title bars highlighted from start of play, if you use any device controls the focus is shifted away from the Title Bars and Groups cannot be open and closed. Unless I'm missing a key command to shift focus the only way to highlight the Track Title Bars again is to use the mouse.

If there was some way to make these functions (Group Tracks Show/Hide and Shift Focus to Track Title Bar) permanently assignable to the APC it would be fantastic. Maybe M4L will solve this but this would be my main reason for owning it and would be overkill. Maybe Bome (when it is past beta stage for OS X) might help.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

sigmatibet

Post by sigmatibet » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:28 pm

I got it, I love it!
perfect for my use, very well built and thought out.
Playing with it makes live performance and production a joy!
I had an Idea, that would be very useful for my workflow, especially in the live side:
There is this button whose function is STOP ALL CLIPS, and that I find quite useless, when dangerous.
What I'd like to implement instead of it is a sort of HOME BUTTON.
What is HOME BUTTON? It is a button that resets all volumes, pans, eqs and fxx plugins to the original position all in one move.
Imagine being in a very deep, weird, wild build-up and being able to come to the strict sound when the kick comes back, just pushing one button!
I want it!
Now, I don't think this is possible simply by programming midi control mapping. I guess this is possible manipulating Max for Live.
Possible?
Anyone?