Warping : How to preserve the feel/groove/flow

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
K-Swiss

Warping : How to preserve the feel/groove/flow

Post by K-Swiss » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 am

I know its not an exact science, but how do you preserve the groove of a warp track? I find that if I use too many warp markers it is too constrained.

And how do you know if you are off [against the metronome], or if there is just a heavily pronounced groove?

longjohns

Re: Warping : How to preserve the feel/groove/flow

Post by longjohns » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 am

K-Swiss wrote:And how do you know if you are off [against the metronome], or if there is just a heavily pronounced groove?
whether it sounds good or not?

K-Swiss

Post by K-Swiss » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:00 am

I thought a good method might be to lock it in tight and constrain it. Then apply a groove later once it is locked in nicely?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 am

^^ then you replace the original groove with a different one.

to keep the original groove you would have to work with very little warp markers, like only every 4 or 8 bars. Also you would need to listen closely to the original track to find out if the 1st warp marker sits on the beeat or needs to be a little bit ahead or beyond the 1.

Reggae-drummers for example tend to be a little ahead of the 1. Or was it beyond?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:07 pm

If I'm doing something where I'm actually using a full bar or more of a sample (drums), I lock beat 1 (kick), and usually only snares on beats 2 and 4. (that's if we're talking 4/4)

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:50 pm

If you're on Live 8, could you warp the track straight, exract the groove (of the whole song if you like) and reapply the groove?

Not sure if you'd need to extract the groove before or after warping. I'm still on Live 7, so don't really know how it works, but seems like it could be doable.

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Willyum wrote:If I'm doing something where I'm actually using a full bar or more of a sample (drums), I lock beat 1 (kick), and usually only snares on beats 2 and 4. (that's if we're talking 4/4)
If you're warping anything that grooves, hip-hop especially, I would avoid putting warp markers anywhere but the 1, and especially don't put them on the 2 and 4. Those snares are usually set a little after the beat to give it a laid-back feel and if you put your markers right on them they'll basically get moved up and you really don't want that.

I usually put warp markers on the first beat of the measure, and only put them in other places when I can't get it to warp properly using a marker on the first beat.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:13 pm

^ the crazy part about warping is studying the groove as you go. warping old soul/funk tunes always trips me out, you can watch the band speed up and slow down, move ahead and behind the beat. Curtis Mayfield is fun for this, no metronome in his studios!

it's in the ear of the mouse holder.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

K-Swiss

Post by K-Swiss » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 am

Yeah, I'm trying to educate myself on grooves. I've watched some tutorials, but anyone know of some good music theory-like resources, that break it down into the one-and-two-and- kind of thing?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:20 am

warp 100 songs in a variety of styles then come back and ask questions.

DO WORK SON!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

K-Swiss

Post by K-Swiss » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:40 am

No worries Tone Deft Im warping.