Additional basic instrument- Anilog?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
RobC

Additional basic instrument- Anilog?

Post by RobC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:05 am

Probably not popular for Suite users, but for those new to Live- a basic subtractive synth along with Simpler, an "Analog Lite" of some kind.

As we get more and more into sharing sets and "integrating" everything those who use synths can't use anything but Simpler. It is fine for those of us who own Operator, Analog, Tension etc but not for everyone else. I'm sure most forum users have all this, but not everyone does which makes sharing tricky.

The synth could have the same relationship to Analog that Simpler has to Sampler- so perhaps call it Anilog? Perhaps not.

Rob.

JuSchu

Re: Additional basic instrument- Anilog?

Post by JuSchu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:16 am

+1

i own the suite but anyway i find it's a good idea.
if you only need a simple synth-sound you could also use it to save cpu.
and one oscilator would be enough. if you need more you could layer two anilogs in a rack.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 am

I agree, although you can achieve quite okay results using Simpler with the waveforms included in the Live Library - they have Analogue Saw, Sine, Square etc etc

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

basic version of Live, not containing a simple synth is just a joke right now, with other DAWs offering more tha just a simple sampler

+1

RobC

Post by RobC » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 pm

I agree with the forge that Simpler can be used as he says- I suppose it is more about Live having moved to being "Audio and MIDI" quite a while ago but the only instruments in the "normal" version are sample based.

A slightly different suggestion- as Operator is such a great and flexible instrument and very "Ableton" perhaps it could become free instead?

Rob.

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:28 am

I think Ableton should focus on improving Analog instead of giving us another synth. I don´t need another synth besides Operator and Analog in Ableton.
Ableton 9.2 Suite + Push, Elektron Octratrack, Nord Lead A1, Nord Drum 2 + Nord Pad, Mono Evolver Desktop, microKorg, SidStation, Nanoloop 1.3-2.01, Mackie 1402 VLZPro, Edirol FA-66

JuSchu

Post by JuSchu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 pm

the idea is't a new synth. the idea is a le version of analog wich is also in the standard-version.
an i don't think, that this will cost much time.
they could take the analog and take out one ocsilator and a few other features.

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:19 pm

JuSchu wrote:the idea is't a new synth. the idea is a le version of analog wich is also in the standard-version.
an i don't think, that this will cost much time.
they could take the analog and take out one ocsilator and a few other features.
Well, thats my point. I have the Suite edition and I don´t want another unit on the list as Simpler - Sampler. I agree with RobC. It´s an "Audio & MIDI" DAW in the first place. Make Operator part of the standard package instead, because of its versatility. Analog is missing a lot of features to even make it into the Suite package imho. Here is some features that it´s missing:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117426
Ableton 9.2 Suite + Push, Elektron Octratrack, Nord Lead A1, Nord Drum 2 + Nord Pad, Mono Evolver Desktop, microKorg, SidStation, Nanoloop 1.3-2.01, Mackie 1402 VLZPro, Edirol FA-66

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am

I'm not sure Analog Lite would be a good idea.. Analog is aleady a very basic synth..
if you would strip it what would be left; one oscillator and a filter? not really worth it imho..
not sure if I would use such a feature crippled synth just because I want to share with others..
I would rather choose to temporarily freeze/bounce that synth..

and then also a Operator-, Tension- and Electric Lite? naah..

I would rather take it back to the 'cannot share with others because of device xxxx' issue..
since all instruments are contained in every instance of Live why not temporarily unlock the device?

so I open a shared set with say Operator I don't have, Operator will just play but its GUI elements will be locked..
that way I can playback the whole set but cannot make any changes on the device itself..

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:39 pm

poster wrote:I'm not sure Analog Lite would be a good idea.. Analog is aleady a very basic synth..
if you would strip it what would be left; one oscillator and a filter? not really worth it imho..
not sure if I would use such a feature crippled synth just because I want to share with others..

I would rather take it back to the 'cannot share with others because of device xxxx' issue..
since all instruments are contained in every instance of Live why not temporarily unlock the device?

so I open a shared set with say Operator I don't have, Operator will just play but its GUI elements will be locked..
that way I can playback the whole set but cannot make any changes on the device itself..
i agree. but considering the price of this DAW you would think that those were come included at purchase and not something youd have to purchase separately (or as a bundle package, studio).

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm

friend_kami wrote:
poster wrote:I'm not sure Analog Lite would be a good idea.. Analog is aleady a very basic synth..

i agree. but considering the price of this DAW you would think that those were come included at purchase and not something youd have to purchase separately (or as a bundle package, studio).
I definitely agree with you on that though.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm

friend_kami wrote: i agree. but considering the price of this DAW you would think that those were come included at purchase and not something youd have to purchase separately (or as a bundle package, studio).
different and dead discussion..

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:19 pm

poster wrote:
friend_kami wrote: i agree. but considering the price of this DAW you would think that those were come included at purchase and not something youd have to purchase separately (or as a bundle package, studio).
different and dead discussion..
not really.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:25 am

poster wrote: so I open a shared set with say Operator I don't have, Operator will just play but its GUI elements will be locked..
i like this idea!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 am

Works for me too, I think.

Be interesting to know what proportion of users have which combinations of instruments- I now have Suite because of the L7 to L8 upgrade offer but I would imagine that the majority of users wouldn't use Ableton instruments?

Rob.