GIVE YOUR MP3's

Share your tracks with other users.
hurlingdervish

GIVE YOUR MP3's

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:54 pm

nobody cares about previewing tracks in myspace or in your little flash player...

you got them to listen to it once, but what about the next time they want to listen?

give an mp3 so they can show their friends if it is good and bump it in their car.

do you really think someone is going to take credit for your tracks?

if so, remember this: your the only one with the ableton file and the ability to make more of the good ish.

make the world a better place. give an mp3.

:D

tlennon

Re: GIVE YOUR MP3's

Post by tlennon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 am

You make an interesting point Hurling. Cheers :mrgreen: !
Terrence Lennon

Dombleton

Post by Dombleton » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:48 am

People who wont give you their mp3 think they are way better than they actually are!
They think they already have a record deal.

som

Post by som » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:16 pm

my stuff can ALWAYS be downloaded.
http://www.soundcloud.com/s_o_m

I have written a book (Sci-Fi Thriller, only German): https://der-kristall.de

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

true. I like to give away the mp3... I like to get the mp3, you can listen at leisure. and if its good I will play it out.

spiral

Post by spiral » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 am

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:36 am

hurlingdervish wrote:nobody cares about previewing tracks in myspace or in your little flash player...
I care! I want to listen to stuff quickly. I don't want to have to download an mp3 just to find out if I like it. I want streaming preview too. If I don't like it after a couple of minutes, I want to move on to the next new thing. If it's interesting, I'll bookmark it. If it's great, I'll download it if available, if not, I'll ask the composer where I can download/buy it. I've probably listened to a 100 or more tracks on this forum, but there are only about a dozen tracks that I have as mp3 and that I've kept.
hurlingdervish wrote: you got them to listen to it once, but what about the next time they want to listen?

give an mp3 so they can show their friends if it is good and bump it in their car.

do you really think someone is going to take credit for your tracks?

if so, remember this: your the only one with the ableton file and the ability to make more of the good ish.

make the world a better place. give an mp3.

:D
...but I agree with that too! Stream to preview and have a download link is the best option. :D

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:56 pm

@ 80

yes i agree but i didnt feel like typing all that :D

dansim

Post by dansim » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 pm

ill my stuff can be downloaded straight off soundcloud at 320kbps :D

http://soundcloud.com/dansim

mescalin

Post by mescalin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 pm

It's not the only motive that you wouldn't want out a track as mp3 just because you think you are better than you are or you think that people will steal it (if they want to steal it they will, they'll just copy the audio into their DAW as easy as sample digging on youtube).

Personally though I've never yet been happy with a track enough that I'd want people playing it in their car :) everything is always a work in progress therefore i tend to prefer not to put mp3s there for that reason

Still if it annoys people that they can't download the mp3 then fair enough, people should make the mp3 available

Oh and if you really are paranoid about people stealing your stuff, just make sure there's no dry audio tracks in it :)

Ableton 8, NI Massive, Max 4 Live, other stuff

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm

wrong! if its good its good. it may not be finished but people may still want to listen to it. why deprive them of that pleasure.. they may forget to check back with you.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 pm

the_antagonist wrote:wrong! if its good its good. it may not be finished but people may still want to listen to it. why deprive them of that pleasure.. they may forget to check back with you.
i know i always do, its like "who made that beat i liked last month? ah whatever..."

i can understand if you are on a label and they dont want you releasing things for free

thats fair game, thats your contract

spiral

Post by spiral » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:10 am

hurlingdervish wrote:
the_antagonist wrote:
i can understand if you are on a label and they dont want you releasing things for free

thats fair game, thats your contract
then dont put those ones on the net
also ones on label might be mastered as opposed to the ones that are free

smili

Post by smili » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:26 am

I agree totally - but I'm not trying to make a living at this either. I really just use music as an outlet and it's nice to know that people download my stuff and listen to it. (Just like I download their stuff and listen to it at work)

I get a kick out of the occasional email from somebody who says they listen to my stuff while working out at the gym.

And you are right. I know folks aren't going to buy my stuff, so "make the world a better place - give an mp3" might make a good bumper sticker. :D