Anyone like the band Tool???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stringtapper

Re: Anyone like the band Tool???

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I count myself fortunate to have seen one of the seven Tool/King Crimson shows, and the best one of all at that: Red Rocks. :twisted:
Unsound Designer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 pm

FWIW a really good bass tab of Schism, my neighbors have to be sick of hearing me play this.

http://www.bassmasta.net/t/tool/144397.html
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 pm

I was at that show (and all the others in Dallas). The melvins were tauning the crowd the time before, saying "the more you boo, the longer we will play". They played for 2 hours as an opening band. Ha. I love the Melvins. I was booing just to hear more.

And, yes. Tool is amazing. They get a bad rap because of some of the dirtbags that are associated with them (possibly myself included), but at the end of the day, you can't deny their talent. Danny Carey is a BEAST.

stringtapper wrote:In the mid-90s I saw a Tool show and a Korn show at the same venue within a couple of months of each other. The differences between the fans couldn't have been more stark.

Some of the Korn fans risked being injured while rushing the floor and over-capacitating it.

Some of the Tool fans risked getting a contact high.

Although I have to say I was very disappointed around '98 when The Melvins opened up for Tool and bunch of kids started booing them and someone even threw an empty water bottle at the drummer. They stopped early. Maynard was pissed when they came out and he let everybody know about it.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 pm

For those that hate the name Tool, read the many wikis on the band. Interesting stuff (Tool is a West Point military reference...)

I love that folks are giving Lateralis so much love. My favorite Tool composition for sure. Aenema is a work of genius as well.

I could go on and on and on, but other folks have for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_(band)

I've been really lucky to see them live at almost every Dallas show (save 2). Saw them at a 2500 seat venue of the warmup leg of the 10000 days tour at Southern Methodist University (SUPER conservative / religious school). Bad ass show. Nothing funnier than seeing all those gloomy, draped-in-black Tool fans invading the Harvard of the South. Folks looked absolutely terrified. Their best was when the co-headlined Lolapalooza with The Prodigy. 5th-row center. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed/been a part of/experienced. Bar none. Hooker with a penis and all.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Got my ticket to this month's Dallas show! :D
Unsound Designer

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:25 am

stringtapper wrote:I count myself fortunate to have seen one of the seven Tool/King Crimson shows, and the best one of all at that: Red Rocks. :twisted:

I'm envious as fuck, I would do almost anything to see that. King Crimson and Tool are on endless repeat in my head and in my mp3 player. I still hope to see king crimson live one day, chances are it wont happen unless I get an economic stimulus handjob.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

amon2365

Post by amon2365 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:32 am

EULOGY IS MY FAV! :D

greta

Post by greta » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 am

I saw the Wool, Tool, Rage against the Machine bill at Rock City in Nottingham in the early 90's and it was fantastic. I'm still a big fan but for some reason have not seen them live since. I need to put that right.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 pm

stringtapper wrote:Got my ticket to this month's Dallas show! :D
Ditto

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:45 am

stringtapper wrote:and the best one of all at that: Red Rocks. :twisted:

Here's my ticket to that very show. :wink:

I didn't get to see them as many times, but did get to see them up close at the Brady Theater in Tulsa, OK - seriously tiny show in comparison to the size of venues on the rest of the tour (2,800 versus the almost 10,000 at Red Rocks). Also caught them at Lollapalooza in '97 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lo ... _year#1997 - an all around good lineup), but our seats were meh.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 am

john doe by choice wrote:
stringtapper wrote:and the best one of all at that: Red Rocks. :twisted:

Here's my ticket to that very show. :wink:

Hold up, your ticket says 1998. Unless I've travelled through the Mobius (which is possible, I don't remember much of the 90s) the Tool/King Crimson show at Red Rocks was in August 2001. So I guess they played at Red Rocks before then?

Seeing them and KC at that venue was like a religious experience for me.

Oh and for anyone who was at the Dallas show last weekend:

"Let the drum faggotry begin!" :lol:
Unsound Designer