APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Zygi

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by Zygi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:01 am

A lil question about crossfader:

typical tight-DJ-style, or scratchy-loose one? A small review of especially this one thingy anyone?

halley

Post by halley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 am

Of all the 'reviews' around only one or two seem to refer to these facts:
- crossfader it's scratchy-loose
- could be replaced quite easily from an opening on the bottom of the unit

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Thank you ;)

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
trilo wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I notice the APC has dedicated knobs for Lives instruments and effects - are these recordable as automation in session view or does it suffer from the same limitation that affects all VST automation in Live?
I've had no problem recording automation of Live instruments/effects, AU's, or VST's using the APC40 & Live 8. I'm no VST wizard or anything, but on the handful of effects I've messed with everything worked normally and automation recorded without incident.
In session view? It's always been something that wasn't possible before - that's why I asked, have they done something to make it work with this particular controller?
nope, same as always

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:51 pm

housemusiclover wrote:
nope, same as always
So you can't record automation (knob movements) in session view with the APC?

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
housemusiclover wrote:
nope, same as always
well, it gets recorded into the arrangement view, just like any other midi controller used with Live

micky

Post by micky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Hello guys, few questions:

Can the APC40 delete a clip ?

Do you think it would be overkill to have the zero sl, apc40 and ohm64 aluminum? oh and maschine?

Thanks,
micky Simulation pret

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:19 am

deleting a clip via the APC is not possible at the moment, i'd also love to have that possibility...

Abes, get M4L ready already!! :twisted:

edit: pressing a clip button for 2 seconds would be fine for example, though this of course couldn't work in "Launch mode: gate"

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:09 pm

housemusiclover wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
housemusiclover wrote:
nope, same as always
well, it gets recorded into the arrangement view, just like any other midi controller used with Live
Damn! I was hoping bringing out a dedicated controller would be sufficient incentive for them to resolve this long-standing limitation. I mean what's the point of having all those knobs if I can't use them properly? I don't want to record in arrange view - I got live for the session view - session view is what makes Live what it is.

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:29 pm

would be wonderful, i agree

let's hope M4L offers some kind of workaround for that limitation

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:44 pm

does anyone have the user manual for the APC 40? im taking it to europe and i want to make sure to fit it with the correct power supply or converter

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 pm

housemusiclover wrote:would be wonderful, i agree

let's hope M4L offers some kind of workaround for that limitation
Actually I hope not - I don't want to have to pay extra for something that should have been built in from the start. Implementing workarounds for essential but missing features through M4L is the worst use of it I can think of.

djwack

Post by djwack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:54 am

Zygi wrote:A lil question about crossfader:

typical tight-DJ-style, or scratchy-loose one? A small review of especially this one thingy anyone?
it's a bit on the flimsy side, not a professional fadaholic so can't compare it to a top-notch fader. Good for making scratchy stuff IMO. (remember that the xfade curve is determined by the host, so a bit of customization to taste is easy)

The channel faders are a lot more firm though. All in all, I really like the feel of both fader styles, good for making basic DJ tricks etc.
(Although, you might want to remap the pans to utility-volume to get gain knobs for the channels)

SunshineLui

Post by SunshineLui » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello guys,

i have a problem with my apc40.

when i was starting the apc40 with the power button on the back, i was holding the combination "play" and "rec" button down.
Now when the apc starts, it "blinks up" the "MASTER" button und the record arm button of track 8 is on. when i press the Master button the record button of track 8 goes out. when i press master button again he stops blinking and the button "PAN" turns on. and then nothing work. the Apc40 does not work at all.

i think i was going in to a firmware upgrade mode (know this from other akai products) or something like this a the red record arm button show a error. i find nowhere a manual or something like this where explain what to do now. maybe i erased my firmware from the apc40 where to get a new one^^.

plz help me my ableton friends :)

SunshineLui

Post by SunshineLui » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:53 pm

SunshineLui wrote:Hello guys,

i have a problem with my apc40.

when i was starting the apc40 with the power button on the back, i was holding the combination "play" and "rec" button down.
Now when the apc starts, it "blinks up" the "MASTER" button und the record arm button of track 8 is on. when i press the Master button the record button of track 8 goes out. when i press master button again he stops blinking and the button "PAN" turns on. and then nothing work. the Apc40 does not work at all.

i think i was going in to a firmware upgrade mode (know this from other akai products) or something like this a the red record arm button show a error. i find nowhere a manual or something like this where explain what to do now. maybe i erased my firmware from the apc40 where to get a new one^^.

plz help me my ableton friends :)
i also asked akai and ableton this question. and they tell me that i erased my firmware and i have to send my apc40 to akai for playing new firmware on it. so i did. remember dont try this at home never press play and rec button on startup of your apc40 you erase your firmware and apc is useless and there no way to get the firmware via internet or sth.