AKAI APC 40 Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stapum

AKAI APC 40 Question

Post by stapum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I have this question and i hope someone can help me on this matter:

Lets say i have 2 channels (A and B), and on each channel i have 5 clips.

I'm playing:

clip 1 on channel A
clip 3 on channel B

(i'm not playing scenes! imagine i'm DJing)

Everytime i press the track selection button on the APC i should be getting focus on the clip playing on the selected track right?
Instead of focusing the clip in the selected scene.

Lets say i'm focusing clip 3 on channel B (or in the 3rd scene) and i want to know if the clip 1 i'm playing on channel A is ending, by pressing track selection i should see the playing clip but instead i'm focusing the clip 3 Channel A.

I hope to have made myself clear... lets see if someone can help me on this.

Thanks
stapum

McQ714

Re: AKAI APC 40 Question

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 pm

i know what you mean, but that's just the way it is. you can either click on the clip you want to see with your mouse or you can map a knob to scroll through the scenes. i mapped the "cue volume" knob to do just that. i didn't need use that knob otherwise. in midi map mode, towards the right side of the screen, there should be a feature to choose "scene selection". click it and turn whatever knob on the APC you want to control it with.

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 pm

i completely agree ...i thought the selection was already there....but when i enabled select on launch? nothing please fix this in an update guys its important i need to see the clips after selecting and using a mouse just to do that is kinna annoying especially since i only have to touch the laptop for that reason.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 pm

don't change it, that's how it's been since I've been using Live 3. n00bs just need to learn the software.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stapum

Post by stapum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:53 pm

I had to edit this message because after all it doesn't work as i was thinking... sorry guys... my mistake! it works but only if the clips are in the same scene, otherwise you only see the clip on the selected scene even if it's not the one playing. :(
Last edited by stapum on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:55 pm

props for taking the time to find that. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

stapum

Post by stapum » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:58 am

Problem solved!!! :D Now i can share the solution with you guys...

All you need to do is:

1: configure one of the encoders on program bank 2 to select scene, to so just activate midi mapping in program bank 2(shift + device on/off) and in the scene row (bellow the stop all clips button) map the value to right of the up and down arrows.
2. press the track selection button to show the track palying

Than by pressing the track selection buttons you can navigate up or down with the scene encoder you just configured.
Thats all folks :)

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:47 am

stapum wrote:Problem solved!!! :D Now i can share the solution with you guys...

All you need to do is:

1: configure one of the encoders on program bank 2 to select scene, to so just activate midi mapping in program bank 2(shift + device on/off) and in the scene row (bellow the stop all clips button) map the value to right of the up and down arrows.
2. press the track selection button to show the track palying

Than by pressing the track selection buttons you can navigate up or down with the scene encoder you just configured.
Thats all folks :)

cool fix, i was doing this allready but using my novation to do the selection it would be nice if it was done automatically...atleast as an option.

Tone deft it was that way before because most controllers for ableton only browsed a row at a time with the apc40 now out i think there should be an option to do it automatically. If the creaters of ableton dont think so i guess we wont see it but i hope thats not the case.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

MrH

Post by MrH » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:22 pm

I agree. An option to see the details of any playing clip while selecting tracks would be good.
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:22 pm

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116459

i am trying to get something done about this.
td did you really just drop n00b

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:38 pm

sacredgeometry wrote:Tone deft it was that way before because most controllers for ableton only browsed a row at a time with the apc40 now out i think there should be an option to do it automatically. If the creaters of ableton dont think so i guess we wont see it but i hope thats not the case.

peace

brian
my stance on this is that Live has always been very 'scene-centric' when it comes to where the software is focused, that's how it's taught me how to work, how I've adapted my thinking around it.

thinking about it further, this request strike me as being more live performance oriented, forget being locked to scenes, be more open and flexible. changing it could be confusing but screw it, they changed the warp mode completely after 7 years.

it's a change from how Live has fundamentally behaved, maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. I dropped the n00b thing because it's one of those things you get used to after a while, maybe we don't need to.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 pm

well said td

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:31 am

Tone Deft wrote:
sacredgeometry wrote:Tone deft it was that way before because most controllers for ableton only browsed a row at a time with the apc40 now out i think there should be an option to do it automatically. If the creaters of ableton dont think so i guess we wont see it but i hope thats not the case.

peace

brian
my stance on this is that Live has always been very 'scene-centric' when it comes to where the software is focused, that's how it's taught me how to work, how I've adapted my thinking around it.

thinking about it further, this request strike me as being more live performance oriented, forget being locked to scenes, be more open and flexible. changing it could be confusing but screw it, they changed the warp mode completely after 7 years.

it's a change from how Live has fundamentally behaved, maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. I dropped the n00b thing because it's one of those things you get used to after a while, maybe we don't need to.

i completely agree but as i said this is something that worked with my old way of working very well and yes it does give you the flexibility of browsing your clips free from any other constrictions .....and it is something that i am entity used to ...but since the apc40 came out we are discovering things that could be adapted to improve it. With these set as options it would stop you needing to either touch the pc or compromise by loosing buttons (i chose the nudges btw)

if you could toggle between having a row of selected clips (like normal) and previewing all and last selected clips then i think people would use it....if it was midi assignable also i can see it being useful to alot of people

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

MrH

Post by MrH » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Found this work around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFMt4_dxK4

Starts about 5:50
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 pm

MrH wrote:Found this work around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFMt4_dxK4

Starts about 5:50

yeah i did see that now if there was any way to have that function on top of the trackselect buttons without loosing functionality...please ableton add this as an option please.

peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian