Anyone have an Akai MPK49 and APC40?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Anyone have an Akai MPK49 and APC40?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00 am

Just curious, if you were to place them side by side, are they about the same depth (ie, front to back measurement)? What about height? Bonus points if you can post a pic of the two side by side for me.

Thanks!

McQ714

Re: Anyone have an Akai MPK49 and APC40?

Post by McQ714 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 am

i only have the apc40 but i was just looking at the product video for the mpk25 from namm and it looks like the apc and mpk are close in depth but the mpk looks to be twice the height of the apc, which makes sense because of it's keys. the two look pretty nice together though. if you were to build a custom case for the two and stack the foam underneath the apc40 up slightly higher than the mpk, it would look sick! project time.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:52 am

Yeah, that's pretty much my goal, use the APC and MPK25 side by side, just need to make sure I have room on my table.

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:02 am

Funny you should ask...or I guess I should say, funny I happened to look on the forum. Just got back from the store and am setting up my MPK25 with my APC40 into my setup so I thought I'd pause to shoot you the pic you crave. The APC40 IS half the depth but the MPK25 is about 1.5" longer but .5" thinner than the APC40.
Ciao

p.s. Well, the problem is I don't know how to post a picture on the forum - if that's even possible...

Allan A.Live

Post by Allan A.Live » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 am

I stacked the MPK on a wooden board, and the apc also on a board with the double height, the left place there will come a second APC next week...The APC is only little deeper than the MPK.... but the height is approx 2 x the APC....

Rgs
Last edited by Allan A.Live on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 am

Allan A.Live wrote:Image

I stacked the MPK on a wooden board, and the apc also on a board with the double height, the left place there will come a second APC next week...The APC is only little deeper than the MPK....

Rgs
Wow! A SECOND APC?? Please explain...thanks!

Allan A.Live

Post by Allan A.Live » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 am

No much to explain, the best workflow for me in years, so i took the decission to buy a second one when recieving my holiday-money next week... :mrgreen: hope that one is available till next week, my next live PA is on the 18th of july, there i would like to play with two of them....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks Allan!

Fattofatto, where did you find an MPK25? No where I've checked has them in stock yet.

fattofatto

Post by fattofatto » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:Thanks Allan!

Fattofatto, where did you find an MPK25? No where I've checked has them in stock yet.
I got mine at The Guitar Center in Hollywood, CA...

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 am

I must say that the MPK25 and APC look like one sick combo!

Hmm... me's thinking of a big clear out to get this set up :wink: !!

Hd

flashy12

Post by flashy12 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:51 pm

there ya go.. AKAI TRIPLE FUN APC40 MPK49 & XR20 WITH LIVE 8 OF COURSE

THE MPK IS ON A FOLDING KEYBOARD STAND EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE TABLE, I'M LEFT HANDED SO KEYBOARD MOUSE LEFT WORKS FOR ME

http://WWW.BGREMIXES.COM

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/DJBRIANGTHEPRIMESPINISTER

http://WWW.BRIANGMUSIC.COM

I FOUND THIS THREAD THOUGH WHILE LOOKING TO SEE IF ANYBODY ELSE'S APC HAS PITCHED A FIT WITH ANOTHER USB MIDI DEVICE HOOKED UP , IT'S LIKE IT DOESNT WANT TO AUTOMAP IF THE MPK IS SET UP

DAMMIT..... ANYBODY ELSE HAS THIS ISSUE?
http://www.BGBEATS.COM
"Make That Sound In Your Head,a Recorded Reality"

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:02 pm

i've got a conflict between the APC and my evolution x-session uc-17... they knobs use the same midi cc's. haven't really figured out if it's because the two units are on the same usb hub. not really annoying because i don't really need the uc-17 anymore... kinda redundant now. looks like i'll be putting it away or selling it. anyone interested???

DJ/Derrida

Post by DJ/Derrida » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 am

I've got both, and they work extremely well together. For example, I'll be triggering clips and adjusting track levels and effects with the APC while using the MPK to handle different synths and textures that I want to create in real time (I don't use the pads beyond triggering one-shots and vocal samples from drum rack...they aren't very intuitive for actual beat creation).

However, sometimes I do run into mapping issues like mcQ714 mentioned (i.e., a fader on the MPK will function the same as the master fader on the APC even when I've assigned it to something else), and these problems happen at random, which is annoying.
http://soundcloud.com/derrida
Psychedelic, ambient, hip hop, electronica, noise
Ableton Live 8, Reason 4, Audacity, Serato Itch, Akai MPK49 & APC40, Vestax VCI-300, Teac PX-500 Turntable

Apoplexia Music

Post by Apoplexia Music » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:14 am

DJ/Derrida wrote:I've got both, and they work extremely well together. For example, I'll be triggering clips and adjusting track levels and effects with the APC while using the MPK to handle different synths and textures that I want to create in real time (I don't use the pads beyond triggering one-shots and vocal samples from drum rack...they aren't very intuitive for actual beat creation).

However, sometimes I do run into mapping issues like mcQ714 mentioned (i.e., a fader on the MPK will function the same as the master fader on the APC even when I've assigned it to something else), and these problems happen at random, which is annoying.
i have an MPK49 and bought an APC40 last week, and i some times have conflicts with a fader on my MPK "possessing" the master fader on my APC and vice-versa! i think it may be because the names of the MIDI CCs are the same?

i have both set up on a 2-tier keyboard stand (APC over MPK)...it reminds me of the exo-skeleton from Aliens....great combo for maximum control of instruments, effects and the overall mix!!!