What do you struggle with?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funky shit

What do you struggle with?

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:17 pm

For me, definatly song structure.
I have sooooooooooooo many live projects that have awesome 16 bar loops but when trying to do breakdowns/builds etc.
i fail

make me sad

Tone Deft

Re: What do you struggle with?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:31 pm

compositions. I have dozens of .als folders with homebrewed loops.

self criticism is another demon.

talent, an ear, time, sleep, practice, learning, listening, focus, goals, small things like that.

I'm outstanding at making excuses. ask me a question, I'll give you an excuse.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

happy chilld

Post by happy chilld » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:43 pm

I struggle with finish project and remembering people names. I can remember faces better then names. lol :P

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I'm outstanding at making excuses. ask me a question, I'll give you an excuse.
I use to blame my lack of progress on poor gear. The if only my guitar were better syndrome. Now I appreciate the fact that having any guitar at all is a fortune. I now struggle mostly with completion and the follow through. An issue with commitment, I suppose.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:57 pm

easy to answer this one! = FINISHING SONGS.

starting them and getting anywhere between 50% - 80% is just too damn easy.....and then, well, see above.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 am

Learning to drive software. For whatever reason it takes an age to form a mental flow chart of how the 'chain' should link together. I am technologically disabled. :cry:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 am

I struggle with getting the sounds I have in my head - out of my head.

I know the end product I want but I know not how to make it..... I guess I struggle with talent in that respect? :(
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

Hertz SM

Post by Hertz SM » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:10 am

funky shit wrote:I have sooooooooooooo many live projects that have awesome 16 bar loops but when trying to do breakdowns/builds etc.
Make copies of your winning 16 bars. Reduce notes, instruments. Create variations by using inversions of used chords. Create some alternatives in other scales that fit to the main theme. Shorten melodies or sequences to uneven lengths (e.g. make an 8 step bassline become a 6 step one). Use the faders: your song needs quiet and loud parts. And so on...

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:18 am

+1 @gjm

I struggle with software based composing. As much as the obvious conveniences help, the inconveniences of their inter-relationships and needed bug-fixes/upgrades hurt more these days. And i'm not an upgrade freak at all. It's just the nature of it.

I'm on a serious mission to go hardware much more. Solid flow that never fails is better than herky-jerky softwares for me. I'll always have the programs and plugs, but no more slaving over them as my foundation.

Looking at a mpc2500 at the moment and i just started building a fairchild 670 too. Feels better just going there :) it's gonna sound killer too.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 am

knotkranky wrote: Looking at a mpc2500 at the moment
you're going to love it. I'm already starting to miss mine a little. I go in ebbs and flows with hardware. I'll love it for a couple months, then want to get rid of it all, then start missing it. I'm no shrink, but I think it may be an attention span problem. I get bored very easily.

Which is what I struggle with in music-making as well. I'll start a track then get totally bored with it, then pick it up again after a while, then get bored again. I usually end up hating the final product, since I'm so tired of listening to and editing the same thing over and over for days/weeks/months even.
Last edited by aqua_tek on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 am

Balancing girls over my work.

Pussy? or a gig?

Can't live with em....
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:53 am

aqua_tek wrote:
knotkranky wrote: Looking at a mpc2500 at the moment
you're going to love it. I'm already starting to miss mine a little. I go in ebbs and flows with hardware. I'll love it for a couple months, then want to get rid of it all, then start missing it. I'm no shrink, but I think it may be an attention span problem. I get bored very easily.

Which is what I struggle with in music-making as well. I'll start a track then get totally bored with it, then pick it up again after a while, then get bored again. I usually end up hating the final product, since I'm so tired of listening to and editing the same thing over and over for days/weeks/months even.
Oh geez, Amen brother!

Going software was a knee-jerk reaction to my hardware bitching. Now i miss her. I want her baaaaaack!!! :cry:

Grass is always greener on the other side huh, lol.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 am

Do I where a condom? or not?
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:15 am

pretty much everything

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 am