General help with live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elliotbartz

General help with live

Post by elliotbartz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:04 am

Hi guys,

I, like many, have bought a copy of ableton so I can make my own electronic music! I had seen how straight forward it was on through videos and reviews of the product, but when I finally got it and opened it up, I was overwhelmed by the amount of different things I can use. Take the audio effects for example. There are so many to choose from!

Since I have no background in mixing this music, I have no idea what any of these do or how to use them to manipulate sound.

My question is such: Is there any place where I can learn exactly what everything does, rather than just the general interface supplemented by randomly changing things to see how the sound varies....

Any help would be really appreciated!

Elliot B.

Sales Dude McBoob

Re: General help with live

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 am

Hi Elliot. I wouldn't worry about what things do so much. The amount of effort it would take to read up on all of that would be tremendous, and it would all be hands-off, so you wouldn't actually get anything out of it.

Just try to make music. All of the presets + content in Live's browser can actually be a HUGE distraction, and ultimately keep you from making tunes.

Open up the built-in Lessons in live (Help > Lessons). Take them all. Read each sentence very closely, there is a lot of information in them. Slowly going through all of the built-in lessons takes some time. Dedicate yourself to that, then commit to following your creativity. It takes a really long time to become comfortable will all things audio - and you can never tap it and learn it all.

Making music comes first, everything else is noise.

elliotbartz

Re: General help with live

Post by elliotbartz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:08 am

Thank you so much for the advice.