choose what type of music you make, or just make it

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SimonPHC

Re: choose what type of music you make, or just make it

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
SimonPHC wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:in fact I didn't make anything for a hell of a long time until I recently started smoking pot. but even then I often just stare blankly at the TV eating everything in the house.
Live 8 with share might be of some help to you, now pass me the reefer.
I'm too broke to share :) f*ing music gear stole all my money
me too. :x plus I'm pushing the limits (or is it developers being too lazy to optimize for older systems?) of my current laptop with 7 already...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm too broke to share f*ing music gear stole all my money
But you just said you're not using it! :wink:

Now puff puff pass... its my 420th post.

I agree with you that music is social. I get in a rut pretty bad if I don't have someone to work with. I love making music but I doubt myself so much that I don't even look forward to it when I work alone for too long. When someone comes along that wants to make some music and has a little motivation I suddenly am dedicted. Problem is... people are people

Its your home town... Don't you know anybody that plays an instrument or something? Maybe you're secretly yurning to make something so different that even you won't recognize it.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 pm

H20nly wrote:Its your home town... Don't you know anybody that plays an instrument or something? Maybe you're secretly yurning to make something so different that even you won't recognize it.
nah I moved away from here 10 years ago almost, anyone here I knew is long gone.

I've suspected that before (the yearning thing) the funny thing is that the thought scared me. isn't it funny how you can be scared of your own desires like that? I've thought before that maybe I'd enjoy playing guitar more and starting a rock band again and the thought scared me cause it conflicts with my current identity or something.

interestingly enough a really old friend of mine who grew up in this town is moving back here for a few months while he makes a transition to a city near by so it'll be cool to see an old face and stop spending all my time alone.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Johnisfaster wrote: it'll be cool to see an old face and stop spending all my time alone.
no doubt

Johnisfaster wrote:I've suspected that before (the yearning thing) the funny thing is that the thought scared me. isn't it funny how you can be scared of your own desires like that? I've thought before that maybe I'd enjoy playing guitar more and starting a rock band again and the thought scared me cause it conflicts with my current identity or something.
Dude go for it. Seriously. Not so much the rock band necessarily, but try and see how you can fit that guitar into your stuff. All these genres and sub genres are boxes. Break out. Make your own. Some people hear some of the elements that I/we've thrown on tracks and are like WHAT!? then they won't stop talking about how cool it is to "mix so many styles up like that". You can't please all the people so make sure to take care of you. We need some new genres anyway... some of the old ones are stale.

And that goes for the rest of you too!

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 am

before i started dicking with music, i never listened to (whatever the fuck you call it) *electronic* music - rap, rock, pop, and country mostly. i guess i wanted to make rap and rock tunes, or sumthin like that. i always enjoyed some *electronic-y instrumentals* on various songs, and i reckon rap, for the most part is *electronic-y*. went to a few 'parties' while younger, and it did not click with me in the slightest. once, i forced myself to stay till the goddamn'd music stopped. it did, and continued to echo in my head. i was fucking furious at the hours long song that hardly changed. drugs/fakeshit, and drugged up idiots didn't help much either :lol: so i was kinda meh at *electronic* music.

then i started dicking with music. found myself making *electronic* music. when i started fucking with live, i all but stopped making any rap or rock tunes. most my time was spent fucking around with shit. i imagine the younger you start to learn software, and the length of time you spend going thru the process leads to proficiency in computer music. let's face it, for ease of audio recording, noting beats a standalone recorder. computer based recording is a whole-nuther ballpark. i discovered gearlust, and over analyzing, and learning... too many options. i figured i liked making *electronic* music, surely there's *electronic* music i would like to hear. no kidding, huh?!?!

sooo... now i've been listening to electronic music a bit, and writing tunes that i want to write again, and just going with the flow. i have enough buttons and knobs and time with live that i've found myself working significantly faster, and being more productive all around. my gearlust is all but sated, i would still like a nice powerful computer and a comfy chair, but i don't need anything else. so yeah, i choose and i just.

the only thing pot does, is make me take forever typing this drivel, which most of the time i delete anyway :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 am

^ totally. except I've realized I need to stop starting songs with synths because that's not where my mojo is at, it's in da guitar. I realized recently that I wasted 10 years fucking around with synths when I should have put them second or fourth. I blame Gerhard Behles for this and will take ze appropriate action.

dude, we should finish what we were making before, a nice evil chugga chugga Dcease'd out version of that tune. dunno if you caught that I kinda finished it or whatever.
http://soundcloud.com/tone-deft/eephlat

I'll have time next weekend to put some 'chugga chugga' guitar on it like we had going.

my problem is that I can't compose, will work on that.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:55 am

For the most part I just make whatever comes out and figure out what band/project it fits with later.

However I can say that sometimes trying hard to make something that sounds like something specific, and failing at it... is a great way to make something original.

For me anyway, failing at trying to copy something usually results in something unique. In that sense, failure is good.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:55 am

tempus3r wrote:In that sense, failure is good.
if you try to fail and succeed, did you fail?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

moodles

Post by moodles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:26 am

A few random thoughts:

If the goal is to record dance music and get it played by other DJs, you may need to focus on a particular style, otherwise go with the flow.

I disagree with the James Blunt example where he doesn't make music that he would listen to. I struggled for a long time making music that was decent but didn't sound like stuff that I wanted to listen to. It made me very depressed.

Ever since getting Live earlier this year, I've finally been able to make tracks that I actually enjoy hearing and I am much happier. However, I stick to a pretty narrow genre of music - having that kind of restriction helps me to focus on getting stuff done.

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:37 am

Tone Deft wrote:dunno if you caught that I kinda finished it or whatever.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=906359#p906359

:lol:

if you want, i could upload to the share site all the crap i recorded and such...

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 am

moodles wrote:I disagree with the James Blunt example where he doesn't make music that he would listen to. I struggled for a long time making music that was decent but didn't sound like stuff that I wanted to listen to. It made me very depressed.
I'm with you on that. But sometimes doing something different to what you enjoy can be good, even though I don't particularly enjoy rock music any more, it is nice to play in a band and have a different environment and approach.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 am

dcease wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:dunno if you caught that I kinda finished it or whatever.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=906359#p906359

:lol:

if you want, i could upload to the share site all the crap i recorded and such...
DOH!!!!

let's see what happens, do it!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 am

My .02,

When I was learning to write and produce, I went with the free flow of my thoughts which allowed me to introduce and expose my senses to all the possibilities. Now, as a paid producer and remixer, my client's have specific expectations. I write in a variety of styles, Electro, House, Deep house, Tribal, Dark Tribal, Circuit Tribal. Each one has a specific sound, arrangement, tempo and audience. So, I write with a specific focus.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:22 am

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:05 am

:twisted: :twisted:

i feel allot of my better songs are failures at trying to nail a genre.

well except last time i tried to write a house track
i got really bored and slapped a grain delay on the master track and recorded it while i tweaked the hell out of it.
i then uploaded it to the internet hehe

http://www.looperman.com/player.php?tid=16207