The ENVELOPE challenge!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
RCUS

The ENVELOPE challenge!

Post by RCUS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 pm

I can figure out many a problem with my wonderful Abelton Live, but this one is stumping me:

Sooo, I have a drum rack loaded with about 40 samples corresponding to the 40 pads on my Korg Nanopad (4 scenes x 10 samples per scene). I have a clip in session view that houses a custom drawn envelope for each sample. In case you didn't know, for a drum rack you are able to choose a separate envelope for EACH sample for about a zillion parameters. This lets me launch the envelop like a clip whenever I want it to affect a sample in my drum rack.

The problem is, when I hot-swap the sample in the drum rack, I lose the envelope settings for that particular sample. So again, say you have "sample 1" loaded in the D#7 slot of the drum rack, and that sample is given an envelope assignment. I then hot-swap "sample 1" with "sample 2" and I lose the envelope assignment as soon as the new sample is loaded. Kind of annoying since the only alternative is to constantly have to copy paste the envelope after you swap it.

Any suggestions or alternatives? I am really REALLY trying to keep it all in a drum rack and be able to hot-swap on the fly; and also really REALLY trying to keep my envelopes in the clip slots so I can freely launch them, create follow actions etc... but alternatives are welcomed. I am particularyly looking at envelopes for transpose at the moment, but a solution that would work for all the same parameters as are available in the regular clip slot would be best!

forge

Re: The ENVELOPE challenge!

Post by forge » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 am

you can replace the sample in Si/ampler without affecting the settings by using the hotswap on the simpler itself (waveform area) instead of the drum rack pad

RCUS

Re: The ENVELOPE challenge!

Post by RCUS » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 am

forge wrote:you can replace the sample in Si/ampler without affecting the settings by using the hotswap on the simpler itself (waveform area) instead of the drum rack pad
LOL! forge you WIN at Abelton. i'm just going to put this dunce cap on and sit in the corner for a while man. feeling pretty stupid on this one, sheesh.

thanks alot forge!