Australian equipment price insanity ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stjohn

Re: Australian equipment price insanity ?

Post by stjohn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm

woah, the price on Novamusik looks really nice!
so what exactly would the downfalls of purchasing from the US be? does the apc40 have a voltage-switch? i guess if you ran into any problems, shipping costs would build up too...

theque

Post by theque » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm

stjohn wrote:woah, the price on Novamusik looks really nice!
so what exactly would the downfalls of purchasing from the US be? does the apc40 have a voltage-switch? i guess if you ran into any problems, shipping costs would build up too...

they won't honor your warranty in Australia. i have asked a few companies here and the answer is always that the warranty is only valid in the country of purchase. bastards. often though you can purchase two of the same product for the same price as buying one here. thats as good as a warranty.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 pm

It has a wall-wart so power isnt a problem,
maybe AU$30 from an electronics shop or a AU$5 powerplug converter.

And

If you can sell the *broken* one for AU$193...
Then getting a second replacement APC40 would end up the same price as ONE here.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:04 pm

hereschenes wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:but mostly we just get gouged because until the internetz, we couldnt go anywhere else. People used to go on junkets to Hong Kong to buy their electronic stuff.
Exactly. Big business wants it both ways... cheap overseas labour to make their stuff, globalization FTW etc, but when it comes to the retail end of the stick they want to pretend like it's 1950 or something.
nuperspective wrote:bought the komplete 5 deal @ 399USD - so that worked out at 500AUD.
Me too... and I can't believe NI had free shipping to Australia! I thought that must have been some mistake. And it arrived in 3 days!
i was in the same position when i bought my virus ti. had it all queued up at more than 2000AUD!!!! less if i imported it from the US. i was in my local store playing with one and when i told the guy what the price i had been offered he matched it there and then. so thats how much margin is on the stuff.
Chilling.

i forgot about the free shipping - what a deal.

now if only i could get UPS to understand i work during the day and im not home i could get the thing delivered and start playing. should be here by the weekend.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 pm

+1 for an order of Komplete from NI direct. The distributors in Aus are a bunch of thieving bastards. Their bullshit with warranty is even worse in the bush, if I try to negotiate a deal with a rural retailer asking if they can match a Sydney price, they simply say "nah mate, u do realise if their is a problem, you'll have to take it to Sydney. Authorized repairers seem to feel they only have to honour a warranty if they sell the item, which is quite frankly, BULLSHIT.

I for one have had a gut full of their grabby nature. I happily take my business overseas as I simply do not earn enough to prop up the fucking rip off business strategies of Australian companies. And lets face it, has anyone else noticed how fucking hard it is to get satisfaction under warranty in this country anyway. When I was up in Tamworth I found a great tech guy who often charged less than the cost of postage for a warranty claim and ALWAYS did a bang up job.
Loving your children, caring for the environment and respecting each being you meet for who they are and not who you think they should be....COOL!!!!!

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 am

even if you have to send an apc back to the states for warranty, it'll cost you $160aus return.
you could send it to the states and return twice and still come out $50 ahead than if you bought it here.
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds