Any news on a stable live 8 yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ringo kid f

Any news on a stable live 8 yet?

Post by ringo kid f » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Still on 8.0.3, due to the very bad reviews of the 8.0.4.
But the 8.0.3 is really starting to get on me nerves and the crashes seems to increase.
I tryed to talk to support but they advice me to upgrade to 8.0.4, apparently that´s the best they can do.

Anyone heard of release date for 8.0.5?
Any beta testers on the forum who can ease me, telling me that everything´s gonna be all right with 8.0.5?

Anyone?.....

RKF
Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Live 9
Elektron OT & A4
OP-1
Shruthi-1
Hardware +

sijarvis

Re: Any news on a stable live 8 yet?

Post by sijarvis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm

ringo kid f wrote:Still on 8.0.3, due to the very bad reviews of the 8.0.4.
But the 8.0.3 is really starting to get on me nerves and the crashes seems to increase.
I tryed to talk to support but they advice me to upgrade to 8.0.4, apparently that´s the best they can do.

Anyone heard of release date for 8.0.5?
Any beta testers on the forum who can ease me, telling me that everything´s gonna be all right with 8.0.5?

Anyone?.....

RKF
Good luck in your plight. How long ago did you buy Live 8? It must be very frustrating not to be able to use it without running into problems.

Ableton really have to sort out their software better before release. Nobody has called for perfection but some words of reassurance from Ableton as to how things are advancing would do a lot for their reputation. I'm not so sure if they're bothered by this. They haven't said anything about it.

ringo kid f

Post by ringo kid f » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:45 pm

I got it when it was released and yes very frustrating indeed.
Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Live 9
Elektron OT & A4
OP-1
Shruthi-1
Hardware +

sijarvis

Post by sijarvis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:52 pm

ringo kid f wrote:I got it when it was released and yes very frustrating indeed.
Perhaps you should write them a private letter telling them how you feel. They should really offer you a part refund, seeing as you're still beta testing it for them after having paid.

I don't think you're the only one though.

How would you feel if they released a buggy Live 9 and Live 8 still wasn't stable?

dom

Post by dom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:02 pm

from another thread:
sijarvis wrote: 100% agree. I'm not updating my Live license for a while having read in these forums that it's not particularly good with Vista yet.
This is both interesting as you both seem to base your decision solely on the forum chatter instead of own experiences.

Normally we play it like this: You install our latest version, use it and are happy.

Sometimes there will be a problem on specific setups, you report the problem and we're happy to work on it until it is solved.
That's not only our job and what pays our bills - we even like to do it as Live is also our favourite sequencer!

But not using it, not being able to actually name or report a problem that stops you from working other than forum chatter - and joining the chatter about Live being "so unstable" - sounds a bit questionable to me.
The biggest problem with it: we can't help you at all answering postings like this, issues you don't experience for yourself or even know if they are true.

My suggestion: Give the latest version a try, be it a 0.3-0.4 update or the demo of a new full version, put it under pressure and see if it's something for you. Chance are great that you'll be just as happy as those thousands of people that are using it despite the few guys that always rant on the forum.
If you find a problem: Bummer, report it to us, go back to the last version that works for you and do real rants about real existing problems on the forum - until we fixed it.

But ranting based on other rants you even can't judge to be valid at all is more or less counterproductive regarding the community and the product.

Best,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:51 pm

+1 dom

The tech support AND the customer care are Number1.
They are not there to make the landscape pretty, it's useful and You can use it.

Send Them an email with the best description of your problem. If you got a crash report and your logfile it's even better!

I'm happy with the Abes' and Be grateful for the task they do from monday to friday, every week.

Oh and go for the beta, maybe :wink:

sijarvis

Post by sijarvis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:02 pm

dom wrote:
from another thread:
sijarvis wrote: 100% agree. I'm not updating my Live license for a while having read in these forums that it's not particularly good with Vista yet.
This is both interesting as you both seem to base your decision solely on the forum chatter instead of own experiences.

Normally we play it like this: You install our latest version, use it and are happy.

Sometimes there will be a problem on specific setups, you report the problem and we're happy to work on it until it is solved.
That's not only our job and what pays our bills - we even like to do it as Live is also our favourite sequencer!

But not using it, not being able to actually name or report a problem that stops you from working other than forum chatter - and joining the chatter about Live being "so unstable" - sounds a bit questionable to me.
The biggest problem with it: we can't help you at all answering postings like this, issues you don't experience for yourself or even know if they are true.

My suggestion: Give the latest version a try, be it a 0.3-0.4 update or the demo of a new full version, put it under pressure and see if it's something for you. Chance are great that you'll be just as happy as those thousands of people that are using it despite the few guys that always rant on the forum.
If you find a problem: Bummer, report it to us, go back to the last version that works for you and do real rants about real existing problems on the forum - until we fixed it.

But ranting based on other rants you even can't judge to be valid at all is more or less counterproductive regarding the community and the product.

Best,
Dom
Hey Dom,

Yeah I can see that but it doesn't change the fact that I was still experiencing crashes when you released Live 8, so it's not entirely based on other people's experience.

You must get really fed up with people like me, complaining away, when you're coding night and day, but for me to understand you, you must also understand me. I don't want to shell out money for something when it's knowingly not ready. Any letters of disquiet you read on here are a direct reflection on your company, so whilst you may not enjoy reading them, I don't think the user is to blame for not being happy. Do you?

Yes, I know about the 14 day free trial but what happens if it's crashing my system? What do I do with the pieces i've been working on? I can't open them in 7 can I? Plus, do I get another free 14 day trial to use on the next post beta beta? and again for the beta after that should everything still not be right?

So although I understand where you're coming from, you yourself wouldn't be happy to shell out money and still be a beta tester. Had you kept the beta going longer, I believe you could have stabilised Live for everyone still reporting problems today, or at least enough for them to be happy.

Was your decision to release 8 early based on your pre-planned trade shows? Finance vs readiness?

Perhaps Ableton should slow down their upgrades, it seems that the yearly upgrade thing is just too much to get right. Funnily enough, I was equally as scathing of the Props slow upgrade cycle and lack of features but now I tend to think they're on the right path, well to a certain extent at least.

I want to upgrade straight to the suite but am unwilling to part with the money, especially if it crashes my system, so a 14 day trial is only good if it works. What if it takes me longer than 2 weeks to find bugs that crash my system? I've then shelled out for software that's not capable of doing what I want. Do you really want to hear my rants if that happened?

I feel sorry for ringo kid f, he's bought your upgrade when it came out and still he's not happy with it.

If you want to avoid posts from people like myself, then please, spend longer in beta....it really isn't doing you any favours.

I'm sure you've got loads of great ideas for Live 9, just please, make sure we can use them before you start taking money for it.

Oh, so as not to end this on a negative (i'm actually quite positive in real life and very happy with Live 7), I do like the fact that you're chatting to me in person. As a company you have a good support system, something other companies fall flat on and you've coded some amazing tools.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to chat to me. I hope we understand each other a little better.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05 pm

it used to be people asking how to tune their computers to make a DAW work better. now they rant away on teh interweb how software was released too early.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sijarvis

Post by sijarvis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it used to be people asking how to tune their computers to make a DAW work better. now they rant away on teh interweb how software was released too early.

I was still experiencing crashes when they stopped beta testing. Don't expect me to be opening my wallet in that kind of situation.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I don't care what you do. if you bought it and it doesn't work the LOL is on you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:11 pm

sijarvis wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:it used to be people asking how to tune their computers to make a DAW work better. now they rant away on teh interweb how software was released too early.

I was still experiencing crashes when they stopped beta testing. Don't expect me to be opening my wallet in that kind of situation.
So you decided to rant instead without giving clues to what crashed and how and wetter Ableton already fixed it in the dozens of versions since you last tested Live.

Smart move!

sijarvis

Post by sijarvis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
sijarvis wrote:

So you decided to rant instead without giving clues to what crashed and how and wetter Ableton already fixed it in the dozens of versions since you last tested Live.

Smart move!
Would it be better if I downloaded the 14 day trial, not find any bugs until after I paid for it, then spent the next "X" months complaining about crashes when I tried execute particular functions?

That may make you happy "at least he's complaining about things that he's paid for" but I doubt it would make me happy.

Smart move for who?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:25 pm

sijarvis wrote:Would it be better if I downloaded the 14 day trial, not find any bugs until after I paid for it, then spent the next "X" months complaining about crashes when I tried execute particular functions?

That may make you happy "at least he's complaining about things that he's paid for" but I doubt it would make me happy.

Smart move for who?
So you admit a bug could appear after 14 days of abuse by a pro user like yourself.
How do you reckon a bug like that gets anticipated?
If a bug is able to slip by you, how the hell is Ableton going to catch it?

Seriously, name one piece of software that never required a bugfix.
And Reason doesn't count, because otherwise Reason 3.0.4 would have never existed.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Seriously, name one piece of software that never required a bugfix.
Audiomulch 1.0 !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm still using Live version 1 cuz it's the MOSTEST stable.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent