scratching on ableton: check this out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

scratching on ableton: check this out

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:21 pm

found this link off scratchworx today:

http://www.inklen.com/tonetable

looks nuts, gonna try it a bit later. wonder how it works, i.e if u arm a track then it is ready for use or say in traktor, when the relevant deck is selected it is ready for use - so u can mix 2 or more tracks.

kabuki

Re: scratching on ableton: check this out

Post by kabuki » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Yeah. That's great. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DO THAT? Don't you need two hands to do anything with an iPhone? and another hand to use a cross fader? Any why would you bother with having a system that prevents you from looking like you are checking email, to one where you look like you are checking email on your iPhone?

Another worthless app.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:19 pm

if youve got enough money to waste on an iphone, just buy a real CDJ or something or a mini KP. Iphones are useless in my opinion im a windows mobile fan/user. I think if i went to a club and saw a dj using that, i wouldnt be too impressed and would reconsider how serious this guy is about what hes doing. waste of 7.99.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 pm

^ lame hater/Windows fan. :roll:

seriously, who cares how the DJ does his thing, his only job is to be entertaining, not to let you walk up to the booth and measure his dick.

how's it work? if you listen to timecode vinyl you hear a constant tone, it's just two 1200 Hz signals laid over each other, not music but a digital signal the computer can read. the wikipedia entry on this lays it all out.

so, what this does is simply playback the same tone a timecoded record or CD would play and you can speed up/slow down the signal. it's no different than playing a timecode CD into Serato/Tracktor/Ms Pinky.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:^ lame hater/Windows fan. :roll:

seriously, who cares how the DJ does his thing, his only job is to be entertaining, not to let you walk up to the booth and measure his dick.

how's it work? if you listen to timecode vinyl you hear a constant tone, it's just two 1200 Hz signals laid over each other, not music but a digital signal the computer can read. the wikipedia entry on this lays it all out.

so, what this does is simply playback the same tone a timecoded record or CD would play and you can speed up/slow down the signal. it's no different than playing a timecode CD into Serato/Tracktor/Ms Pinky.
that is exactly why it sounds good.

it is a time-coded vinyl app. so you would use the cross fader on ur normal dj mixer/midi controller/

also imagine the sort of apps you will get when a larger (and cheapish) touch surface becomes available. its hardly the same having an itouch (which many ppl own anyway) and spending £500+ for an individual cdj. come on that was a dumb comment. i wouldn't buy an itouch just for this app, but if i have an itouch (which i do) I would consider spending £5 to have a nifty utility. i could see this working really well with traktor scratch.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 pm

for the record i wasnt realy hating or bashing the app, too each his own. i just dont like it lol maybe im just a gear junkie and enjoy the toys and buttons and shit like that.

as far as windows goes, well i wish i had apple products but i dont. but iphone is overrated and more of a toy than anything else, but i run a buisness out of my phone and all pcs at home, again to each his own. dont get me wrong, cool app but i wouldnt buy it.

dont hate me lol my workflow/utilies/needs are different than your soo i have a different opinion on thingss

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:14 pm

all respect. ;)

a little too much Monday thrown in there.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:17 pm

kabuki wrote:Yeah. That's great. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DO THAT?

+1
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:20 pm

yeh, i agree that iphone's don't exactly replace your cdjs or whatever other gear out there. and yeh, they are essentially are toy. the worst tho is people djing with wii controllers - that is gash. anyways, each to their own.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:27 pm

why does it matter HOW they do it? I'll hang out and buy rounds of drinks as long as the music's good.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:41 am

i think it all depends on the context of use.. if it's a lounge/bar, who cares what they use as long as the music is good.. but if it's a show and some dude thinks he can do what scratch live/ms pinky/traktor is meant for doing, then that's a different story.. it's like entering a guitar competition w/ a guitar hero controller or something.. but to me, some dj's already look like they are checking their emails, let alone a phone to add to the list.. it's just bad for your image.. whatever happened to showmanship?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 am

nuxnamon wrote:it's like entering a guitar competition w/ a guitar hero controller or something..
omfg try again, that doesn't even compare.

the only difference between the iApp and timecode vinyl would be the distance you can move the timecode (it's more limited on the iThing) and that vinyl moves in a circle rather than up and down.

so much desperation to hate... f-ck me, I'm defending Apple, strange day.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:53 am

Tone Deft wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:it's like entering a guitar competition w/ a guitar hero controller or something..
omfg try again, that doesn't even compare.

the only difference between the iApp and timecode vinyl would be the distance you can move the timecode (it's more limited on the iThing) and that vinyl moves in a circle rather than up and down.

so much desperation to hate... f-ck me, I'm defending Apple, strange day.
if the only difference between and iApp and timecode vinyl was the distance you can move your hand, then you don't look at the turntable as a instrument.. if some dude is gonna post something about "scratching" and bring some kind of ipod shit, then he's gonna get some responses.. like i said, it's ok for certain things. why you so mad for??

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 am

I'm not mad at all, there's just these desperate attempts to hate on everything.

FFS I do look at turntables as an instrument, do you know me? :roll: I have turntables (they're under the desk due to the APC and what I can do in Live, kinda sucks), I've taught myself to beat match and juggle records, I have Qbert and scratch videos, I've seen turntablists in concert and listen to their CDs. I respect the art form, I understand how this is not the same as full vinyl but I'm not so narrow sighted to understand what's going on.

your examples were really weak, that's all.

it's 8 frigging bucks!! who cares?? someone stuck timecode vinyl control into a handheld device, do what you want with it.

edit - this is no way could ever replace two turntables with timecode vinyl and a wicked scratch set. it's an $8 amusement. don't take my words too far.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:08 am

nuxnamon wrote:i think it all depends on the context of use.. if it's a lounge/bar, who cares what they use as long as the music is good.. but if it's a show and some dude thinks he can do what scratch live/ms pinky/traktor is meant for doing, then that's a different story.. it's like entering a guitar competition w/ a guitar hero controller or something.. but to me, some dj's already look like they are checking their emails, let alone a phone to add to the list.. it's just bad for your image.. whatever happened to showmanship?

+1 sorry :(