Any video purists on here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Any video purists on here?

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I know some people on here won't buy music on anything less than a physical CD and/or would prefer vinyl if that option is available. So I thought I'd ask if anybody feels the same way about movie and video quality.

I got a 42" LCD TV about a year ago and it trumps my old tube TV and no regrets on that one, but I also watch a lot of things through a projector and while it's nowhere near the sharpness of the LCD it trumps it based on the picture being fricken' huge.

I've seen HD movies and TV channels but is it worth the price increase? Not to me it isn't. I'm currently blitzkrieging netflix by as soon as I get a movie I rip to an mpeg at a rate of 400 mbs per hour and then put it in the mail that night or next morning. That quality is good enough for me and I probably won't switch to blue ray until they stop making regular DVDs.

So what are your eyes telling you?

longjohns

Re: Any video purists on here?

Post by longjohns » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 am

I don't care about that crap. The latest monitor i bought has an hd tuner, so now I can see the hd channels. I guess they look good, in a freakishly crisp way that is very computer-like. I have been impressed by hd on larger tvs

haven't really watched a movie in years. dvd, vhs, whatever is OK with me except the new formats, because I don't have a player and am not likely to ever buy one

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:23 am

35mm film projected still looks better than any of the above :wink:

greta

Post by greta » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 am

i don't really care about films but if it's a music dvd then i will go with the blu ray if i'm given the option.

d-track

Post by d-track » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 am

my problem is: 35 mm movie is 24 fps which is too slow.
our eyes are get used to 60 to 100 fps because of the gaming, new media etc, then and oldschool movie looks like cartoon for me.
for example no country for old men in the cinemas. the slow motions are killing my eyes because of the flickering of the medium (film) itself and slow rate.
in case of fast motion the industry standard is to "wash" away the frames to cheat our eyes.
but it doesn work for me anymore.
film is just too old, cartoonish for me.
30 fps (ntsc) is a better option and if i make videos i always use that, it helps a little. but 30fps discs are the same of the 24 fps original movie copy to digital, some frame are just repeated.
time for a change. for at least 60 fps.
24-30 just isnt smooth enough in 2009.
anyway HD (blu-ray for example) gives you clean pictures. but i can take clean hd pictures with my still camera....
come on:)

d-track

Post by d-track » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am

ive learnt 5 years film at university an no one complain about this, except me. strange.
the film is 3 dimensional.
there are a resolution of the 2d image which is good enough on blu -ray.
the 3rd dimension is time.
resolution of time is getting a blemish on movies imo.

not cartoon. comic(s)

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 am

its kind of odd how you have such a problem with it
many many genius film makers who work in the medium
to a higher degree than you ever will don't complain about it...

but if you are claiming gaming looks better than cinema then
i think we can just agree to disagree...

d-track

Post by d-track » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am

well said
(at least at your degree)

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:08 pm

BM - What's up with the compulsive need to steal movies? Does it feel good or something? What do you plan on doing with your grand library of stolen video? Kick back on your couch one day and watch 7000 hours of dreck?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:BM - What's up with the compulsive need to steal movies? Does it feel good or something? What do you plan on doing with your grand library of stolen video? Kick back on your couch one day and watch 7000 hours of dreck?
I was wondering if somebody was going to bring up the pirating issue on movies and TV shows, but I think there's a difference between the music industry and film/television industry. As far as I know everybody involved in a movie or TV show is paid up front and most of these pay for themselves so DVDs are just bonus cash in a choice few people's pockets. If they didn't break even or lost money then it's probably garbage that most people aren't buying or pirating anyway.

I also have no sympathy with the television industry right now because they are even more lost and bipolar than the music industry. If something isn't a hit in 5 seconds appealing to the lowest common denominator then they cancel it and replace it with some low overhead reality show. So fuck em in general.

I'm sure a good percentage of netflix members rip movies. If they offered the same deal with music CDs there's no way people would just listen to it for a week and return it without making a copy, why is it considered so evil with movies?

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:50 pm

I prefer tube TVs for the excellent black levels. I bought the last great 16:9 tube TV Sony made and it is awesome! The picture is way better than most any LCD or plasma TV IMO. Yes it is huge but I have the perfect place for it in my house where it sits in a recess in the wall. Sweeet! And it was only $300, instead of $1000+ for a decent (smaller) LCD.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

beats me wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:BM - What's up with the compulsive need to steal movies? Does it feel good or something? What do you plan on doing with your grand library of stolen video? Kick back on your couch one day and watch 7000 hours of dreck?
I was wondering if somebody was going to bring up the pirating issue on movies and TV shows, but I think there's a difference between the music industry and film/television industry. As far as I know everybody involved in a movie or TV show is paid up front and most of these pay for themselves so DVDs are just bonus cash in a choice few people's pockets. If they didn't break even or lost money then it's probably garbage that most people aren't buying or pirating anyway.

I also have no sympathy with the television industry right now because they are even more lost and bipolar than the music industry. If something isn't a hit in 5 seconds appealing to the lowest common denominator then they cancel it and replace it with some low overhead reality show. So fuck em in general.

I'm sure a good percentage of netflix members rip movies. If they offered the same deal with music CDs there's no way people would just listen to it for a week and return it without making a copy, why is it considered so evil with movies?
yeah - Just tonight I torrented a CD that I used to own - I don't see a problem with that as I don't know where the CD is and it's easier to find a torrent

I think the music and movie industries both need to just accept this reality and focus more on the worth of the product, making people feel like they WANT to pay for it.. I think people will pay for music and movies if they see it as worth it

but with movies, I go to the cinema if I can, if I can't then I rent the DVD when it comes out for $1 AUD on tuesdays, and if I can really be arsed using the hard disk space or blank DVD to copy it then I might, but frankly most of the time I rent movies then take them back and pay late fines when I haven't even watched them the first time, so if I copy it, then watch it when I get around to it then I have watched it as many times as I would have if I'd just made the time and watched it when I originally rented it

wait, what was the question again?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:14 pm

I suppose I get it, if you're ripping it just because you don't feel like watching it at the moment. I mean, is that worth risking the financial h-bomb if you get busted? That's you're call I suppose.

Beats sounds more like he's compiling a collection. A vast library with Men in Black II and Con Air at his disposal whenever he wants them. I'm not terribly morally opposed to this. It just seems like a waste of hard drive space to me. It's kind of dorky.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Netflix instant viewing is a great alternative to ripping movies. The idea really is just to be able to watch what you want when you want, not necessarily 'owning' copies of everything. If I could just watch or listen to whatever I want whenever I want, I would ecstatically pay a significant monthly fee.

That being said, I really love physical albums and artwork. I love buying a CD, sitting down with the music, and poring over every detail of the CD liner. When a band/musician releases a CD with poor liner notes I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot. Like Autechre's pretentious all white liner notes....meh....I would much see screenshots of their algorhythmic compositions, or descriptions of their writing process.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm

subbasshead wrote:35mm film projected still looks better than any of the above :wink:
pfft. 70mm with an SR soundtrack. 8)

once you see HD it's hard to go back.

compressed video is annoying.

anyone see the new high contrast TVs? they make today's TVs looks lame.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz