Ableton 8 rushed?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
arielgraff

Ableton 8 rushed?

Post by arielgraff » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:29 am

I own both 7 and 8 suite, I must say I don't understand why there are so many problems with Ableton 8. Just recently I have installed Ableton 8.0.4 Suite on my Windows 7 64bit have been unable to get omnisphere to work (shows empty authorization screen), unable to get Waves Arts power suite working and other VST errors that Do Not happen in my Ableton 7.0.14 installation on the 64 windows 7 setup...

arielgraff

Re: Ableton 8 rushed?

Post by arielgraff » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Hmm...I guess I am the only one having this problem.

I don't understand why Ableton 7 works perfectly under WIN7 and Ableton 8 does not. I thought I got the improved software, but looks like a previous version is more polished. Upsetting...

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:37 pm

I haven't experienced these problems simply because I haven't installed L8 due to the fact that posts such as yours continue to suggest that L8 is not quite a working system. Until such time, L7 is stable and getting the job done for me. For all the hype about new features in L8 they really aren't much use to me unless the whole system works. It seems obvious that at v8.0.4, there are still problems ... marketing & sales are a couple of steps ahead of research & development. I look forward to Live 8 when it finally works ....

Would Ableton care to clarify the situation? I would appreciate knowing when it's actually ready to use with some degree of confidence.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:14 am

works well for some, others aren't so lucky.

running 8.0.4 on my laptop as well as a main DAW desktop machine and it runs pretty well on my laptop but is fussy with my desktop.

your best option is to get the demo and see how it runs for 2 weeks if you're thinking of purchasing.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:06 am

cotdagoo wrote: it runs pretty well on my laptop but is fussy with my desktop.
... once again, not very reassusing ... maybe it works maybe it doesn't.

already purchased the upgrade (suite 8 )... just waiting for a release that gets the general 'thumbs up' before installing another library et al ... also don't want to spoil my generally positive experience of working with Live, which it has been so far.

objectman

Post by objectman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 am

It's also got some issues with sound card drivers. It won't recognise my Emu UA-25 sound card driver, which means it's hungry for CPU processing and clap out on some of the (provided with 8) larger Live sample sets.

I'm using ASIO4ALL until it's sorted. I do like the new features, but yeah - stability is good. The German perfectionists are onto it though I'm sure. And that's why we love them!

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:42 pm

objectman wrote: I'm using ASIO4ALL until it's sorted.

Ah-Ha!! That's your problem!
You're using M.S. Weendows. ;-)
Live version 8 actually runs slightly faster/smoother on my Mac...

just my (not so serious) tuppence,
j2k :mrgreen:

objectman

Post by objectman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Well. At least I'm about a grand richer than you because you bought nicer plastic to wrap around your Intel chip. I'm pretty sure this issue ain't gonna cost that much. So I feel good about that.

moxie38

Post by moxie38 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm a newer Ableton user, having started with 7 and then upgrading to the 8 Suite, and I thought it was pretty buggy when it first came out, but reading all the negative posts made me actually curious to dig back a bit on the forums just to see how 8 compared to other version launches. At least from what I read, it seems like every version of Live has a had a flood of issues for a number people at first until the string of updates eventually makes it smooth sailing. I actually see people saying with EVERY version that "this one is WAY buggier than the version before".
I can understand if you've never used Live before and, having heard all these fabulous things about how fun it is and how it completely changes your workflow and approach to songwriting/performing, you purchased it only to experience crashes and problems -- you are going to be tearing your hair out at first!!
If I can give you any assurance it's that even in my short time as a user I have seen how the Abes support work their butts off. They will NOT leave you hanging indefinitely. They WILL be working this thing until it runs smoothly for all. Like someone else said, they're German! They won't stop until it's perfect!They do seem head and shoulders above some other software companies in this respect. (Native Instruments anyone?)
It's seems simply impossible to be able to send something out the gate that could work seamlessly from day one with all of our endlessly different DAW setups, infinite possiblilities for processors, motherboards, VST plug-ins, controllers, etc. all on two different platforms, especially since they really seem to try and up the ante in a number of big ways with each release. What I appreciate is their level of ambition and dedication to their unique and powerful DAW/performance tool.
I've seen people comparing Live to things like a guitar amp or piece of gear when explaining their expectations for it's stability out of the gate, and I honestly don't think it's a fair comparison. Using that analogy a more accurate comparison would be if everyone who played guitar had a completely different shaped dongle on the end of their instrument cable, many of them home made and uniquely designed, and the amp maker (Live) was supposed to somehow account for all of these different shaped jacks with a supply of adaptors that would accept anything. Also everyone would have a completely different way that their electricity was supplied, different levels of current or voltage or whatever, and Live as the amp maker would have to account for all of these different levels of electric current without their amp blowing up under any circumstances.
You'd have to psychic to be able account for every possibility, right?
If you're still having a rough time with 8, it seems to me that any research about past versions of Live should assure you--it WILL get better. And then you'll be having a BLAST!
8)
WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of dreams!
-Willy Wonka

objectman

Post by objectman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Maybe the topic isn't well titled, but I'm sure the nice people at Ableton will want to hear specific grievances as they are the only thing that will get Live to the top of everyone's Christmas list. Only constructive criticism will help Ableton. Praise and sycophantism can be destructive. It's probably what killed MJ.

moxie38

Post by moxie38 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm

+1 to what objectman said. I neglected to address that. Empty rants and empty praise are the same problem. It is essential that you address Abe support directly with your specific problems, what setup your running on and send them whatever they ask for to examine your specific problems
WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of dreams!
-Willy Wonka