Remix and Mash-up Questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nsinclair

Remix and Mash-up Questions

Post by nsinclair » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:57 am

I have a few questions about remixing / mashing pre-recorded tracks. Let's say I made an instrumental, and want to drop an acapella over it. What would be the best way to bring it in so the timing matches up as well as possible. My problem now is this: If I have Ableton auto warp for me, the sound quality gets messed up. However, if I don't have Ableton automatically do it for me, it doesn't have bars for me to reference where the beats are. Finally, how can I make it so Ableton doesn't try to automatically figure out the BPM of the acapella, because it often gives the wrong BPM (especially for acapellas) and then it seems impossible to match the two tracks. Sorry if the questions seem unclear, I'm a little new to Ableton and digital music (played guitar, bass, and drums my whole life, but not much computer based music). Also, does anyone have any good tips of places to find instrumentals and acapellas? Thanks a lot.

hurlingdervish

Re: Remix and Mash-up Questions

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:24 am

"warp straight"

try to tap out the tempo while listening in windows media player

then set the tempo on the file and make sure theres no warp points

i used to get buried and warp points and the more you add, the more confusing it gets

so try to align it after getting the tempo inputted and you should be ok with maybe a handful of warps on 1.64.96 that kind of thing

nsinclair

Re: Remix and Mash-up Questions

Post by nsinclair » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:44 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:"warp straight"

try to tap out the tempo while listening in windows media player

then set the tempo on the file and make sure theres no warp points

i used to get buried and warp points and the more you add, the more confusing it gets

so try to align it after getting the tempo inputted and you should be ok with maybe a handful of warps on 1.64.96 that kind of thing
Thanks a lot. I figured it out.