jomox vs elektron?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kodama

Re: jomox vs elektron?

Post by Kodama » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:08 pm

New MFB sounds fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n00Ia2wKdyg

Also don't forget the ever-fun ER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3JAVKaMDsI
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:14 pm

hey pix nice sound there

well i dont really think the jomox sounds like a clone of the rolands,,i had both 808 and 909 and yes,,i think there is a way to emulate the sounds of the rolands if that is what u want,,but i think the jomox have their own character

of course,,the elektron have way more fx capabilities for complement a beat,,way more programming that the jomox

mmmm

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 pm

yo! the ER series has an amazing 'built in groove' i got the ER-1 and EA-1, but the sounds... are not that versatile... on the ER-1
i mainly kept them for recording midi patterns into the software sequencer, because of the special groove those maschines have...
*** Image GAFM ***

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:26 pm

...all jomox has is a good bass drum, the snare isn't even worth it, etc... + the UI is a nightmare.

I agree that the MD sound really digital but it has a lot of punch. Unfortunately it's very expensive and I won't buy one... on the other hand I have a Monomachine :)

Elektron simply has made the all-time best tr-style sequencer. Best groovebox ever? maybe.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Really the ESX is the best bang for the buck hardware drum machine for versatility.

The LFO can be made into a spare envelope to control the pitch "kick" effect on raw waves.

Plus, you've got endless variety via samples...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:33 pm

WaveRider wrote:...all jomox has is a good bass drum, the snare isn't even worth it, etc... + the UI is a nightmare.
what about the elektron combined with the jomox mbase??? will be this a better combo? having the jomox bassdrum and the elektron fx??

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Kodama wrote:Really the ESX is the best bang for the buck hardware drum machine for versatility.

The LFO can be made into a spare envelope to control the pitch "kick" effect on raw waves.

Plus, you've got endless variety via samples...
this i can see, because you are not stuck with just the sounds it comes with... plus the UI on the korgs is superb.
*** Image GAFM ***

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Zky wrote:
WaveRider wrote:...all jomox has is a good bass drum, the snare isn't even worth it, etc... + the UI is a nightmare.
what about the elektron combined with the jomox mbase??? will be this a better combo? having the jomox bassdrum and the elektron fx??
After watching these videos, I would say hell yes!

OT - Since this thread seems to be populated with knowledgable drum machine fanatics, I would love to hear any irrelevant opinions about the possible upcoming Linn-Smith box.
Life is Good

pix

Post by pix » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Zky wrote:hey pix nice sound there

well i dont really think the jomox sounds like a clone of the rolands,,i had both 808 and 909 and yes,,i think there is a way to emulate the sounds of the rolands if that is what u want,,but i think the jomox have their own character

of course,,the elektron have way more fx capabilities for complement a beat,,way more programming that the jomox

mmmm

yeah, also think of the jomox as a studio tool. I'm sure you can take it out but the MD is a better tool to play live. also, not all of the patterns parameters are saved with it. Things like filter routings and master volume of each track etc are independent of the pattern so it's tough to recall you patterns exactly as you programmed them once you change things.

I think the difference is like between vintage synths and modern ones. you have a different sound at the expense of more features. But the jomox usually creates depth in the mix, it has presence. the MD you keep adding elements and usually end up witha busy mix but when you mix it with other sources it often sounds very thin.

I think it's a great choice for ambient, IDM, minimal techno, stuff with very soft and detailed drums/fx. But for stuff with stronger beats, the jomox is by far the best option imo.

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 pm

also with the jomox u can load your own samples via midi sample dump..seems that the jomox goes better for main drums machine?

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 pm

I have an Jomox 09 TokTok and an UW MKI

IMO for simple drums the Jomox has more presence (I wouldn't say better, though I prefer it).
But, the RAM machine on the MD is what really makes it an unique instrument (IMO). I rarely use anything on the MD except the RAM and ROM machines.
On another note, I know this is a "vs." thread but... if you are just looking for sounds and not a seq. I find the vermona drm to be very capable if you are after analog drum sounds, it can do TR stuff, and more.

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 pm

of course,,vermona sounds great :)

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am

nowtime wrote:I would love to hear any irrelevant opinions about the possible upcoming Linn-Smith box.

Well no one can say anything since we don't even have a current mockup of what it might look like.

They changed the design few times, then scrapped the last design and told everyone to wait some more.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:34 am

Yeah that DSI / Linn thing is gonna be a while by the looks of things . . . I wouldn't wait as they have had no new info up for, like, forever now. .

I also think that the UI on the MD compared to Ableton is a joke.

i know it's hardware and probably very good and all that. However somehting that i can do in less than a minute in Live takes a fair bit longer on the MD.

I really, really don't rate it and am probably going to sell mine in the near future. i thought it was alright untill i started transferring stuff I had done on it over the last year or so into Live and was astounded by how awful the drums sounded. . .

Go and listen to them both before you buy em.
And if you are thinking about an M bass or whatever, why not just get one, sample the hell out of it and then run the sample live. The XOX boxes are very limited and if you had a bit of time and patience you could get a usable sampkle set from them.

I am still surprised that UA haven't done a XOX box for the UAD1 yet. They would sell bucketloads of those cards. Still we have been waiting for the UAD fatso for a year or so. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

Kind of an odd comparison.

MD and 808/909 are very different. Yes there is some cross over, but if you really want 808/909 sounds, then you want the real thing, or very well made samples, or one of the better VST emulations around. Same with the MD, except there arnt that many useful samples of the thing except the pack someone posted here, not are there any viable emulations. However you can quite easily reproduce alot of MD madness in Live using live's in-the-box instruments and fx, however you wont get the hands on control of a real MD, which IMHO is the main point of the MD - its a performance instrument more than just a program and forget drum machine.

As someone said, in some context the MD can sound really shit - digital, harsh etc. Its a low-fi device - low sample depth (12 bit?), though I dont know what its internal process sample rate and bit depth is - but I do know that you cannot get a clean sound out of it, whether using samples or its internal synths, and if what you are doing doesnt suits its sounds, then your screwed.

As for the jomox (or 808/909 hardware etc), then you can get clean sounds out of them and the kicks are just something else - IMHO, the jomox will work with a much broader rnage of production styles and genres than the MD, but the MD is more interesting and fun to play with.

If you want the MD type sound - then yes - its excellent, the interface for programming and real time control is very intuitive and quick to use. The only thing I wish it had was proper mappable velocity so you didnt have to fake it all the time. Just remember that loading samples into it will not give you a nice clean original sample sound as with say an MPC, or a Live drum rack, however its options for doing 'wierd shit' and real time control and mangling puts it in a league of its own, with only something like a v-synth to keep it company. BTW - MD + V-Synth makes for a fun combo :)

My choice of a hardware drum machine would probably be a hardware version of redrum from reason - maybe the DSI contraption will come close if it ever gets finished.

One final comment about the MD - its a timepit - expect to loose you self with the thing for hours without actually getting much productive done :)
Nothing to see here - move along!