So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timothyallan

So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm

Any tips/advice/workflow or other things you wish you'd figured out when you first started with it?

BTW Not totally jumping ship, but I reaaaaaly enjoyed the extra CPU I squeezed out of my machine when I had a copy of logic 8 for a few days.

weeddigger

Re: So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Post by weeddigger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 pm

learn as many keyboard shortcuts as you can... Use screen sets, for the mixer, sample editor, piano roll, the score, and the hyper editor, not that funky extra window that you can get thru the arrange page.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 am

http://www.logicprohelp.com/

Very good forum with tons of info & stuff!

Currently you have to register to read, cause they had problems with spam...
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 am

Yeah, I've been all over LPH the last few days :)

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:47 am

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58 am

Yeah, him too. I'm more looking for stuff people have figured out firsthand... cool rewire things etc

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:33 am

Some of the plugs have an extended parameters section at the bottom which you expose by clicking the arrow to expand the section. There are some fun things down there. Example - the tape delay (which is a great plug) has a distortion level at the bottom. Sometimes I set the delay to 0ms and add a little distortion to do a nice tape saturation....in 8 there's a bug with doing that where the plug doesn't retain the 0.0 setting and you'll have full delay when you relaunch the project and have to turn it back down - hopefully they've fixed it in 9...

Logic has some of those LONG lasting bugs but otherwise I love it - I use it as my mixing desk and rewire Ableton and Reason....
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:09 am

nylarch wrote:... the tape delay (which is a great plug) .....
I probably have no right posting here as it's about 7-10 years since I properly used Logic, but I used to love the tape delay, and there are a couple of features I still really miss - such as "note force legato" (has been there since before it did audio IIRC) which butts the ends of all the notes up against the ones following them

"optimise song" is another thing I wish Ableton would add - where all clips currently in the arranger are cropped so that only what is used is taking up your HD space - Live could really use this!

there are some other little things like that I can't remember at the moment

Also - if you want to loop clips like you do in Live, dont forget the "Loop" option so you don't have to copy/duplicate clips (even Cubase never used to have this) then it keeps going until it hits another region or the end marker - you can use the draw tool to insert a blank clip to stop the looping (they will be alias/ghost versions - so you only need to change the original) - in a way I still think that is more convenient than Live's way of looping in arranger - kind of very session view like in that it plays until you stop it rather than you having to choose how long to loop for - small thing but nice workflow - so the way to work in this example is you start with a small section at the start looped (cycle record I think) and build some clips, then just select them and hit "loop" (in the clip properties, or maybe it's called the inspector) - then you just copy those individual clips and paste them when you want them to change and make the changes in the copies

I cut my teeth on Logic just to drive external gear, so I used MIDI more than anything, but MIDI is exactly where you will find it in a different league to Live

I'm seriously tempted too ya know! ;-)

have fun!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:20 am

I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes!!!! :S
http://twitpic.com/c39z9
Last edited by timothyallan on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 am

I recently purchased Logic and am having a lot of fun learning it. Here's a completely random smattering of info:

Check out this set of videos from Dancetech.com, I thought they were quite good: http://www.dancetech.com/article.cfm?th ... E2%8C%A9=0

One small but very useful thing I got from those videos was switching right click behavior to bring up the tools menu. Normally in Logic you have two tools to quick access at any time with either left-click or cmd-left-click. By changing the right-click behavior to bring up the tools palette, you have quick access to all the tools without having to continually assign your two primary tools. The original right-click behavior will then be accessible with a ctrl-left-click.

"x" brings up your mixer

"i" brings up the inspector where you can see your channel strip in the arrange view

alt-dragging a region will copy that region in the arrange window

learn about "global tracks" as soon as possible - this is where the incredibly helpful markers reside, among other things such as time sig changes, etc.

If you want to turn a looping region into a marker, just drag the region into the marker track and voila - this also works in reverse

Sculpture and ES2 are both powerhouses! I highly recommend going through the Instruments/Effects manual, esp. the parts about programming particular types of sounds. They really get you into the signal flow of the instruments so you can go off and experiment further.

That's all I got for now, enjoy!

- Nick

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:57 am

timothyallan wrote:I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes!!!! :S
http://twitpic.com/c39z9
8O

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:42 am

the only advice i'd give is that it takes a really long time to install.

seriously dude, you needed all those "jam" packs?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 am

What do you mean 'not' install the jam packs. Is there another way to make music that doesn't involve using other peoples loops!?!?

Thanks for the dancetech links Nick. The best part is when you can hear the dude light up a smoke with a zippo and take a deep haul off of it while he's giving the lesson lol

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:36 am

ah, this must be what's taking your music creation so long....

i get way WAY better loops now from this cool website called beatport. The loops are already songs that are done, you just drop that into your live set and BOOM instant creation completion.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:10 am

Make use of screensets and shortcuts and screensets and shortcuts and screensets and shortcuts and screensets and shortcuts and screensets and shortcuts... You get the drift.
*** Image GAFM ***