novation automap 3.4?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

novation automap 3.4?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 pm

EDIT: Anyone tried the new 3.3 beta?
EDIT: 3.4 seems to have fixed things

3.1 - Terrible update from Novation.

Now when I'm adjusting controls on the SL, I'll randomly see parameters jump to a different position for separate controls that are nearby (usually the controls right next to the one I'm adjusting will jump). On top of the that, now the values on the LCD screens no longer change if you move 2 controls at the same time.

They fixed a few things but at the same time made it unusable, which means I'll have to stick with 3.0. Frustrating. I encourage everyone else to email Novation support if you have these issues as well.
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Android Bishop

Re: Anyone tried the new crappy novation automap 3.1 update?

Post by Android Bishop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 pm

done and done
isnt it still in beta? I sent in bug reports for this exact same issue a ton of times and I never got any feedback about it, which is rare cause usually they communicate with me when I send in any type of bug report

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:39 pm

No it's not beta anymore. They just released 3.1 officially. And it still has this ridiculous bug with parameters jumping around.

I received replies from them saying they couldn't reproduce the problem and asked for details and my midi setup. I sent a screenshot of my midi preferences in ableton and I got another reply asking for a sysex dump from my SL which I sent but the email didn't get through. I think the beta email got disconnected once the beta testing stopped. So now I have to write into Novation and repeat the whole damn thing.
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 pm

ouch.

thanks for the heads up to avoid it.

with the APC I'm actually thinking of ditching the SL. I kinda prefer notes on tape over those LCD displays.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:ouch.

thanks for the heads up to avoid it.

with the APC I'm actually thinking of ditching the SL. I kinda prefer notes on tape over those LCD displays.
To be clear, this only automap universal 3.1 (plug-in automap template 38). So it wouldn't affect you tone since I don't think you use that right? This update doesn't affect the Novation firmware or ableton template.

Once my PAC40 gets here I definitely won't be using the ableton template 40 anymore, but automap universal for plug-ins is becoming invaluable for all my synths.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:24 pm

yep. I just stick with template 40. for my flow I like old school MIDI mapping onto the BCR. flipping through pages on the SL is kinda hokey, IMO. the labels get truncated and it's not that pretty of a display, small too. it's great for what it is but I see room for that thing to evolve. really I'd love to see a box with more rows or LCD labeled encoders.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58 pm

I tried the betas and didn't like all the new scaling stuff seemed total overkill and it was doing something weird to my old automaps so I reverted back to version 3.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:yep. I just stick with template 40. for my flow I like old school MIDI mapping onto the BCR. flipping through pages on the SL is kinda hokey, IMO. the labels get truncated and it's not that pretty of a display, small too. it's great for what it is but I see room for that thing to evolve. really I'd love to see a box with more rows or LCD labeled encoders.
But you can edit the labels to be whatever you want. It's much more clear once you find a system of naming parameters consistently between plug-ins. You should try some of the templates I uploaded a while ago. I did all the work for you. I'm going to re-upload with consistent naming though soon, plus some more templates.

Anyways.. 3.1 sucks for me (on a mac at least). Some people are actually finding it way more stable!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 pm

djsynchro wrote:I tried the betas and didn't like all the new scaling stuff seemed total overkill and it was doing something weird to my old automaps so I reverted back to version 3.
What was it doing to your old automaps? Sudden jumps in parameters you're not touching while tweaking a different parameter?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:07 pm

GRB- thanks for the heads up, I found your post
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=910686#p910686
you did one for Sylenth, thanks! I lerves me that VST. I made a template for it but after I saved it and brought it into a new set automap only saw the old way to control it. I started writing a post on what went down but got fed up preferred to spend the time making choons.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

db2

Post by db2 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 pm

I haven't updated since automap 2 as I don't use my sl all that time. So 3 is still a totally stable update, just 3.1 is still shaky? I may update this week.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
djsynchro wrote:I tried the betas and didn't like all the new scaling stuff seemed total overkill and it was doing something weird to my old automaps so I reverted back to version 3.
What was it doing to your old automaps? Sudden jumps in parameters you're not touching while tweaking a different parameter?
I'm on a Nocturn by th eway I had some buttons pairs increment/decrement a parameter (nice for things that have a range of parameters like a filter type chooser) and it got messed up by 3.1

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:29 pm

db2 wrote:I haven't updated since automap 2 as I don't use my sl all that time. So 3 is still a totally stable update, just 3.1 is still shaky? I may update this week.
Well it depends who you ask. I find 3.0 very stable. Others have found 3.0 to be unstable and 3.1 to be stable. I'm sure 3.1 is stable, but these parameter jumps I can't live with. And it's pretty damn annoying that the LCD screen values don't change as you're moving more than one control at a time.
Tone Deft wrote:GRB- thanks for the heads up, I found your post
viewtopic.php?p=910686#p910686
you did one for Sylenth, thanks! I lerves me that VST. I made a template for it but after I saved it and brought it into a new set automap only saw the old way to control it. I started writing a post on what went down but got fed up preferred to spend the time making choons.
Perhaps you didn't hit "Set as Default" on your SL before closing it? That's how you make it open again that way. I also back them up by saving the automap file in the automap client software.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:On top of the that, now the values on the LCD screens no longer change if you move 2 controls at the same time.
Thats the main issue I'm having. Version 3.1 pro, remote sl os 4.1.12.
Also the display on my sl lags behind the controls by about 1/2 a second, and doesn't always update when you move the controls on the nocturn. Don't get the parameter jumps though.
All in all not great, you'd think that they could get it working right by now, especially since they charge you extra to use it with both the sl and nocturn. Going to mail them in the morning.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:48 am

twisted-space wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:On top of the that, now the values on the LCD screens no longer change if you move 2 controls at the same time.
Thats the main issue I'm having. Version 3.1 pro, remote sl os 4.1.12.
Also the display on my sl lags behind the controls by about 1/2 a second, and doesn't always update when you move the controls on the nocturn. Don't get the parameter jumps though.
All in all not great, you'd think that they could get it working right by now, especially since they charge you extra to use it with both the sl and nocturn. Going to mail them in the morning.
I'm noticing that I only get the parameter jumps with about half of my synths. Some dont' do it and some only seldomly. You should do some tests to see if it happens, otherwise you could be tweaking something and without you knowing, suddenly another parameter jumps to a different position. For example you're adding a little longer decay to an envelope and all of a sudden you don't notice that the attack has suddenly jumped to max. Where the fuck did the sound go? Ones I know that do it for sure are sylenth1, oddity and the TAL synths (Bassline, Elec7ro). Just go through all the parameters moving them up and down and watch to see if some other jumps.