Programming Dubstep drums at 70 BPM instead of 140

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UnCL0NED

Re: Programming Dubstep drums at 70 BPM instead of 140

Post by UnCL0NED » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm

josephjobling wrote: i cut it off from about 50hz down. i use side chain compressor th help the kick stand out against the bass.
Okay! Normally I cut at about 80 or 100 hz...
With this style I have my doubts if I should use sidechain compression. I noticed it can influence the movement of the "basswobble". What I've done in this song I'm working on right now, is cut it at 20hz and EQ out a dip in the Bass where the Kick peeks and visa versa. It sounds okay to me... But I'm not a pro! I read that sounds below 20hz are rather felt then heard, so I thought by not cutting it at all, you achieve this rumbling "sound" that you feel, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

@ Trypset: I think humans can hear down to about 20 hz.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:19 pm

What I do (and I am no pro)

- I low pass my kickdrum wherever is appropriate (usually around 150-250ish I think) so that I get the sound I want but cut out some boom
- I have a my regular bass (a Reese, etc) and I put a lowpass filter around 100-200 hz then I use an EQ to cut the frequencies that are shared with the kick
- I then layer a second bassline that is just a sub (usually a sine or layered sine wave) and I lowpass at 20hz and highpass around 100-200hz

This way you have the Sub for your low-lows that you feel, you have a second bass for character that is typically a focal element for your track and room to hear the kicks without conflicting frequencies.

For the bass sounds themselves, I use whatever: Operator, Analog, Massive, sometimes I resample and use simpler, sometimes I just use layered samples with simpler in an instrument rack, depends on my mood.
Last edited by contakt321 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm

if you can keep rhythm for more than 4 bars at 70 bpm metronome, then you are special.

i need the extra click or else it all fails

it would be nice to have a "double time" mode with the metronome so you dont have to double the speed and change the clips speeds if you need the extra click

doesn't matter if its 140 exactly cause a dj will just pitch it up or down to match

so you are safe in the 135-145 area if you want to experiment with it.

personally i find 140 to be a bit awkward i would rather have it a bit faster or slower

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 pm

yeah i like to DJ at 135, it was easier to get my point across with the 70/140
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

Echotone

Post by Echotone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 am

t would be nice to have a "double time" mode with the metronome so you dont have to double the speed and change the clips speeds if you need the extra click
Actually you can do this by changing the time signature to 4/8 instead of 4/4 it will double the speed of the metronome so you can leave everything at 70bpm and work with a click at 140bpm

josephjobling

Post by josephjobling » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 am

UnCL0NED wrote:
josephjobling wrote: i cut it off from about 50hz down. i use side chain compressor th help the kick stand out against the bass.
Okay! Normally I cut at about 80 or 100 hz...
With this style I have my doubts if I should use sidechain compression. I noticed it can influence the movement of the "basswobble". What I've done in this song I'm working on right now, is cut it at 20hz and EQ out a dip in the Bass where the Kick peeks and visa versa. It sounds okay to me... But I'm not a pro! I read that sounds below 20hz are rather felt then heard, so I thought by not cutting it at all, you achieve this rumbling "sound" that you feel, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

@ Trypset: I think humans can hear down to about 20 hz.
Yea the key with the side chain is to play arround with the threashold so that the kick comes through with as little effect to the bass as possable (it a fine balance) this is just what i do cos i like to feel the punch in my kicks. i filter from 50hz just cos (this is my opinion) i think it sounds better/cleaner with out the bass rumble at the low end.