Buying software from a dev you can't stand?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Buying software from a dev you can't stand?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 pm

What do you guys think of buying a piece of software from a developer that just rubs you the wrong way? I can't make up my mind. There is a synth plug-in that I really enjoy using, but I find the developer to be a complete condescending asshole who is also not at all receptive to constructive criticism.

On one hand it doesn't matter, we should just use what we enjoy. On the other hand, there is often a community around the developer and I hate the idea of supporting someone who just makes me want to puke.

What are your experiences with asswipe devs? Does it affect your buying decisions at all?

cheers!
Professional Shark Jumper.

8O

Re: Buying software from a dev you can't stand?

Post by 8O » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Ah, c'mon, name and shame! Or at least drop some hints... :D

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm

8O wrote:Ah, c'mon, name and shame! Or at least drop some hints... :D
Nah I'd rather not. I don't really want to spread a bunch of hate. I'm more just curious about how much people's buying decisions are based on impressions of the developer. For example, I bet u-he retains lots of folks and gets new customers sometimes based on how genuinely nice he is. I wonder how much it swings the other way for not-so nice devs. No doubt customer support helps sell products, but what if the support ain't bad, but they're just a fuckin' douche ya know... I really enjoy this particular product demo. There is where it's annoying being principled about who I give my money to.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:55 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
8O wrote:Ah, c'mon, name and shame! Or at least drop some hints... :D
Nah I'd rather not. I don't really want to spread a bunch of hate. I'm more just curious about how much people's buying decisions are based on impressions of the developer. For example, I bet u-he retains lots of folks and gets new customers sometimes based on how genuinely nice he is. I wonder how much it swings the other way for not-so nice devs. No doubt customer support helps sell products, but what if the support ain't bad, but they're just a fuckin' douche ya know... I really enjoy this particular product demo. There is where it's annoying being principled about who I give my money to.

Its the product that matters. Do you find the tool useful and inspiring? then use it. Just because beethoven was an out of control asshole doesn't mean I enjoy and admire his music any less.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Fair enough :wink: - to answer your question, I wouldn't buy it.

And agree 100% on u-he being a great positive example.

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 pm

I use a bit of software at work, and this is developed by one guy, its only $30, he states on his website that he will personally respond to each and every email that is sent to him, which he does, its just sometimes, if you catch him in the wrong mood he sends back these shitty sarcastic condescending replies which makes you think , "fuck you" , but then sometimes he can be really helpful, i just think that if you put yourself in this position of developer, you should be able to respond to your customers in a slightly more civil way, whether they only pay $30 or not but maybe if id just had 20 emails saying "why the fuck doesnt this work!?" id be a little bit shitty too. Also i think it's very easy to get the wrong end of a stick with an email, especially if its between different countries.....
Lion 10.7.2
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz
Ableton live 8.26
Logic pro 9.15

My Website

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:19 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: What are your experiences with asswipe devs? Does it affect your buying decisions at all?
Yeah- it does.

ew

emef

Post by emef » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

can't say i've ever had a bad experience with a little developer
they always seem pleased to get some money for their good work
and are very helpful if i report bugs
i reported a bug with ableton 8.04 and filtershaper to cableguys
and they fixed it the next day
very good

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 pm

ok, so ur not talking about Urs... who else are you not referring to?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:51 pm

There's tons of people who don't buy Macs simply because they think their users are a bunch of assholes and that Apple is some kind of mind control machine.

Are you talking about Tone2?

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 pm

Tough call...

It really should be as simply as, if you'll use it, then buy it, but I understand about not wanting to personally support an asshole.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd break it down like this...

If the dev was a bad person and would use the money to fund the KKK or even Sarah Palin's presidential campaign, then fuck no... I'll find something else.

On the other hand... if the dev simply lacks social skills, but will use the money for further development or even just to keep his wife off his back while producing nice software, then I'd buy the damn thing and call it a day.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 pm

only thing worse than a fan boy is an anti-fan boy.
spreader of butter

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm

I believe in voting with my dollars. So no, I won't buy from a developer that treats a customer/potential customer like dirt. And to date, I have only ignored one company's product along these lines.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 pm

b0unce wrote:only thing worse than a fan boy is an anti-fan boy.
Very true.

Seems like opinions are pretty evenly split on the matter. I think elxicano put it best and I think I agree with that Logic best. I'd probably pick it up used if I come across it.

condra

Post by condra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 pm

You're considering not buying the product, but not bitching about the dev. Personally, I would probably do the opposite.