Delete Last Activated Clip?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Majnun

Delete Last Activated Clip?

Post by Majnun » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 am

There must be something obvious that I'm missing here.

I hit play on a clip (remotely). It activates and starts playing. Now I want to delete that clip.

How do I do that without needing to use a mouse, or map specific slots?

Context:
Using APC40, I have my set going, i've jumped around in it, recorded stuff here and there, and now i launch a clip in track 2 slot 3 and want to delete it so I can record in it again. How to do that without grabbing the mouse? (I deally I just want to record over it, but even when armed to record, if there is a clip in the slot, it just plays the clip, not recording over it.)

Thanks! :)

AudioRuso

Re: Delete Last Activated Clip?

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 am

uuuh there's a tool called "Midi Translator" which allows you to send key strokes from midi messages.... but obviously this is just a workaround and doesn't do exactly what you want... but unfortunately there's no other way.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:12 am

I have bomes, but I don't know what message to send to Ableton. I try sending a delete or backspace key, and if I'm firing and selecting things with anything other than clicking on it with my mouse, those keys do nothing.

What key strokes should I be sending?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm

If you have ableton set to "select clip on launch" then any time you select a clip it will highlight that clip and you can just hit your delete button on your qwerty keyboard.

Yes use bomes to translate a midi note or whatever you want to the Delete keystroke, i've tried it before but I didn't like it so I just use my delete button.. make sure ableton is set up to Select clip on launch.. That way you can quickly select a clip and then hit delete before it even starts playing if you desire..

I've noticed if the track is armed and I select the clip (while it isnt playing) and delete it quickly sometimes it will start recording into that slot on the next because it is armed and it has been selected, some times however it doesn't record.. I think it's just the timing of selecting the clip and deleting.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Hmmm I'll try again, but it seemed the other night that if I start playing a clip using the APC clip launch button, hitting delete key didn't do anything at all (even with select on launch turned on in prefs).

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:58 am

Hmmm... not sure what I was doing wrong the other night.... maybe bomes had focus and i thought Live did and so live wasnt getting keypress?

Oh well.

Thanks!!! :)

(oh and i think its backspace to delete not the delete key, at least on my machine)

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:06 am

Hmmm... maybe something is awry... but here's part 2 of the problem.

It appears that when I launch a clip to RECORD with the APC it doesn't make that clip slot the active clip, so if i then hit backspace, it doesn't delete that one, but the last slot I clicked to play. :S

In other words... say I have a clip in track 1, and no clip in track 2.

If I were to launch the clip in track 1, and then arm track 2 and launch an empty clip, it starts recording a clip there as it should, BUT it looks like the clip in track 1 still has the focus, so I i then hit backspace, it doesn't delete the clip I'm recording, but the one that is playing in track 1. :S

Is that how it's supposed to work? Or is something wonky happening here?

Remember that I'm using an APC to launch these clips, if I use a mouse to fire off the blank clip to record in track 2, indeed when I hit backspace it erases the recording clip in track 2 and not the playing clip in track 1.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 am

I don't have an APC i'm using a Korg NanoKontrol.. It's Delete key for me on a Dell laptop, but eitherway samething..

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:44 am

Maybe double click the track (select it twice) so that is the last track and also the second to last track that was selected.. technically?

I think it'd be awesome if the APC had a delete function when the clip was double clicked, and then maybe a triple click or a click and hold would do different things. Kindof the same type of thing the MacBook trackpad functions..