Virus Control midi map

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
alex pardo

Virus Control midi map

Post by alex pardo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Why i cant asign midi maping for any parameter of the VC. Is for live or is for the VC??

Bierman

Re: Virus Control midi map

Post by Bierman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:45 am

i checked out your myspace - looks like you're using a Virus Snow... so am I.

as far as I can see it is only possible to assign midi control to softknobs 1, 2 and 3, cutoff and resonance, for patches 1 through 4.... which is annoying.... so basically you'll have to design some useful modulations for the softknobs using the matrix and automate/control them with your midi controller or live's automation.

BUT I think it might be possible to manually set midi ccs in your controller or in the Ableton live project to affect certain parameters of the Virus Control... eg I think CC20 affects the pitch of one of the oscillators. You would need to find out what midi ccs the virus control responds to and unfortunately the manual is absolutely no use as it does not list midi cc tables (not the pdf anyway)

hope that helps a bit.

alex pardo

Post by alex pardo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks for the explanation, i'll try to look for it but i now in the deskshop version this of cc's doesn't works hope this works with snow.

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 am

Did you try to enable 'configure' on the track view in ableton, then right click on the knob or dropdown in the VC and select "Add xxx to automation", then twist the knob or change the dropdown?

It should add a virtual controller to the track, and you should be able to further midi assign that to other things as well.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live