so has anyone been djing with ableton so far in a club/party

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amon2365

so has anyone been djing with ableton so far in a club/party

Post by amon2365 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:37 am

i was wondering if anyone has successfully dj with ableton in a club/party and sped up the tempo and not have the "crackling noise" problem.

i cant imagine using the new live 8 in front of a crowd with that current problem.

Atomikat

Re: so has anyone been djing with ableton so far in a club/party

Post by Atomikat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:47 am

Actually...I'm the only one in this city playing Live sets/Live acts with Ableton Live...the rest use Traktor. That makes my act a kind of "unique" performance. I think this is why nobody invites me to play with them. :mrgreen:
never had a problem with it...(I'm using Live 7 and a MBP).

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 am

amon2365 wrote:i was wondering if anyone has successfully dj with ableton in a club/party and sped up the tempo and not have the "crackling noise" problem.

i cant imagine using the new live 8 in front of a crowd with that current problem.
I reckon if you need to crank the tempo during your dj set find a track/loop that will take the adjustment smoothly (usually beats mode) and just use that. I have done sets in the past that started at 130 Bpm and finished at 160 Bpm and I never had the problem you described ( I just noticed that you reckon this is a problem with 8).

As an aside; Chris Liebing, the techno dj, uses pitch changes in his Live dj sets to great effect. I saw him play in my home town (Waterford) and when the bouncers had to descend on the dancefloor because somebody was bottled (Oh Waterford) Chris wound down the tempo noticeably while the chaos ensued. Very clever move as the music seemed to match the crowds WTF! mood and when the muppets had been cleared Chris wound back up the tempo while pointing one finger rythmically at the ceiling (maybe that fixes the crackling) and everybody cheered and was locked back in.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Rhythmic ceiling pointing has always got me through these situations.

But in all seriousness, I've never had any crackling.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 pm

works fine for me.

the only problem is that i use a fader to work the tempo. I have set a min max of 85 - 145 meaning i have to move the fader really gradually.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm

all my tracks are in repitch not sure about beats really although i use it from time to time if im doing a big tempo change. i will engauge pitch when its gets near its original tempo.