Any news on a stable live 8 yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rinsemeister

Re: Any news on a stable live 8 yet?

Post by Rinsemeister » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Jekblad, behave yourself.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:05 pm

chapelier fou wrote:
Seriously, name one piece of software that never required a bugfix.
Audiomulch 1.0 !
Right, so I take it people are going nuts with rants over 2.0.1 which just fixed some critical bugs. :wink:

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:44 pm

dom wrote:
ringo kid f wrote:Still on 8.0.3, due to the very bad reviews of the 8.0.4.
from another thread:
sijarvis wrote: 100% agree. I'm not updating my Live license for a while having read in these forums that it's not particularly good with Vista yet.
This is both interesting as you both seem to base your decision solely on the forum chatter instead of own experiences.

Normally we play it like this: You install our latest version, use it and are happy.

Sometimes there will be a problem on specific setups, you report the problem and we're happy to work on it until it is solved.
That's not only our job and what pays our bills - we even like to do it as Live is also our favourite sequencer!

But not using it, not being able to actually name or report a problem that stops you from working other than forum chatter - and joining the chatter about Live being "so unstable" - sounds a bit questionable to me.
The biggest problem with it: we can't help you at all answering postings like this, issues you don't experience for yourself or even know if they are true.

My suggestion: Give the latest version a try, be it a 0.3-0.4 update or the demo of a new full version, put it under pressure and see if it's something for you. Chance are great that you'll be just as happy as those thousands of people that are using it despite the few guys that always rant on the forum.
If you find a problem: Bummer, report it to us, go back to the last version that works for you and do real rants about real existing problems on the forum - until we fixed it.

But ranting based on other rants you even can't judge to be valid at all is more or less counterproductive regarding the community and the product.

Best,
Dom
Is it correct to say that ableton does not give much credence to forum chatter?.... Only with individuals is it? hmm.

I'm sure many are willing to give 8 a try, but only after we see some more positive or less negative chatter from "trusted" users on this forum, because what abes doesn't have is an unlimited amount of bug reports from many of us. Patiently waiting and watching the board is a trusted source if you know some of the fine characters here. You, get to tighten up 8, and we can begin what hopefully will be a not so painful bug report stage. This is reasonable and to be expected. Live "is" maturing, yes? I for one am excited that 8 will be ready for a look very soon.

But, if Live 8 ends up not being right for some who have older versions they groove with, it will be because of the interrupted workflow and not because they don't like what 8 is. The name says LIVE and is up to v8, which has a lot of responsibility along with the balls to have such a name and to be that mature. It implies a familiar standard regardless of where you put the line or where only the happy customers put it for you.

cheers

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Is it correct to say that ableton does not give much credence to forum chatter?.... Only with individuals is it? hmm.

I'm sure many are willing to give 8 a try, but only after we see some more positive or less negative chatter from "trusted" users on this forum, because what abes doesn't have is an unlimited amount of bug reports from many of us. Patiently waiting and watching the board is a trusted source if you know some of the fine characters here. You, get to tighten up 8, and we can begin what hopefully will be a not so painful bug report stage. This is reasonable and to be expected. Live "is" maturing, yes? I for one am excited that 8 will be ready for a look very soon.

But, if Live 8 ends up not being right for some who have older versions they groove with, it will be because of the interrupted workflow and not because they don't like what 8 is. The name says LIVE and is up to v8, which has a lot of responsibility along with the balls to have such a name and to be that mature. It implies a familiar standard regardless of where you put the line or where only the happy customers put it for you.

cheers
*** Image GAFM ***

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm reading this and I agree with BOTH sides of the argument. However, I think the key consideration here is that its a product that is for sale. I have the Live 7 Suite and am completely satisfied with that product. Even if I had the money ready to shell out for the Live 8 Suite what I have read regarding issues would cause me to put that credit card away in the anticipation of smoother sailing - like I said I am completely satisfied with 7.

Some people’s attitudes say something along the lines of "well it works for me so you must be the fool" I think thats both condescending and naïve. The title of the thread: Any news on a stable live 8 yet? Its a reasonable question.

Going "go team go" works for many people in many aspects of life from politics to religion to automobiles but when it comes time to check out at the register who really wants to buy something that works most of the way or most of the time? People are pouring the heart and souls (or at least their time) into creating music. When all the troubleshooting with this or that is done its my DAW that I want to count on the most. Ultimately when paying 500-1000 dollars on a piece of software (no matter how kick ass it is supposed to be) thats a lot of money and in that price range I beleive most people expect a finished product. So even forum chatter about an unfinished product should make someone nervous. Its their music (aka their baby) and their wallets that are being put at risk. Those are 2 things that, anyone here should be able to agree, are worth defending.

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Jumped on the train with 8.0.3. (I NEVER buy the first release of ANY software or hardware). Found a little glitch with my Korg MicroKontrol (bank switching would not work). Reported it. They fixed it in 8.0.4. No crashes so far. I am a happy chap.

astromass

Post by astromass » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:08 am

solid as a rock here, mates
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:29 am

i've been using 8.0.4 for the last 5 days and it is solid.

I'm glad!

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am

dom dom dom dominator

my live keeps me up all night and refuses to cook my breakfast. This is an outrage!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 am

I had 8.03 running 4 days in a row on an exhibition with 9 channels of midi devices and drumracks and a couple of effectracks, with several dozens of midi assignments and lots of people tweaking those randomly all the time.

It did not crash one time.

The first amplifier that we used blew after 24 hours and had to be replaced, though. But this was hardly live's fault

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 pm

L8 since 8.0.3 here.
Everything works as it should, maybe a little more demanding on CPU & RAM for newest instruments but I can't call it unstable...

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Just as solid as 7 over here, too. Out of the people I know personally, currently using 8 in production, the majority is running it stable after the recent updates.

Summing up my thoughts here...

Naturally there are many problems, as the people who are filing bug reports aren't making the stuff up. At the same time, it's clearly working for so many people and is already being used in so many serious projects as we speak, we are at a point where it should be officially for sale (instead of repeatedly claiming it's "too early"). The 14 day tryout is enough to put the software through its paces and find out whether it works for you or not.

And if you still have critical testing to do after those 14 days, I'm quite sure a friendly e-mail to Ableton is all that is needed to work something out :wink:

If the only reason not to test it personally for at least those 14 days, stalling, waving your hands around and doing nothing about it, is "what about the sets I've done during the 14 days if I find the software unstable?" then in my opinion you aren't serious enough about knowing whether this tool works for you in the context of your musical career/hobby or not. The benefit of demoing a set of tools of this magnitude before purchasing, be it Live or anything else, should be just obvious.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:46 pm

H20nly wrote:I'm reading this and I agree with BOTH sides of the argument. However, I think the key consideration here is that its a product that is for sale. I have the Live 7 Suite and am completely satisfied with that product. Even if I had the money ready to shell out for the Live 8 Suite what I have read regarding issues would cause me to put that credit card away in the anticipation of smoother sailing - like I said I am completely satisfied with 7.

Some people’s attitudes say something along the lines of "well it works for me so you must be the fool" I think thats both condescending and naïve. The title of the thread: Any news on a stable live 8 yet? Its a reasonable question.

Going "go team go" works for many people in many aspects of life from politics to religion to automobiles but when it comes time to check out at the register who really wants to buy something that works most of the way or most of the time? People are pouring the heart and souls (or at least their time) into creating music. When all the troubleshooting with this or that is done its my DAW that I want to count on the most. Ultimately when paying 500-1000 dollars on a piece of software (no matter how kick ass it is supposed to be) thats a lot of money and in that price range I beleive most people expect a finished product. So even forum chatter about an unfinished product should make someone nervous. Its their music (aka their baby) and their wallets that are being put at risk. Those are 2 things that, anyone here should be able to agree, are worth defending.
Wow! Now this is an undeniably intelligent post. GREATLY conveyed H20nly.

This has been my experience for what it's worth. I purchased Live 5 and 6 consecutively. I skipped 7 because of the EXACT same reasons you described above. Eventually 7 became the most sturdy, tried, and proved version of Live yet. 8 will assuredly be what 7 is presently very shortly. Nothing new within that basic progression. Here is the thing. I purchased Live 8 Suite because of two real reasons. The first was the fact that it was a KILLER deal when upgrading from 6 because all I had at that time were the indigenous Live rudimentary instruments included with 6 and no Ableton additionals whatsoever. SCHAWING!!!

This is the biggy H20nly, there has been a COMPLETE (I mean from the ground up) internal change in Live's architecture. What we create in 6/7 is NOT audibly the same in 8. Nor will it ever be again. Live 8 is extremely important and as a consumer I was MORE than willing to continue to use 6 (primarily) on my laptop for Live performance and use 8 (primarily) in the studio/desktop realm.

Facing facts, 8 is the DAW platform on which Ableton's future resides. Ableton's future is an, at this time, incomprehensibly complex amalgam of Cycling74 and the Ableton R&D team, all sailing under one flag, both working with HUNDREDS of cross soft/hard applications. The moves they are presently engaged in are extremely broad spectrum in that the internal program architecture has to facilitate this new direction. So if there has ever been a logical need for customer loyalty and patience, the time is now. The level of these present dynamic changes within Live is like nothing prior and will result in something that is functionally like nothing on the market presently. I think one of Ableton's only problems is perhaps too great a sense of humility. They are used to catching everyone by surprise with all the detracting cards in their hands when they exclaim "rummy!" in the market place. I believe by virtue of the simple fact that this is such a consuming paradigm shift for them in terms of research and development, that they really have not had time to vocalize and expound on what are the mind blowing GREAT things to come. That's really never been their style, and believe me, when it is time for "show and tell" Ableton are going to blow more than just a few minds at some convention. Still, in all this, IMO they are doing a WONDERFUL job of supporting their present product, Live 8.

Ableton will attest (via templates/bug reports) to the fact that I am about as brutal, demanding and deranged a Live user and experimenter as one can be. They have never once turned a deaf ear to me and all my eccentricities. The fact is that currently, I would officially have to state emphatically that 8.0.4 is extremely solid. It's not shaky in the least. I can honestly state, and this is NOT to detract from anyone else claiming differently, that of the very few bugs that have personally resulted in crashes and system dysfunction, Ableton has fixed every single issue I have reported. The biggest issue that I personally had turned out to be a contemporary motherboard bios default that was not even Ableton specific. They solved that one for me too.

My advise is that if you're completely new to Ableton, work with them and stop attempting to bury your novice skill level and understanding with the "bitchy wheel gets the bug fix grease first" mentality. Communicate, and all will be resolved QUICKLY. I assure you.

To those doing with 7, what I did with 6, be well and jam on. But for cripe's sake, take a look at the big picture. Do a little research and understand that there is presently more going on behind the scenes at Ableton than could be imagined. Please don't base todays bitch fit on yesterday's software experience. If you know anything about software development within the consumer realm, you KNOW how quickly this stuff moves along. The same can be stated with respect to hardware. Yes, 8's CPU footprint is bigger, so what? That is the simple nature of growth. All the DAWs out there like Cubase that are running straight up 64bit platforms that are 10times less imaginative than Live, also require monster machines to get the upper edge from. When pushing the envelope, Live is presently maxing out the Window's based 32bit framework capacity it's designed within, so if you are looking to get nutz, your machine should assuredly reflect that understanding. It's also simply doing a GREAT deal more behind the scenes than 6 or 7 ever could and this is for reasons not yet made fully known.

Yesterday, both with respect to application and experience, is NEVER a safe place to hedge your bets with respect to software development. Stick with today and tomorrow unless you just want more of yesterday. There is certainly nothing wrong with yesterday, but that's 6 and 7 and we can't expect a company who's success is dependent on tomorrow to reside in yesterday. Not logical IMO.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:11 pm

live 8 is stable for me and i use it a pretty much everyday. '

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o